General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrenceville, Georgia
United States
Tri2Remember Foundation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 18s
Overall Rank = 48/127
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Drove two hours Saturday for packet pick up and stayed in a hotel near the Mall of Georgia with my son. Got to bed around 10 PM after going through all my gear. Wasn't nervous or even too excited to sleep which was good. Set the alarm on my cell phone for 5 AM. My son did the same. Then I set the hotel alarm clock and called for a wake up call. My son said 4 alarms was excessive. I agree but I wasn't going to oversleep.

Woke up the next morning thinking it was near 5 AM. Looked at the clock and it said 2:53. I rolled over. That can't be right. I rolled back over and the clock showed 2:54. Two more hours to sleep! But what about that hill coming out of transition? And that other hill around mile 7? Is my race number on my belt? What am I going to drink with breakfast? My mind went into hyper speed on questions that I didn't have answers to. Besides, it was 3 AM! Roll over and close your eyes and sleep. Look at the clock - 3:11. Stop thinking and sleep - 3:28. Now all I am thinking is I really need to get some sleep! 3:47. Do I go ahead and get up? What if I don't go back to sleep? I still have to drive two hours after the race. Roll over again and it's 4:11. Finally, I must have gone to sleep because the first of four alarms went off and I jumped out of bed. Then the other three went off. My son wanted to know why triathlons have to be so early in the morning.

Ate a cinnimon raisan bagel, honey and oats granola bar and two fig newtons. Drank a bottle of powerade on the way to transition.
Event warmup:

Did some minor stretching and nothing else. Figured I would be plenty warm after the swim.
Swim
  • 05m 15s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I let Coldfire go in front of me so he wouldn't have to swim over me. I stayed on his toes for the first 7 lengths. Then I let two guys behind me pass at the wall and never saw Coldfire again until the finish.

The swim was good. I was kicking a lot more than normal and felt my legs getting tired about halfway through. I tried to limit the kick the last few lengths and just pulled harder. The time includes climbing up the stairs of the pool, running out the door and around the building to the parking lot where transition was set up.
What would you do differently?:

Mot much. There was one or two guys I could have passed but just didn't feel the effort was worth it. For the first event I was pleased with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Got to transition and first thing I did was put on my socks and shoes. Foolishly didn't even step on my towel to clean my feet and had dirt, gravel on my feet from the run through the parking lot. Should have done sunglasses and helmet first, then shoes. Goal time was 2 minutes so I am pleased with this time.

I practiced the flying mount with shoes on bike the week before. I can do it but was not sure about doing it with the downhill and two sharp turns coming out of transition parking lot. Will work on that. Also, need to bike without socks.
Bike
  • 34m 56s
  • 8.5 miles
  • 14.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The distance was advertised as 8.5 miles. The map that Tri2Remember sent out shows it as 8.9 miles. Didn't matter. I'm still slow. I started riding on March and have not done the time on the bike that I wanted. The hills kill me. I hit 38.6 MPH on one downhill and hit 35+ on several others so the speed going up the hills was a crawl. This will get better with more time on the bike.

I didn't drink ANYTHING while riding the bike. I have to stop doing that. I just don't feel comfortable yet reaching down, getting the bottle and drinking. I will get an aerobottle soon which will be easier to work with.

Ride more. Climb more hills. Get the aero bottle so I can drink on the ride. Get more comfortable at high speed and don't chicken out and stop peddling when going downhill. Around 35 mph I start looking to slow down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Running on pavement with cycling shoes and cleats is something I should practice. Or, do the flying dismount like I practiced. I will work on that and plan on doing it during the next event. My socks were soaked and that make putting on the shoes slower. I couldn't get my bike to stay in place as it keep leaning over and hitting other bikes. Finally got it to stay still and took off with race belt in hand. Goal time was under 1 minute so I was close.

Flying dismount and bike and run without socks.
Run
  • 21m 1s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I would be fine on the run. I have not run that much but this was only 2 miles. There was an aid station at the beginning of the run and you pass it a total of three times on the run. After not drinking on the bike or in transition I knew I needed some water. I got a cup but could not get any down. I couldn't swallow. About halfway around the first loop I got a side pain that stopped me. I have never had one hurt that bad. It was high up on the left side just under my arm. I tried to walk it off. That is when I decided the race was over and I just wanted to finish. I walked to the top of the hill and part of the way downhill before running again. At a very slow pace I jogged the next lap and then picked it up a little before the finish. I got geezered by a 63 year old, chicked by several ladies, and teenie boppered by a skinny 13 yr old boy.

Train for the run! I am going running today. Take in fluids on the bike and in transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a water and walked around some. I met Coldfire and MultisportMinistries, both named Brian before the swim and talked to them after the race. Great job Coldfire! Did you see the time for the guy that won? His bike avg was over 23 on those hills and under 6 min/mile on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just starting to train in January and now know I need to train much more to reach the goals I set last December. Looking forward to the challenge and I hope they have this same event next year. It will be a good test to see improvements from this year's results.

Event comments:

The website said: T-shirts and Finisher Medals awarded to all participants. Proceeds directly benefit the research for a cure for Alzheimer's.

I got the t-shirt. Did anyone other than age group winners get a medal? I didn't see anyone handing out finisher medals. Not a big deal but that is what they advertised.

Had a great time and look forward to doing more events throughout the year.

Last updated: 2010-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:15 | 273 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 19/127
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugio tri suit
Course: Snake swim for 10 lengths of a 25 meter pool. They said we were not suppose to dive. They said go, we jumped in feet first and pushed off the wall. Would have prefered them just let us get in the pool and then tell us to go. Either way, it worked.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:56 | 08.5 miles | 14.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 46/127
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: A square route. Plenty of volunteers and police support. On one four lane road they had an entire lane coned off for the race. Very low traffic on the other roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:01 | 02 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 84/127
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops around some soccer and ball field and then a short path to the transition area and the finish line. A slight climb on the loop and a long downhill on one side of the fields.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 9:47 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint

2010-05-03 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2832987

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint
Good job triathlete!  Great report, sounds like you had fun and are hooked.  Keep after it.
2010-05-03 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2832987

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint
WOO-HOO!!! Congratulations triathlete! You had a good race plus you learned a lot that will help you do even better at your next race. Your description of the way you slept sounds pretty much like the way I sleep the night before a race.

Good job and a good race report.

Anthony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint Rss Feed