OKC Marathon Inc.
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 22/7225
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/424
Pre-race routine:

I was up around 4:25AM and out the door on the way to the race by 5:15. I had my traditional bowl of plain oatmeal for breakfast before heading out and a tiny cup of coffee.
Event warmup:

Once getting to downtown OKC, I made my way to the memorial with the masses of people and stood in line an hit the restroom. I then made my way to my race corral and weaved my way through the people toward the front.
Run
  • 1h 24m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great during the run and even set a personal half-marathon record by over 30 seconds. Prior to this race I didn't do any speedwork and just raced this as part of my training for Ironman KS 70.3. I felt like my endurance from my long bike rides and runs helped me out there. My goal was to be under 1:30:00 and I beat my expectations out there. 6:30 mile pace felt suprisingly comfortable for me. I ran the first 5 miles with the overall female leader in the marathon. She was running 6:30 pace and I thought I'd just latch on her group...it was kind of neat because since the race was being aired on live TV I was able to follow the guys filming. Whenever the red light went on the camera I knew we were on TV...it was exciting. I was feeling pretty relaxed out there and tried to be a ham for the camera. Since I was feeling so good I pulled away from the group and caught up with a guy I knew and offered some words of encouragement to him (he was running the marathon). I felt great and took off from him too. I remember picking people off for the rest of the race (I don't actually remember getting passed the entire race so that was encouraging). I was feeling great and I even remember one of my last miles of the race being under 6 minute pace. As I was nearing the home stretch I noticed that I was gaining on Joan Benoit Samuelson (former Olympic gold medalist and American marathon record holder)...I kicked in to try to catch her, but ran out of road. She finished just ahead of me (I had actually envisioned sprinting past her and running through the banner they pulled out for her to break as the top female winner...I'm sure I would have been booed though). :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...perhaps train for the event as an "A" race. More long runs, longer long runs, much more speedwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much...walked through the finish, shook hands with Joan Benoit Samuelson, got my finisher's medal, and then tried to locate my family. After finding them we went and ate some of the free post race pancakes and watched the marathon finishers on live TV.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race and the course. I'll certainy do this one again...maybe the marathon next time.

Last updated: 2010-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:03 | 13.1 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/424
Overall: 22/7225
Performance: Good
Course: I enjoyed this course. It was nice and cool out with a wind about 15-20mph from the NW. This course had some nice rolling hills and people spread out offering encouragement along the way. I specifically remembering somebudy wearing a gorilla costume and a giant banana costume at the top of "Gorilla Hill."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes