General Discussion Race Reports! » Hera Multisport Dip & Dash Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hera Multisport Dip & Dash - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Hera Multisport
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 37s
Overall Rank = 23/65
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/unk
Pre-race routine:

At a small sandwich and washed it down a little more than an hour before the start.

With this being my first open water swim race, I was more than a little nervous, so I pretty much stood at the water line until 5 minutes before the race. When I finally got in the water, I calmed down quite a bit.
Event warmup:

None to speak of.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was pretty windy out, so the water was quite choppy. Over the course of the swim, I kept inhaling water as it splashed in my face. I ended up breathing on my right on the way out and on my left on the way back, but I'm not sure how much it helped.

Sighting the buoys proved to be very difficult on the way back. Seemed like I just couldn't get a clear view through my goggles.

What would you do differently?:

1 - Be more conscious of getting my face out of the water so I can breath without inhaling water.

2 - Wear a face mask instead of goggles to make sighting the buoys easier.

3 - Try and relax more in the water. Focus more on technique and less on where other swimmers were around me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

First swim with a cap, but no problems getting it off my head.

Had my transition area layed out perfectly and didn't waste any time.

Nada
Run
  • 25m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I was absolutely awful on the run. As soon as I started running I knew I had a problem. Sounded like I was having an asthma attack with every breath and I don't even have asthman!!! I must have had water or some other crap in my lungs but just could not get rid of it and never really felt like I could get a good breathing rhythm going because was coughing and spitting the whole damn time. Ugggh - talk about miserable.

I'll be focusing more on the run the rest of the season. This used to be my strongest discipline, but it looked incredibly weak today.

As for the breathing problems, I'm not sure what to do. Next time I do an OW swim, I'll just have to be more careful not to inhale water.
Post race
Warm down:

Short walk and then went to cheer on everyone else who was finishing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I sucked at the run!!

Event comments:

Overall, this was a really fun race. Seemed like just about everyone bailed as soon as they were done though. Weather looked like it was gonna get kinda nasty though, so maybe they just didn't want to get caught in it.

I'll probably do this race again in a couple weeks. If I hadn't had the breathing problems during the run, I think I could have done MUCH better. Glad I did the race though. This was an excellent training day.

Last updated: 2005-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 800 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/unk
Overall: 0/65
Performance: Average
Suit: Performance Tri Shorts
Course: Out and back course followed three buoys straight out and straight back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:31
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:25:54 | 03 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/unk
Overall: 0/65
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back through Cherry Creek park had some minor hills, but was a nice route.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes