Canada
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 25s
Overall Rank = 48/234
Age Group = 16-19
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in hotel, woke up, ate cereal, instant breakfast mix. Had too much dairy, felt sick between race start and breakfast.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit, tried to stay warm. Very nervous, it was my first try at this distance and a very, very tough course.
Swim
  • 31m
  • 780 meters
  • 03m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started like an idiot. I didn't realize how many people their was, and seeded myself terribly. I was one of the first into the water and am not a strong swimmer. After about 100 meters, I ended up having to swim to a shore, stand up, and wait for people to pass before going back in. Took me a long time to settle in. Once I did settle, I set my fastest swim pace ever. I was constantly off line, had troubles drafting, but smashed my previous best swim pace by a ton. My calves started to cramp at about 1 km due to the cold. Created some problems in T1, but just made me kick less.
What would you do differently?:

I would have seeded my self WAY back. I enjoy passing people over been swam over.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Due to my calves cramping up, I literally fell over. Ended up doing everything from my knees while my calves calmed down. Gave them a quick stretch. This was my first time ever taking off a wetsuit, and it went good. I was able to get my bike up to speed very fast.

Not have my calves cramp. Otherwise it was a perfect transition.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 58s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.01 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was like nothing I had ever seen or ridden before. We were hitting 65+ km/hour on the downhills without pedalling. The climbs back up were forcing some to go back and forth(from shoulder to shoulder) to slowly get up the summits. There was a very large hill at the very start that killed a lot of people right off the bat. I was hitting 35+ km/hour for the few (10 or so) km of flats, so that was good. Made up a lot of ground on the bike, it was good. Past a few groups that we almost pace lineish. There wasn't a single draft marshal on the course, and some people were taking advantage of that.

I would have saved a little more for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Fast transition. Slipped on wetgrass while putting on shoe, fell over(twice in one day!) but stuck the shoe on fast, pulled my laces and was off.

Nothing!
Run
  • 42m 23s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 14s  min/km
Comments:

In the sprint tri's I have done, I have always had a top 5 run time overall. I thought I could duplicate that here, but the combination of hilly course, first time at distance and lack of proper run training due to injury, I made a huge mental error. I went out way to fast, then crashed hard on my third lap. Lost a lot of time, but still finished very strong. I passed 6 people on the final 400 meters and, for the first time in my tri career, felt like I truely left it all out on the course!

Go out slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Had my bloodly toes looked after, stretched out, drank a ton of water-downed gatorade, had two bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run.

Event comments:

Incredibly well done race. We saw an aid station every 2.5 k on the run, the swim course was weed free, and the bike was incredibly tough. With most of the bike courses around here set for speed and not climbing, it was great to be able to flex my climbing muscles in a race.

Last updated: 2005-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:00 | 780 meters | 03m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 141/234
Performance: Good
Suit: Full body hammerhead
Course: 3 lap triangle course.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:58 | 40 kms | 30.01 km/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 46/234
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Was one tricky lil bugger. With 5 major climbs, one with starting within the first 100 meters, it was not a course for any speed records. A 40k loop. Winds were only 10 k/hour, so nothing major at all.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:23 | 10 kms | 04m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 30/234
Performance: Average
Course: 4 laps. One large hill, one large descent.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes