General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-20 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2831312

User image

Ponte Vedra, Florida
Subject: RE: Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread

I would say that you are way faster than I am.  I took 6:58 to get around three times.  I did want to be conservative though and spent lap 2 and part of 3 riding with others and probably would have gone faster alone.  But not that much.  I was what I expected.  The wind was there and the heat and I hope they are diminished on race day.

My bike time is not that important to me, I want to run the marathon.  I can make up hours if I run instead of walking for 26.2 miles.

My Garmin reports 3,628 feet of climbing on the day.  Not bad for Florida.

2010-09-21 3:14 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa
I hope it isn't as windy like it was on Sunday. I don't think I'll be doing the ride in 6 hours but will def shoot for under 7 hours on race day. Like you, I would like to run as much as I can of the marathon. Good luck to everyone with these last 4 weeks. Can't believe it's almost here.
2010-09-28 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3109141

New user

FYI, all...there's a new run course this year. The two years I did it ('05 = finished, '08 = DNF) there was three loops around the lake. Brutal, at least for me, mentally.

This year, it's an out and back loop that we complete three times. So, it might still be mentally brutal, but it will be (I'm assuming) much safer, not being on the streets around the lake at night.

Don't know if this was posted or not here.

I might try to ride the first two loops of the course two weeks prior (can't do it this weekend...).

Good luck to everyone.
2010-10-05 10:09 AM

User image

Ponte Vedra, Florida

two weeks prior is this weekend.  I rode the first two loops again last Friday and am going to try and do it again this weekend.  It may be Sunday though.

2010-10-11 2:40 PM

User image

Ponte Vedra, Florida

Is anyone considering a wetsuit?  I understand that they are generlly allowed, the temp. is low enough.

2010-10-12 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi all...thanks to everyone for all of the valuable information on this race.  My brother and I will be participating in the 2010 Great Floridian next weekend.  This is our first iron-distance event, which happened to start out as a 'bucket list' item.  However, our mother is battling a re-emergence of cancer and as a result, we have a renewed sense of purpose for the race.  

We live in North Florida, so while we do have some hills, I don't think they compare to what's in store for us in Clermont.  That said, we did what we could in training.  We followed a loose variation of the 36 week plan from Tri-fuel, making adjustments for family (I have four daughters under the age of twelve and an incredibly supportive, amazing wife/sherpa), church, work, injury and life in general. Other than Saturdays, virtually all of the workouts occurred at dark-thirty in the morning, or slightly before.  Sundays and evenings were mandatory family & rest days. 

We are hoping for wetsuit-legal water temps and although we are prepared to swim without them, we will be a tad disappointed if we have to do that.  What can we say??....we like floating before a nice bike ride. 

We are now in taper (sleep in until 4 am....sad, but true) mode.  Wishing everyone the best for October 23.

2010-10-12 2:11 PM

User image

New user

Georgia
I have a question related to the swim that I can't seem to find the answer to on the web page. I am doing the Iron distance but there are other races going on simultaneously that day. Do the other distance races use the same swim course? Will the half iron distance be swimming along with us or starting later and potentially power over us slower swimmers? Thanks!
2010-10-12 2:29 PM

User image

New user

Georgia
Never mind....I did see that the half iron distance starts at 9:00 so there is potential for the super speedy swimmers to catch the slower swimmers doing their second loop but for the most part it should be fine. However, we will be joined by the aquabike and open water swim participants.

Edited by jenbeast 2010-10-12 2:52 PM
2010-10-15 8:35 AM

User image

One week to go!!! Early forecasts are showing a low of 64 and high of 84. Winds 10-15mph. Looks like its going to be hot/windy.
2010-10-17 6:35 AM

User image

Does anybody know if the Run course is partially shaded .... any shade ?  Thinking about the heat on the run....
2010-10-19 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3156225

User image

Ponte Vedra, Florida

there is not much shade on the run.  somewhere betwen 1 1/2 miles and 2 miles there is a little but otherwise its open.  since the run was moved to the trail there is also a hill that you have to run up on the way back to the lake.  consider it a bonus.

I did the 1/2 ironman there and we ran that path, it will be a little longer and there are three laps instead of 2, but I didn't mind it at all.  It was OK and there won't need to be as many aid stations this way either.

see you thursday at the pasta dinner.

2010-10-20 7:08 AM

User image

Well, that's it folks...my brother and I just finished up our last workout (hallelujah)!! Time to pack and get on the road. Safe travels to everyone and see you all there.
2010-10-20 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Tampa
Good luck to all of you too! See you on Friday. Missing out on the Olive Garden deal but I'll surviveUndecided.
2010-10-26 6:35 AM

User image

Congrats to everyone !!!  What a tough course ! It was my first Iron-distance so I don't have anything else to compare to.   Hills, Wind and Heat !!!!  But I finished !   2nd in AG.....  !     Overall, I didn't think the race was well organized, but I guess you get what you pay for....  Hee hee .  
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Great Floridian Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2