Sportspectrum/Local tri club
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 35s
Overall Rank = 7/35
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Awoke at 5 AM after getting to bed around midnight. Had 2 cups of coffee, an ensure, water and downed 3 endurolytes, one lava salts tab and 2 Immodium. Geesh, I sound like Brian PBN! A half hour before I thought I'd start, had one hammer gel with caffeine (espresso) with water.
Event warmup:

Rode a couple of easy miles on the bike, ran 5 minutes and then swam about 5 minutes.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This is a small tri put on by the local tri club. At the last two races, my AG has been the first to start. Just before psyching myself up, they announce the waves. I was prepared for starting first, but found out I'd be in the last wave. Hung out for an hour+ cheering on friendis in prior waves. Once we started out swim, I just swam. No problems, no worries. Lost track of where I was with respect to distance, but tried to stay strong.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have pushed it a bit more. A couple of my friends in the lap lane over finished in just about the same time and I think I'm a stronger swimmer than they are. No biggie.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No issues. Got to the mount line at the same time a friend I introduced to tris. She almost fell over and I asked her if she was okay. She said yes and I let her go first.

If I were a killer, I'd probably just clip in and go. Screw her. But that didn't seem to be the point in today's race.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm better at hilly courses than flat ones, but I decided that this was a flat course and I was going to test my fitness. My girlfriend (who I let go first out of T1) took off like a bat out of hell and I let her go a bit. She is super competitive and I've ridden with her enough to know that I've had to pull her ass on several of our bike rides. Kept her in sight, but tried to take it easy in what I later learned was a bit of a headwind. 1/3rd of the way into the course I caught and passed her. We then went up a hill (my strength) to a turn around and I knew she woudn't pass me back on the bike. Just tried to hammer it home with the tail wind. Since I'm a "strong" climber, on this flat course, I'd just hammer it for a while (25-30 revolutions) and then back off. I biked harder this leg than I ever have in my life. At times I was worried about my run, but then I thought, "Who cares? This is so not my 'A' race.

Another tri girlfriend passed me about 1/2 mile from the end of the bike leg, but this was totally expected. She's a great biker. As she passed me, I asked her what took her so long. No worries.

My bike average was about 18.7 which was the fastest bike split I've ever done in my life. Thanks, bike challenge.

If this were my 'A' race, I might not have asked my friend if she was okay and let her go first out of T1.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nothing much to report. As I was bending over to put on my running shoes, I got a cramp in my upper abdomen. Strange. Went away when I stood up. Took off helmet and shoes, put on running shoes, grabbed race belt and hat and went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Both of my friends and I essentially exited T2 together. The competitive one (the one I let go first at T1) is a runner. We were together for about the first 50 yards and then I just pulled away. Kept my run fast but in control. It was sooo much fun. We ran through a subdivision and a family with young kids were out there with a hose and asked if I wanted to be sprayed down. I said sure, and thanked the 2 YO Batman and 3 YO Spiderman boys who were cheering us on. Since it was a small race, and we were in the last wave, there weren't too many runners on the course to track down. Didn't drink but did pour water over my head/down my top when I had the chance.

At about a mile and a half into it, I had just passed a male runner from an earlier wave and then jumped into a 'sprinkler of opportunity' in this subdivision. The young guy yells to me that he has water if I need it. I thought that was very sweet so I dropped back a little and squirted some of his water over my head. I think he needed a pacer.

From prior experience, I know that the #1 in my AG is tens of minutes ahead of me. No way I could catch her (but if I did see a pig flying over my head, I'd drop young guy in a nanosecond), so I just settled in to push the pace for him. I'd dropped my girlfriends a long way back, and frankly, they didn't look very good. I felt fantastic.

Had to pull in front of my new friend at the last stretch and I finished strong. Felt great.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and waited for all of my girlfriends to finish.

Event comments:

This race was huge fun, and one that I think the original creators of the triathlon would have been proud of. Since it was a local, small race, we've all raced against each other for 4-8 races. I think we all just encouraged each other and cheered each other strengths and exploited each others' weaknesses. Pre-race we cheered oun the various Mermen racing and we had a great time. Since this wasn't anybody's 'A' race, it was just about having fun. And we did.

I also had the great good fortune to met a fellow BTer, mnewton. What a charming man who had a good race sporting his Javelin gear. His wife wasn't there (she's due in Sep so I hope she was in the AC with her feet up). The one or two of you who read this, if you come to River Cities in August, you'll get a chance to meet him as well. Great race, mnewton!

Final note. Took second in my AG. I was 7 minutes behind #1 so there is no way I could have caught her (she is wicked fast), but my new found bike fitness helped me with a fantastic run. I was 5 minutes ahead of my next nearest competitor (the runner) and I beat both my SIL and her husband by 11 minutes and 5 minutes, respectively.

Thanks for reading.

Last updated: 2005-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 0/35
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Performance: Good
Out and back on a flat course. One turn over railroad tracks and one hill. Some light winds.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Performance: Good
Flat course through a subdivision.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-27 8:27 PM

Elite Veteran
Subject: Sunrise Series #3

2005-06-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: #184934

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Sunrise Series #3
rock on lynda!! Great race, that gal 7 minutes ahead better watch out. Hope to meet you at River City.

Ken
2005-06-27 9:35 PM

Elite Veteran
Ken,

I sincerely hope that you and your wife will be able to make it to our carbo-load the night before our 'A' race. No real details yet, but we'll try to make it fun. Look forward to meeting you.

Edited by lynda 2005-06-27 9:36 PM
2005-06-28 12:43 AM

Champion
Wow what a great race and a neat report too. Sounds like you had a blast...and that's what it's all about. If we can't do this and have fun..."A" races or not....then what are we doing in the first place? I love reading reports by people who are all psyched up about how they did. There are highs and lows during every race, but sounds like you got it all put together in good perspective.

Now about that flying pig...
2005-06-28 8:38 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great race! It was a lot of fun to meet and talk with you. I look forward to seeing you again at RiverCities and maybe we can get a group to ride the RiverCities course sometime (although I will be out the weekend of the 15th, because I am getting all four of my wisdom teeth out).

Great job! Keep up the hard training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunrise Series #3 Rss Feed