General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-11 12:56 PM

Subject: Help!
i did my first IM in april 09 in 12:21 using the 20 week programme.
Temperatures were in in the mid 90s but I managed it.

I did little until the start of His year when  i planned to do Coeur d'Alene at the end of June with St.Croix 70.3 along the way.
I have been using the 17 week intermediate programme and it was going reasonably well.
Until St.Croix!
The heat and the hills flattened me. My tank was empty before the end of the bike and I really struggled on the run with lots of walking. I completed in 6:46 having hoped to beat 6 hrs.

I did nothing in the past week. I was on vacation and it would have been unfair on my wife. In any case I'm not sure I could have managed to do much in the carribean humidity and heat beautiful and all as it is.

I am now back home in Ireland where my training to date was done in 10-50 degree low humidity or indoors (with heating on and no fans to try to get used to termperature.

My dilemma: If I struggled that much in the HIM am I wasting my time trying a full at the end of June?
I have not done any 100 milers yet and running is at 13 miles. I am comfortable swimming.
It looked like the ideal time to do a HIM , 8 weeks in advance.

Is CdA hot and humid? I know its hilly.
Am I just not fit enough or do i need to just kick myself in the butt and get on with it?

2010-05-11 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2851595

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Help!
CDA can be hot but it is not humid, it's a very dry heat. 
2010-05-13 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
from what i heard St. Croix this year was unbelievably hot much more than average and I assume a bit of shock to your system and let's not forget the Beast. give credit where credits due that is one of the nast hills out there not to mention the ones behind it. they can really tax your legs

don't freak out! it was a bad day. and the week off - you and the wife deserved it. now it's reassess and adjust and attack! what worked and what didn't for you - was nutrition? lack of hill training? (but how you preprare for a 20% grade? or the heat?
2010-05-24 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I can't really tell what your fitness is as your logs are not updated.  Due to injury I my long run was 11 miles last week and will likely only be 12 this week.  My first 100 mile bike ride will be this week (although I did a 5 hour mountain ride yesterday).  I don't think we can really answer your question with the information you provided. You have done an IM, so you know what it takes.  I would just say to stay really low intensity for the entire race, knowing that you will be walking with me 8) during the marathon.  Neither of us is going be be setting a PR, but they have my money so I want that finisher's medal.  Join us at CDA group chat for more race related topics.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Rss Feed