General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sort of a rant... Bike Shop Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-18 4:11 PM

Subject: Sort of a rant... Bike Shop
I feel like crap today, so Im just ranting... forgove me. 

I have a sizeable gift certificate for a new bike shop in Portsmouth.  I have everything I NEED, and I can service my own ride.  I have been in the other day to check stuff out.  There is not a single thing in the store that I can "afford" with this gift cert.  I started out with lofty goals, like sun glasses, new pedals, maybe shoes... then QUICKLY downgraded to clothing, a saddle, maybe some new tires... then ended up looking at things like powder nutrition and energy gels.  

I know they are a "high end" store.  They have always been very friendly, and honest with me.  Great people from my experience-I also know that Portsmouth may be a more affluent area of the state, and Im sure they did a feasability study prior to opening the shop... I get it.  I just feel like there is no place for the average joe there.  I refuse to buy something for the sake of getting it, just because I have the gift certificate.  Im also not going to pay $100 for a jersey with a brand name when my Avero stuff for $30 is just as good. I also know that there is 3 shops within 5 miles that have many more options... do I need a $45 water bottle holder?  ah.... no.

I ll probably end up getting some stuff just to have on hand.  or maybe a $45 water bottle holder to hold my free pumpkinman giveaway water bottle...

2010-04-19 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2799782

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Sort of a rant... Bike Shop
I understand.  The only good triathlon shop in my area is very expensive.  They are great and always helpful but I can't even afford a water bottle there.  There are a few bike shops and again wonderful people, but high prices.  I didn't know that I was getting into the sport of the rich and famous.  I really need a new bike but I don't find something used I'm out of luck.  I think the beariings are going in my front hub and even that small repair is expensive.  Oh well, I do love it so I guess I'll find the money somewhere.  I wonder if I can convince my wife that $2000 for a new bike is a necessary expense!
2010-04-19 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Yeah...there are a lot of high end products there.  I understand what you mean...but here's the deal.  I am a member of their tri club and get 15% off.  I know that's not a lot, but the $40 water bottle cages you are talking about are high end...I bought two light weight cages at the same store for less than $30.  If you really want that high end stuff cheap...go on ebay.  If you want to smartly spend that gift certificate, wait for their sale that they are having, be patient.  The impatient shopper pays the big bucks.  If you need help finding cheap stuff there, let me know....I bought a craft jersey there off their sale rack for $15.  Don't get overwhelmed my friend.
2010-04-20 6:50 AM

User image

Regular
Southern NH
There is also a new bike shop in Epping on 125 north of Walmart.  Very friendly guys.

http://dgcyclesports.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sort of a rant... Bike Shop Rss Feed