United States
90'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 18m 26s
Overall Rank = 366/693
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 69/110
Pre-race routine:

Went to the McDonalds down the street and ate breakfast. Tried to get my nerves in check. This being my first half I didn't know what to expect. Hearing the temps would be in the mid 90's made me really nervous.
Event warmup:

Relaxed as much as possible and hung out with the wife and kids. Figure no stretching needed due to temps and length of race. Focused on staying hydrated which would be a constant theme for the day.
Swim
  • 33h 45m
  • 2136 yards
  • 1h 34m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Due to high temp and race distance I decided to take it slow and safe. I stayed at the back of the wave and swam as far to the outside as possible. Water was very choppy swallowed a lot of water. I got into the groove at the halfway point started to slow down my kick in order to avoid cramps in my calves. trained a lot for this event so it didn't take to much out of me.
What would you do differently?:

Go out a little quicker
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

everything went well I need to find ways to get my transition down to the mid 1 min range.

not wear socks think what i can do differently to speed up time
Bike
  • 3h 08m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I hardly trained at all for the bike, well to be honest I didn't train at all for it! So I decided to ride at a very comfortable pace. felt good until the last 15 miles or so. Back and neck got very stiff.

train train train!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

went well hydrated and took off

nothing
Run
  • 2h 30m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Like most everyone else I felt like I was at death's door. Walked through all aid stations and just focused on staying hydrated. Not training for the bike probably took a lot out of me. A guy I was talking with said this was his fourth tinman and by far this was the worst conditions he had ever seen. Another guy told me he did the Lake Placid Ironman last year and that this half was harder than the Ironman he did! So that gives you an idea how ridiculous the conditions were.

nothing, conditions dictated all our fates.
Post race
Warm down:

just sat and tried to stay cool sprayed with cool water. My kids ran with me to the finish and that was pretty cool!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wether hot hot hot hot

Event comments:

volunteers were awesome. They were our savoirs literally. My wife said all she heard all day were sirens from the emergnecy vehicles and from what I saw from the results page a lot of people did not finish. I'm proud to have just finished this race. After the race I told myself never again, but now I am thinking about signing up for the Lake Placid Ironman.

Last updated: 2005-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
33:45:00 | 2136 yards | 1h 34m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/110
Overall: 156/693
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: upside downv-shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:08:00 | 56 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 79/110
Overall: 427/693
Wind: Some
Course: out and back course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:27 | 13.1 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/110
Overall: 389/693
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-28 9:17 AM

User image

Plainsboro NJ
Subject: Tupper LakeTinman Half

2005-06-28 9:38 AM
in reply to: #185243

Subject: RE: Tupper LakeTinman Half
I was there too.
Swim was nice and relaxing. I'm in the 30-34 group and I swam on the outside lane. It took me 42 min.
The Bike was a challenging out and back. Going out was uphill (mostly) with a little head wind. Coming back I hit one of the hills and topped my speed at 42 mph. The last 5 miles I started getting abdominal cramps. It slowed me down a bit. Next year I'll pick up my pace a bit. It took me 3:09 to finish.

I felt like we were walking on the sun when I hit the streets
I have to agree with you on the run. I was walking as much as I ran. The run took me 2:34. Normally I run a half marathon in 1:40.

The BBQ was alright but I was too dehydrated or overheated to eat much. I'm ready for the next HIM though. It can't be worse.

2005-06-28 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Awesome bike time for not training! You amaze me! I have to admit I laughed at your McDonalds breakfast but hey if it works stick with it.
2005-06-28 2:36 PM

User image

Plainsboro NJ
well i thought that the pancakes would be good for the cabs and I had some Orange Juice and I left the other greasy stuff for my kids and wife.lol My best Half marathon time is in the low 1:30 range so I couldn't believe my time. I have run four marathons and I am here to tell you none of them felt as painful as the run at tupper!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper LakeTinman Half Rss Feed