United States
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 53s
Overall Rank = 133/690
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:30am. Actually, didn't really sleep very well last night. I was just excited to complete my first half-ironman. Ate 2 cliff bars (Lemon) and some gatorade.
Event warmup:

Some swimming, water was quite comfortable. Swam around 200 yards for warmup. Some light stretching, course visualization.
Swim
  • 37m 53s
  • 2136 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was slightly disappointing. In a way, I aimed to clock 36 min for the swim and it really started out well. Of all my triathlons thus far, this swim start was the best. I hit my rhythm fast and generally had very few problems up until the turnaround.

Problems all started at the turnaround. I turned around and my navigation went to all hell. Tupper Lake is known for it's glaring sun and now I can see why. The sun is just BEATING down on your eyes and you just can't see anything in the water. I had massive problems spotting the return buoys. It also didn't help that all the buoys were ORANGE. So in essence there was no way to tell if I was sighting off the return buoys or the out-bound buoys.

The advice mentioned by everyone was to spot off the smoke tower. For someone who's NEVER done this lake swim before, that advice is practically useless. But at least for next time, I know what I need to do to get this swim down. A really rough swim course though as well, as there were currents and all as well.

The next problem occurred about 3/4 through the swim when the wave following my group wave started catching up to us. This made the swimming much more difficult as people were literally piling on top of one another trying to get to finish beach.
What would you do differently?:

Must sight better. Have to find a way to keep momentum, this swim should have catered to my strength.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

T1 was fine. I took my time because I was slightly dazed from the swim but quickly got my wits. Shoes and Bike equipment were fine, no problem finding my bike, it was the only one left on the rack. I was practically last in my group! HAHAHA, BOPER is coming back!

need to move quicker. Need to have a sense of urgency in the transition areas. Quit messing around.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

First 10 miles were warm-up. It sucks to get passed. It really god damn sucks to get passed badly in the first stretch of the bike. But it's the advice mentioned by everyone in order to prevent blow ups.

This course is no joke. Rolling hills, you're greeted with a pretty ugly uphill about 3 miles into the bike, it sure woke me up. The rest of the time the challenge was trying to gain enough momentum on the downhills to make it up the next hill. There were very few flat sections.

The first half had a general headwind. The second half also had some headwind but my time was significantly faster as my legs finally got around to actually competing today. It seemed like the way back has steeper uphill climbs but also faster downhills as well. Another problem I noticed was the heat was quickly rising. There were quite a number of people slowing down on the 2nd half (about 20 or so) of the bike... Those last couple of uphills really stunk. Stunk badly!

Can't take off the first 28 miles. I did feel as if I could have probably "gotten" into the bike segment earlier. But as was said, I was at the top of my Zone 1 and didn't want to risk anything this time around.

Also, nutrition is going to be an issue. i need to really evaluate how to set up my hydration system. I've tried front/back/down but need to make a decision as how I want to go about this. There were NOT enough calories consumed on the bike. I drank gatorade+carbopro and 1 GU and 1 Hammergel. In three and a half hours of racing, I had consumed only 500 calories.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Could have shaved another 30 seconds off if i didn't try to go to the porta-potty (was occupied) or look for my sun tan lotion.

Execution has to be faster, much faster.
Run
  • 1h 50m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal. I never realized how hard a half marathon can be (and I come from a marathoning background). The run was sinister in everyway. I considered running my forte but now I can see why a good portion of the triathletes fear the running. The 90+ degrees for the run just made this a miserable experience. It completely reminded me of about a month ago when I did my Long Run in 90 degree weather and suffered a massive drop in performance during this time.

At the 7-mile mark, i clocked around 58 minutes. This basically means I slowed down in the 2nd half of the run. It's the first time I haven't been able to increase speed in a run in quite some time. But the drop in race speed was slight though, around 5-7 seconds per mile.

Some of the running was on trails (from mile 4 onward). This also meant insect issues. I completely forgot to arm my body with repellant but fortunately the unbearable heat acted as a natural shield from the critters. Unfortunately it also meant the heat was repelling me from running any faster. At around mile 9 or 10, there was this short yet intense hill that I jogged over. I didn't realize how SLOWLY I was jogging up this hill until I got passed by someone who was WALKING up the hill. I couldn't stop laughing to myself about this pathetic, yet humorous revelation...

As an overall theme, I never got my HR down to a manageable level. It was racing at about 160-170 BPM for the first 3 miles and even going to the porta-potty. HR was around 150-160s the entire time. At least I didn't blow up until I tried to pass some AG at the end. Saw two AGers with 0.5 miles left, passed one and ran out of gas trying to sprint the other one down. Oh well, next time I'll finish stronger!

Need to get some strides in. Need to completely work on getting the HR level down. While my first 3 miles were slow (around 9+ minutes), I have got to relax more with the run. It was over 10 minutes more than I wanted.

