Set-up, Inc
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 13m 30s
Overall Rank = 345/382
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7am. Drove to race (10min). Pulled bike out of the car, up'ed air pressure in tires. Made sure I had everything in my transition bag. Mixed my bike bottle. Walked to transition and got my race chip. Setup Transition, realized I forgot shot blox and sun glasses in car. Went back to car, got missing stuff, returned to Transition and made sure everything was right. Returned to car around 8am, and ate breakfast. Banana, and lunchable (cheese/crackers). Around 9am headed back to Transition and found a place to sit and relax until 9:30. Put wetsuit on and walked to swim start around 9:45.
Event warmup:

Around 9am headed back to Transition and found a place to sit and relax until 9:30. Put wetsuit on and walked to swim start around 9:45.

Swam for like 1 min before the swim start. Next time I'm going to make sure I get in the water a little sooner to get warmed up.
Swim
  • 42m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The wind was blowing around 15mph so there was some decent chop. First time I've ever swam in anything but flat water so it was extremely difficult for me. Every time I started to get a rhythm either the wind would change or someone who couldn't control their direction would run into me.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get the proper training in for open water swimming. Aside from the fact that I'm a poor swimmer, I need to get the experience of swimming out doors. I'm going to start making frequent trips to Lake Anna to get that experience.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

I was completely exhausted and disoriented after the swim. I had a really hard time even running (which I did) and getting my bike shoes on. (still need to purchase tri shoes so I'm not putting these bike shoes on before even mounting the bike. Putting my shoes on literal took at least a minute. So I lost a lot of time.

Shoes need to be updated. And the number one thing is working on my swim. That will drastically improve my T1.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 8s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went very well. I struggled with my HR mainly because it was so high during the swim. I got it settled down about 3/4 the way through the first lap. The next issue I dealt with was hydration. I only took one bottle of water. I was expecting a water stop on the course. Unfortunately it didn't have one. I struggled with cramping during the first half of the run because of this.

Hopefully improve my swim so my T1 and the start of the bike is smoother. Additionally I'm going to make sure I always take at least 2 bottles of liquid from now on. I'm also going to pre cut my food containers. (for example I struggled a little bit with my shot blox packages)
Transition 2
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

The hydration issue was immediately apparent as soon as I got off the bike. My legs were starting to cramp as soon as my feet hit the ground. Fortunately I had half a bottle of water at my transition. I spent some time stretching before I headed out for the run. Unfortunately I forgot my race number belt and I was sent back after exiting T2. Lost at least 5 minutes on the run because of this.

First not forget something while leaving T2. Second, I'm not going to change much until I get Tri specific bike shoes.
Run
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Struggled with cramping for the first 3 miles. Did a lot of run walk stretch. Fitness was OK. I was definitely tired, however if not for the cramping I'm certain I would have maintained a 10min/mile average.

Hydration. First of all I would make the changes I suggested for the bike. And from now on I'm going to keep a run bottle with me in Transition in case I'm worried about hydration on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. I needed to get home so I packed my stuff and took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim and Hydration. I need to work on the swim and get practice in open water. I also came into this race with very sporadic training. I was sick off and on in January, Feb, and March so this contributed to the lack of proper training.

Event comments:

I'll definitely do this race next year. I rated the drink station as low, however if I would have read/attended the pre-race meeting I would have known there was no drink station on the bike course.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:25 | 1640 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/
Overall: 22/382
Performance: Bad
HR was really high. I was working very hard. The wind was blowing around 15mph so there was some decent chop. First time I've ever swam in anything but flat water so it was extremely difficult for me. Every time I started to get a rhythm either the wind would change or someone who couldn't control their direction would run into me.
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: The course layout was 3 sided square. Not a lot of siting options.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:08 | 24 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 186/382
Performance: Good
HR Monitor was screwed up all day. Not really sure what my average HR was. I believe it may have been a little high. Probably around 165. Wind was a big factor, however the main reason was the swim.
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was rolling. Not much flat. No huge uphills but there was definitely some climb.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:49 | 06.21 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/
Overall: 355/382
Performance: Below average
HR was high. Probably low 160's. (I don't have an accurate Avg. HR because my HR monitor was acting up all day)
Course: Course was rolling. No flats, but no big hills either. The course did have a off road section where we ran about 1/2 mile through the woods. Tree roots were marked with orange paint. It was a very difficult way to enter and exit the race course. The course was two laps, however you only hit the off road section twice as the turn around was before the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 1:26 PM

User image

Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2010-04-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2801811

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Nice race bro..
2010-04-19 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2801811

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Niiice! I just realized what you meant about why you needed new bike shoes. Yeah, big difference between roady shoes and real tri shoes. Free speed for sure!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed