San Jose, CA
United States
J&A Productions
Total Time = 2h 46m 17s
Overall Rank = 597/1033
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 35/62
Pre-race routine:

Slept surprisingly well, from 10:30pm - 2:00am, then woke up every hour until 4:30am when the alarm went off. Woke up my friend who was coming with me, got the bike on the car, water bottles filled... only bad part was that Starbucks isn't open at 5:00 and my fan club of one wanted a coffee. At the race I got to rack my bike with my tri-club, Silicon Valley Triathlon Club. It was good to be surrounded by mostly familiar faces.

Bathroom stop as many times as possible. Cytomax Pre-formance drink. Clif Shot Mocha Mocha 15 min before start. I've given up on solid food the morning of an event.
Event warmup:

Get in the lake, swim a little. Be nervous with everyone else. Talk with other dark green caps about past events. Found someone who was in my "B" group swim start at Wildflower.
Swim
  • 28m 15s
  • 1250 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first 1/3 of the swim went well, but then I think I got off course because there was no one to my right. Made it back on track eventually and got run over by the fast swimmers in the waves that started after me.

Got a little grossed out because near the end of the course there were some plants that were within arms reach. I kind of spazzed a little and tried to speed up, but that just threw me off.
What would you do differently?:

Better job sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Wow! My last timed T1 was up around 7:00! I managed to jog all the way from the lake to the transition area. Put helmet on my head before bending down to get wetsuit off and shoes on. Learned this at my tri club - definitely helped with that light-headed feeling after the swim. I put my gloves on while walking with my bike to the bike mount line.

Next up - try no socks.

Overall, I'm happy with the improvement.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 52s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.68 km/hr
Comments:

Headwinds. I felt like I wasn't going anywhere. Kind of a mind game for me too - since my wave was early I just got passed by biker after biker.

I'm glad I practiced the course twice. Bailey Hill didn't scare me and I had a good feeling for what to expect overall.

Had my Camelbak with Cytomax and a bike bottle with water. Ended up tossing the bottle to a police officer (hopefully that's legal!) to throw away for me - around 1/2 way through, I found I wasn't using it and I thought ditching "all that extra weight" would help me up Bailey Hill. Ha ha ha.

Aerobars, ride lots, stay in my own race - don't let everyone else get to me. No bottle to begin with? I like the accessibility of the Camelbak... Unless I get aerobars and one of those bottles with the straws...?
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Gah! One of my neighbors left a towel over my bike rack (not a hang your saddle rack, a put your tire in between two poles rack). My bike ended up falling over. Other than that, it was pretty good. Bike shoes & Camelbak off quickly, running shoes on ok. Took my hat and number with me and put it on as I was running out of the transition area.

Move the towel out of the way before racking bike!
Run
  • 51m 42s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Mile 4 was horrible. I started getting really, really hungry. Otherwise, okay. The sun came out and it started getting pretty hot.

I felt like I had a giant blister right in the middle of my right foot. Turns out there's nothing there! I'm thinking that maybe it's because I use mtn bike shoes w/mtn bike SPD pedals? I've heard of "hot spots" from the small surface area. I didn't feel it in the ride. Outside of my right foot got sore too - maybe from my bike shoes being too tight (update - still hurts on Wednesday after race!) Hmm...sounds like a medical reason to upgrade to road shoes & pedals to me.

Put a Gu in my pocket.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat, eat, drink, walk, strech. Eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual. Should train more, it was really windy, I couldn't eat solid food before the event... All complaints that would sound like whining.

Event comments:

Volunteers and police were great. Pizza as post-race food was unexpected, but pretty good.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:15 | 1250 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/62
Overall: 390/1033
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca speedsuit - full
Course: Around the lake w/a zig-zag at the end
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:52 | 40 kms | 29.68 km/hr
Age Group: 37/62
Overall: 716/1033
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: A loop with some out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:42 | 10 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 25/62
Overall: 506/1033
Course: A couple of out and backs with mile 4 being around a retention pond. Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-06-29 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: San Jose International Triathlon

2005-06-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: #186391

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: San Jose International Triathlon
Good job!
2005-06-29 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on a good race. Your run is amazing after the long swim and bike.

Ken
2005-06-30 12:27 AM

User image

Expert
Great job! Congratulations on making it through those headwinds and up that hill! I had heard about the hill, but wasn't expecting the it to be so tough. You're lucky that you got in early enough to get some pizza (at least my fantasy is that the pizza was good -- maybe I was the lucky one?). I just went to Pizz'a Chicago later to make up for it. I was over on the right at the end of the swim too and kept touching those gross plants. I couldn't get over to the left -- it was like a bad dream. At least there wasn't anything else alive in there!

Mike
2005-07-07 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette

Wow, way to go Kelly. The improvement between the two Oly is simply amazing. If you keep going at this pace you will soon be under the 2h30 barrier, and that is really something. That's my next goal by the way, and I think a very likely one for you to reach.

Keep it up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Jose International Triathlon Rss Feed