Also, couldn't get solid foods down. For the final 7 miles it was just gatorade as I could sense that any more energy gels and I might cramp up. Fortunately the Carbo Pro on the bike + gatorade gave me enough gas for the run...
Post race
Warm down:

None, got sprayed, cleaned up and jetted to get home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. First Half Ironman for me. This is not a beginner's Half-Ironman type of course either. The swim is tricky. The bike is brutal, and the run was gut-wrenching. With exception of the bike performance, everything else was below average from what I expected execution-wise.

Event comments:

Great organization. The town is really into this race. I would do this course again in a heart-beat. It is definately not an easy race but we do the longer Triathlons not because they're easy, we do it because it's meant to be hard.

The carb pasta dinner was great. The post-race meal was ok though (somewhat disappointing with the selection of foods). But the BBQ atmosphere was fantastic after this event. But volunteers were abundant and were always making sure you made it out in one piece.

Last updated: 2005-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:53 | 2136 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/32
Overall: 336/690
Performance: Below average
Heart Rate Avg 143
Suit: QR Short Sleeve
Course: Upside Down V - shared course with the sprint group.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:54:57 | 56 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/32
Overall: 281/690
Performance: Good
First 28 Miles - 1:32:34 - HR AVG - 133 Last 28 Miles - 1:22:33 - HR AVG - 134
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and Back on Route 58. Rolling Hills, VERY little flat sections
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:48 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 76/690
Performance: Below average
HR AVG - 162 HR Peak at 189
Course: First 5 miles were gradual inclines. Next 6 miles were on trails and mostly rolling/flat course. Last mile was generally downhill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-25 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Half

2005-06-25 9:25 PM
in reply to: #183640

Champion
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Half
Great report Jerry! I'd like to do this race, perhaps next year. It was too close to Lake Placid to think about it this year. Hey I think you had awesome split times, that's still a good biking pace for a hilly course! And your run is good too...I did a big training day today and the heat did not help. I'm sure with cooler temps, your 1/2 IM times will improve as well. Lots of good experience and lessons learned here, that's the important part! Good luck in your next one!
2005-06-25 9:55 PM

Elite Veteran
Congrats! As I read your race report, I thought you were way too hard on yourself. It was your first 1/2 and your times were pretty darn great, especially on a tough course on a tough day. You did great!
2005-06-26 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Jerry, I feel your pain! I can't believe this was your first half. Ugh, you sure picked a winner!
Way to go to stick it out and finish! I did this race too. It was my 3rd half and I was trying to meet a time goal, well I blew up on the bike due to lack of calories around mile 40. I had PR'd in the swim, used tinted goggles and never had a problem with sighting then PR'd in the bike at half way and was so happy about it I pushed more and more because I was beating all my tri club teammates then, it happened, the dreaded BONK! I recovered, but it was so hot by that point that I couldn't push the bike anymore. The run is not even worth talking about. I'll just leave it at that. Cheers to finishing a brutal race in the unseasonably hot weather!
Jeanne
I'll fill out my race report with all appropriate numbers when I have a chance. )
2005-06-26 10:07 PM

User image

Plainsboro NJ
Was my first Half also. Wow what a race finished in 6:18 all I can say is that the run was a death march. After the race I said never again. But now I am looking forward to an Ironman.
2005-06-27 10:28 AM

Geat race!

I have two buddies who did it, and they said it was far harder than it was in past years.
(They both did roughly 6 hours)

The one that has done Lake Placid before said in it's own way the heat and wind made it as harder or harder than the Lake Placid IM was for him in the past.

2005-06-27 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the response!

Actually, when I got ahold of the stats, it seemed like everyone had a tough day with the heat! I am a bona fide, GIDDY MOPer!!! Never been so happy, I felt as if I couldn't finish the race but finished on my own terms to the race and that's what made the event fun. Of course I wasn't thinking like this DURING the race but that's why we do it!

BUT, one funny thing with the statistics which I kind of realized, the numbers don't lie!
It's not about how good you swim or bike. It's about not slowing down on the run. While I completely underestimated the difficulty of the run part (which I consider my forte), it is still the great equalizer once you get to these longer distances...

Swim - AG 19 out of 32 ; 336 out of 690
Bike - AG 21 out of 32; 281 out of 690
Run - AG 8 out of 32; 76 out of 690
Overall AG 13 out of 32; 133 out of 690

The stats kind of remind me of my GMAT score: Verbal doesn't mean anything to your total score, it's the Math (quantative) part that matters.

2005-06-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #184434

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Well done Jerry!!!

I love Tupper Lake and that area of the Adirondacks.  I keep thinking that if I ever do a 1/2 IM, I'd want to do Tupper Lake.

Now you got me wondering.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Half Rss Feed