Portugal
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 31m 16s
Overall Rank = 63/359
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Lisbon on thursday night, 2 days before the race (saturday). I reserved the hotel at 200m from the start/arrival area and on friday I went out for a 30mins cycling, 30mins running and 30mins swimming on the race venue. I rehersed 2x loops as in the race. Organization seemed not to be very promising with lack of informations and very small start area. The transition area was setup only on sat morning so checkin only on raceday.
At lunch I had portuguese Bachalau (grilled cod) with boiled potatoes. Then for dinner I attended the pasta party at the hotel with several kind of pasta, grilled chicken, salads and nice cakes. I ate without caring too much that it was the day before an Half Ironman but it was a lower priority race for me.
Event warmup:

I woke up at 4.30am, start at 8am. I had 2x sandwiches honey and banana, then a large cup of coffee and then another 2x slices of plain bread. BCAA 2 hours before the start and then just plain water.
50mins before the start I went for 15mins running warmup.
Then at 7.40am I entered the water for 10mins swim warmup.
Swim
  • 32m 49s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last week I did on the swimmin pool a 1.9km test, race pace, not pushing hard and I did 35'02". I was expecting around 33'00" with the wetsuit and I did it. No surprises.
What would you do differently?:

I started at the front and I would go a little bit behind since I was passed by several people swimming over me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I was out of triathlon races since 2 years and I had a little bit of panic organizing again after long time the T1-T2.
I decided not to wear the watch on the swim to avoid being stuck with the wetsuit on the wrist.
It was ok but my the transponder on my left ankle made me loosing 30secs I guess. I had to seat on the ground and being patient to remove it.

More lubricant on the transponder.
Bike
  • 2h 31m 8s
  • 90 kms
  • 35.73 km/hr
Comments:

I kept the pacing very well with my power meter, avoiding burning legs for the run. It was my first time on a race with the power meter and I tried to follow forums and books suggestion on keeping 80-85% of FTP on the Half Ironman. At beginning it was difficult to keep it because I was at 95% so I had to slow down immediately controlling the fresh legs.

Starting even slower at 80% or so.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

It was a quick transition even if I am not doing it with riding with feet on top of the shoes.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 22m 54s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 03m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I did the 10km on my Garmin in 40'16" so 4'02/km. The last 10km was more on the 4'10"/km. I felt very well on the course, very motivated but on the last 5km of the run, I wanted to push more but I couldn't. So I kept the pace and close the race.

Starting a little bit slower.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:49 | 1900 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/359
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit Orca Sonar
Course: The course was a 2x loops on an artificial salty lake, beside the sea. Very easy to locate the buoys and excellent cornering on my course. Not so crowded and nice swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:31:08 | 90 kms | 35.73 km/hr
225Watts normalized average which is 83.6% of my FTP 138bpm HR average which is 89% of my LTHR
Wind: None
Course: 4x loops on the main highway closed to traffic. Nice to push with the TRI bike and only one hill with 75meters ascent in 1.5km to be done 4x times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:22:54 | 21.1 kms | 03m 56s  min/km
HR average around 153bpm
Course: 4x loops flat along the sea. Each lap should have been 5.275km but it was less according to everybody. Probably the half marathon was 1km less.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No