United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 32s
Overall Rank = 328/690
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 60/110
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Friday after a beautiful ride through upstate NY. Got registered and checked out the swim, bike and run courses. Got settled into our Hotel and met friends from home there to compete in the race also. (Just a note, my HR monitor had broken on Monday and I did not get the replacement in time. So I was w/o for the race.)

I will also mention that it was HOT, about 90 and humid, same forecast for tomorrow.

Slept pretty well, and got up about 4:30, had breakfast, Cherrios and PBJ sandwich. Bottle of gatorade and H2O. Got my crap together, while trying not to wake my wife. Headed down to the race site at about 6 am. Got myself marked up and began setting up my transition area. Went to get my timing chip and vegged on a bench by the water for a little listening to tunes.

It was 7 am and it was HOT. This was not the day I was hoping for in upstate NY for this race. Weather forcast, 90's and lots o' humidity!!
Event warmup:

Got the wetsuit on and swam a little w/ other folks from home Dave (daveskar), Chris (cdf26.2), Stacey (trigirl069). Swam about 100 yards or so and then just tried to relax again.
Swim
  • 34m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went great for me. The start was a little hectic, but it always is. I stayed to the outside and it opened up quickly. Was able to sight about every 6-9 strokes and stayed on course very well. Never had any panic at all, just got smooth and streamlined. I think this distance was actually a little easier than a sprint, in that, you can get comfortable and get into a rythym, in a sprint it is chaotic the whole time.

Have I mentioned that is was HOT!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. If I could I would "bottle" this swim, and use it again and again.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

T1 went well. The wetsuit got stuck on my heels, but I expected that. Just sat down and yanked it off. Got the socks, shoes, helmet, glasses, endurolytes, etc. and was gone.

Have I mentioned that is was HOT!! I think I heard them anounce that it was 90 at 9am while I was in transition!!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, so prior to race start, we are discussing that becuase of the wind that we will have a headwind on the way back in on the bike. Wrong, we had the headwind on the way out, and it was brutal. I felt great on the bike, but the headwind was brutal and there was gusting crosswinds also. I felt good on the way out, just tried to keep my cadence around 95 and continue to breath easy (as I had no HR monitor, this was my way of keeping the HR in check). I know that I didn't drink enough, but while the accelerade didn't really work for me, my stomach was rebelling against it, I took in alot of water w/ gel and about 6 endurolytes. For the ride I felt really good, never pushed it and was averaging a great pace.

Have I mentioned that is was HOT!!

Drink more, otherwise I thought it went pretty smoothly.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Felt good coming into T2, however, had my first sign of what was to come, when I got a little cramp while putting on my running shoes. Got the fuel belt loaded and on, race number and hat on and off I went.

Not much went pretty smoothly.
Run
  • 2h 33m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I cramped right out of the box. I was about.5 miles from the start of the run and my leg "locked up" w/ a cramp to where I could hardly walk, this was the only point that I thought I may not be able to finish this race. After about 400 yds of serious pain the cramp began to ease up and I knew I would finish, it would not be pretty but I would finish. I fought cramps in my quads (especially my right) the whole run. I was taking endurolytes like they were going out of style and drinking at every water station as well as drinking accelerade from my fuel belt. The gel that I had was useless, thinking about having any make be want to puke. At the water station at about mile 5 I tried a banana w/ H2O, what a godsend. My new motto "Bananas are your friend". After having a banana, the cramps began to subside a little and I was able to run again. I still walked at every aid station and mile marker (they were ataggered) but I was running again. However, now I was not sweating, not a good sign!! I would get water at the aid station, begin to sweat but be dry by the next aid station. This went on for the last half of the race. I really could not get in any more fluids and just had to slow down and take it home carefully. The volunteers were incredible and the locals, so many had hoses out to spray you down, or sprinklers on you could go through to try and keep cool. I thanked everyone that I could, they were awesome.

I don't know that there is much more that I could do differently, the heat was dropping people like flies. It was just survival.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade and got some cold H2O for a while, talked to a few others that had come in that I knew to see how they did / felt. Had some Ice cold Endurox and just tried to get cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity. I achieved my goal time of 6-6:15 hrs, in this heat, w/o it I think I would have been able to come close to 6 possibly sub 6.

Event comments:

For my first 1/2 I was very happy w/ the outcome. In the heat and humidity, to be able to drag myself over the finish within my goal time, I am very happy and proud of that. This is a mentally and physically demanding sport, and I got thrown in the fire just starting out. Will I do this again, you bet your ass I will, and I am already thinking about Tupper '06!!

Last updated: 2004-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/110
Overall: 190/690
Performance: Good
Suit: Exterra
Course: Out and back Triangle, well marked w/ buoys. Though it would be nice to have different color bouys for the way out -vs- back in. Would have made sighting a little easier.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:05 | 56 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/110
Overall: 261/690
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back w/ rolling to pretty good hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:33:27 | 13.1 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/110
Overall: 415/690
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling course w/ little shade from the sun, the first 3 miles or so are pretty uphill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-29 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon

2005-06-29 7:14 AM
in reply to: #186095

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon

Oh come on, it wasn't that hot .  Good work and congratulations.  Hope you had a nice mini-vacation.  Now time to get back to work .

Chris

2005-06-30 12:17 PM

Champion
Great race and race report Dave! Mental toughness, that's what ya got out of it. That heat and humidity throws a lot of your plans out the window. How do you prepare for conditions like that? Makes it pretty rough. You did good just getting through it and not giving up. What were you using for Gels? I've had better luck lately with the Hammer Gels, they seem to keep me going more effectively than some of the other brands.
2005-06-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: #187220

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

max - 2005-06-30 12:17 PM Great race and race report Dave! Mental toughness, that's what ya got out of it. That heat and humidity throws a lot of your plans out the window. How do you prepare for conditions like that? Makes it pretty rough. You did good just getting through it and not giving up. What were you using for Gels? I've had better luck lately with the Hammer Gels, they seem to keep me going more effectively than some of the other brands.

Max,
    I was using Hammer Gel, a mix of plain and apple cinnamon 50/50 which has worked like charm in the past, but the heat was making everything seem disgusting. 

Thanx
Dave

2005-07-01 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Congrats dave!!! We all have been following your training and know how much this race meant to you and how hard you trained. Your time was AWESOME!!! heat, and a frist 1/2 IM and you brought in a time like that!! You could kick 6's butt next time!!

Maybe Frimman next??
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed