General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No future swimming at Walden Pond? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-07 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
Subject: No future swimming at Walden Pond?
FastSplits is reporting a rumor on Facebook that they are contemplating not allowing any swimming at Walden Pond.  Has anyone heard anything about this?
Janine

2010-05-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2844854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: RE: No future swimming at Walden Pond?
I would not be surprised.

DCR runs Walden and Hopkinton. At Hopkinton we've been threatened with tickets for doing OWS. 

Frankly, and without being too facetious, if "safety" is the issue then I think the average obese person walking through a DCR managed park is at much higher risk than we are. Pair those people up with minders if we are to be nannied by life guards.

It's absurd. If DCR insists, then just tell us that swimming it at our own risk (now there's a novel concept) and go back to keeping these parks in great shape (which is what they do best, anyway). 
2010-05-08 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Boston Tri Team also e-mailed their public listserv about the possible prohibition of swimming due to high water levels.  Temporary or not, any ban on swimming would not be welcomed and seems unwarranted.   Swimming is always "at your own risk"!  

I've asked Wheelworks Multisport's board if anyone knows who at Walden we might address concerns or a petition to, and I'll let BT.com know if we take action.

Hopefully this is a scare/rumor and not real...I love swimming across Walden!

Cheers, -Sunny

2010-05-08 4:00 PM

User image

New user

I did the unthinkable!!Wink

I went into the office and asked! (want an idiot!)

Here's the deal, and it doesn't represent any change for us.

The DCR strongly recommends you don't swim at Walden Pond outside the ropes or anytime there is no lifeguard on duty. Since there currently have no guard on duty (or even a beach for that matter) they have posted a no swimming sign. They have no intention of attempting to stop anyone who does swim and acknowledge that they probably couldn't if they wanted to. She added "we can't ticket people for swimming" (interpret that as you like) I pressed "so you won't harass swimmers or pull our parking passes or anything like that?" and she said "no!" she also said that all swimming in unguarded areas (which includes the whole pond until they open the beach) is at "own risk" since they can't rescue anyone in trouble.

So this isn't a change for us.

Edited by waltor 2010-05-08 4:01 PM
2010-05-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2846121

Veteran
Boston
waltor - 2010-05-08 2:00 PM

I did the unthinkable!!Wink

I went into the office and asked! (want an idiot!)

Here's the deal, and it doesn't represent any change for us.

The DCR strongly recommends you don't swim at Walden Pond outside the ropes or anytime there is no lifeguard on duty. Since there currently have no guard on duty (or even a beach for that matter) they have posted a no swimming sign. They have no intention of attempting to stop anyone who does swim and acknowledge that they probably couldn't if they wanted to. She added "we can't ticket people for swimming" (interpret that as you like) I pressed "so you won't harass swimmers or pull our parking passes or anything like that?" and she said "no!" she also said that all swimming in unguarded areas (which includes the whole pond until they open the beach) is at "own risk" since they can't rescue anyone in trouble.

So this isn't a change for us.

That makes me happy
2010-05-08 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Great...but did you ask recently?  Like this week, or since recent rumors?  

Please clarify if we can assume that's their still-standard party line on the risks of swimming?  I hope recent rains/water events didn't change or cloud their thinking.  

Thanks for asking, and sharing, -Sunny

2010-05-10 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I just spoke with a Walden manger from DCR and they are meeting to discuss issues with the high water and submerged hazards.  They know triathletes are concerned.  They expect to update their website soon http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/walden/recreation.htm

I plan to check back on M/W/F this week and see what's new.  Hopefully no major changes.   We'll see... concerned but patient.  

Cheers, -Sunny

2010-05-11 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2846349

User image

New user

I asked Saturday, sorry I thought I already posted this response.
2010-05-22 2:52 PM

New user

Lots of swimmers there today (including me). Did hear some others talking about the no swimming and everyone seems to be re-iterating... No guards. Swim at own risk.

I am also looking for others to do regular OWS at Walden. I work in Boston and it is on my way home and I get out early, so looking to do late afternoon swims during a few times during the weekdays and at least weekly on the weekends
2010-05-22 8:32 PM

User image

Champion
MA
mav talked to head of DER about this issue and hope will report in what she learned.
2010-05-28 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2848091

User image

New user

Medfield, MA
Subject: THERE IS swimming at Walden Pond !
I swam at Walden this morning Friday 5/28 from 6AM - 7AM. Same early am drill as always, with people parking in staff lot and on street. It was very busy, with lots of people swimming. Water is indeed very high (no beach) but also very nice. Great swim and I'll be back there next week!

2010-05-28 8:27 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Because of getting held over at work, I missed a chance to swim with a group of OWS at Walden last night... Waiting for their leader to wake up and actually make a report about the state of evening swimming there...

I wish there was a bus between the Concord Commuter Rail station and Walden. It's a nice walk, but frustrating when train schedules and daylight hours don't quite equal out.

2010-05-28 9:37 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Note from a friend in one of my swimming groups that made the Walden swim yesterday evening: 05/28/10:

"The water was very warm - over 70 degrees, so wet suits definitely not needed.
There's a big flashing sign as you pull into the parking lot that says "no
swimming", but no one stopped us from swimming (there were others too). I
had spoken with Walden earlier in the day to check out their swimming policy
and they said that we were swimming at our own risk, and that's fine by me."
2010-05-28 12:41 PM

User image

Just went down to Walden to get a swim in today (5/28) around noon.  No hassle from any rangers or the few lifeguards that were milling around.  I did however notice a new sign on the path down to the water that says high level of bacteria and chance of illness in addition to the no swimming sign.  Maybe I'm going to get sick later, but for now I'm happy to have gotten in a nice swim.

Also, the water according to Walden's twitter page says its 73 degrees.
http://twitter.com/waldenpondstate

Edited by triandtri 2010-05-28 12:42 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No future swimming at Walden Pond? Rss Feed