race pensacola
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 9s
Overall Rank = 42/110
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Did not really do any warmup. Ate an egg mcmuffin and topped of fluid one hour prior to race, drove over and got setup.
Event warmup:

Does standing in the water count? I felt pretty good and loose and decided just to wing it.
Swim
  • 33m 27s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Looks like I was pretty MOP for the swim. Spectators said that quite a few DNFd after the first loop. It really did not seem that bad. I just put my head down and tried to practice good form with a good roll. Quite happy with the swim. Would like to get stronger and faster for races later this year. I think I have the potential to speed this up quite a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Probably went a bit wide on the buoys. Never got a chance to draft. Could have run down the beach further and been in with the faster pack that might have given me a chance to draft. As it was I was mostly passing as I got in the water too early and had to dolphin and run through shallow stuff for a long way to the first buoy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Sat and pulled wetsuit off on beach ran into transition, took and endurolyte, shoved two shot blocks down the hatch and took off. Noticed that my Forerunner 305 bit the dust on the swim. Darn.

I was pretty happy with T1. I felt strong after getting the suit off and sprinted to the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

OMG. Wind going out was un fricking real. So glad I got the shorter cranks and have been working on cadence a bit. Spinning at 80 rpm, doing 15mph wiht my HR at 150. Later sub 15mph but HR settled to high 130s and low 140s. Wind was more steady then the super gusty stuff we have had lately, but it was unrelenting all the way to 13 miles. Passing people doing 14.5. Good part was coming back. Hammer time 24-26 all the way back. HR under 130.

Keep getting stronger. Recent adjustments to the bike have helped as I felt very comfortable and consistent going out. Keep improving on that. I think my solo rides have been a good thing as I have been pushing pretty hard on those. They get lonely and boring though. Problem is that the club rides are pretty slow on Saturdays. I think just staying consistent will bring on big improvements. Maybe some speedwork after Gulf Coast. Probably more solo riding if I decide to do AG Nationals in September.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Used the new Brooks Glycerins. I think they will be good racing shoes. Felt strong running with bike to rack, and was fairly efficient in T2.

Not much that I can thing of.
Run
  • 52m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Fairly tough going out into wind. Garmin was not working and I did not like that. Prefer to know my HR. Was very glad to see turnaround. Did not realize how tough the wind was making things until the turn. The neighboorhood went on for about 2 miles and was fairly warm, but the pace held up. Definitely negative split the run.

Not much really. Would have like to have run faster going out, but the wind really held me down and I was worried about pushing too hard
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up wind. WALKING into the wind felt great. Drank a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fat butt. 8lbs down now. Another 5 would go a long way. Since I started taking in more potassium, my muscle weakness is better and my weight finally seems to be dropping again. I am eating 1800-2000 cals a day and am not really willing to eat less.

Event comments:

Pre-race info was minimal. Never got any email about packet pickup, nothing on website. Even the start times were not listed on the site after the entries closed. Website is really disorganized. I think they'd draw a bigger crowd with a better presentation. Sorry that is the SW developer in me! At the race things were pretty good. Started a bit late. All in all pretty good though. Other then the water, the course would be flat and fast if there was not wind. The later is not terribly likely along the Gulf of Mexiceo. Back side of run got warm, but not unbearable. I don't really think they had food readily available at the finish, but I was not hungry so I did not look for it. They did hand us a bottle of water.

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:27 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Good
Felt pretty good. Took it fairly easy on the first looped. Pushed a bit on the second. Kind of worried about pushing hard as the bike was going to be tough going out.
Suit: old ironman suit
Course: 2 loop course marked with nice big orange buoys. Gulf was bad today so they moved it to the sound. Strong current to the east with a heavy chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:16 | 24 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 44/110
Will get this later.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostly and out and back along the Gulf. We did have one section of neighborhood with some tight turns. The bike handles well and I was pleased with my cornering. I think all the mtb riding has helped with this as I turn now without loosing as much speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:27 | 06.2 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 41/110
Course: Out same direction as bike, turnaround in neighborhood, run back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-25 2:15 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Subject: 2010 Bold Eagle Triathlon

2010-04-26 5:18 AM
in reply to: #2815133

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: 2010 Bold Eagle Triathlon

Great job!  You probably would have won your AG even if there had been 100 people in it.  Super warm-up for GC!!!

2010-04-26 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2815133

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Subject: RE: 2010 Bold Eagle Triathlon
Thanks Cheri.  Alas, there are some 45-49 women in this area that can blow me off the road in their sleep (Wendy and Christine). That's great as they make me set my goals a bit higher.  They didn't race this weekend. None the less, this is the most fit I have been in 4 years, so I am very happy. I hope to keep improving throughout the season. Hope you recover and can get out there later this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Bold Eagle Triathlon Rss Feed