Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Think taxes are higher than ever? Think again. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2851764

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: Think taxes are higher than ever? Think again.
Well, I made less money last year AND paid more taxes.

It also does not account for the number of hours each family must work to maintain a household.

I also live in CA, where I see almost no return on my investment for taxes.

The thing that tics me off the most is when people compare CA to other states in spending.... let's take education.

Not only are we low in terms of taking all the $$ spent on education and dividing it by the number of pupils.

This works on the very faulty assumption that, when compared to other states, Sacramento does not waste a huge amount of education dollars in unnecessary state bureaucracy and stupid mandates that do not improve educational outcomes.

2010-05-12 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2853344

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
CubeFarmGopher - 2010-05-12 6:24 AM This may be the underlying data point that is used to support the "Lowest Taxes since 1950" argument but even I agree that the distinction is tenuous.

Federal tax receipts are at their lowest since 1950 as a percentage of GDPThat does not necessarily translate into the conclusion that the tax burden upon individual income is at its lowest since 1950.

From Tax Policy Center:

The table I posted from BEA doesn't relate taxes to GDP -- it's showing taxes relative to personal income.  Unless I'm missing something, that *is* the individual's tax burden, and it is indeed at its lowest point since 1950.
2010-05-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2854060

User image

Tripolar, it is an interesting chart, and it tells me clearly we need to cut spending. It also shows the highest outlay per GDP since 1946!! I am guessing it was still high from WWII and Marshall Plan commitments.

Also, the receipts and outlays are only Federal. I would be willing to bet that average state and local receipts and outlays have increased dramatically from 1950. According to this page, http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=328,in 2007, state and local receipts just about matched federal receipts.

Edited by eberulf 2010-05-12 2:20 PM
2010-05-12 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

IMO the article doesn't discuss the biggest problem our country faces:

Spending....

The government (both dems. and rep.) are spending more than is coming in.  They make campaign promises they can NOT keep.  This is running the country into the ground.  You can't tax people who actually make (and in turn SPEND) money just to make up for a major lack of funds for a bill, it just doesn't work that way. 

Ask any 5 year old, "if I give you a dollar and you want to buy something that is 5 dollars, can you?"  NO!  I understand that is a gross oversimplification, but our country can not stand on bills and programs that are supported by loans and debt.  I, for one, fear for the youth of today and the future that their safety, education, and lives are at risk because politicians today can't be honest and/or financially responsible.

2010-05-12 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2852127

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
AcesFull - 2010-05-11 1:19 PM

scoobysdad - 2010-05-11 3:15 PM
AcesFull - 2010-05-11 3:07 PM

Pector55 - 2010-05-11 2:41 PM Amazing!  It must be true if USA Today found someone to write it up as a story. 

While they do cite a liberal group when doing their analysis, it would be better if there was some counter to the claim, other than "but, but, USA Today!" 

When I bash FOXNews, as I often do, I generally try to cite a more neutral (that is non-liberal media) set of facts.  The reality is, our taxes are not high enough.  Having lived in VA and MN, I can comfortably say that the higher taxes I pay here in MN seem to have an impact in such things as quality of schools, community centers, transportation, parks, policing and govt services.  I may have less in my paycheck, but my quality of life is better.  My children are getting a better education and preparation to take on adulthood in a few years. 

... or it could be because the quality of life is actually higher in Minnesota.

Cause/effect question that can't be well-answered.  There is little doubt the quality of life IS better here.  It also seems that there is a strong correlation between higher taxes in MN and a greater availability of those govt services that rely on higher taxes, such as quality roads, schools, parks, blah, blah, blah...

I'm glad that I live in CA where we have some of the highest tax rates in the country, which should give us the best government services in the country.

But yeah, that doesn't seem to be working out too well for us.
2010-05-12 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Open invitation to those that think we are not taxed enough:  Feel free to send in more or your own money , but stop "volunteering" me to do the same.   I believe the link to the Treasury department website was posted here somewhere...

2010-05-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2852272

Veteran
AcesFull - 2010-05-11 4:59 PM

The point here is not that the EU does it better, but that our supposed super-duper crushing tax rate is actually lower than pretty much everyone elses, and is actually lower than it has beein in 60 years.

I wouldn't say we have a super duper crushing tax rate, however, there are other developed nations with lower marginal tax rates than we do.  Plus, do we really want to revisit the era of the 75% top marginal tax bracket?  Yeah, they are rich...but despite the fact that someone is taking 3/4 of the pie.  Is that really fair?  I mean, on the one hand, we say that we want people to succeed and achieve on their own efforts, but then, if you do succeed, we're going to punish you for those that didn't succeed. 

Just think of this argument next time your first thought is to raise taxes...the rich are already rich, and it is not always because of income, it is often because of assets.  If assets are not sold, there are no capital gains taxes or income taxes to take from the rich.  The soon-to-be-rich are the ones with the high incomes, and are being taxed the most.  By raising the highest tax brackets, we are likely preventing people from becoming rich and by that logic possibly broadening the gap between the super wealthy (who we likely falsely assume we are deriving the most taxes from) and the maybe wealthy.  Unless we end up stripping people of their assets (I hope not!) we are not really increasing the entire breadth of the social mobility ladder...but restricting others from accessing the super wealthy end of that ladder.  We will, of course, still achieve the higher social mobility among lower wealth levels that we do today using social programs. 

I have no data to support any of this, but have used my business experiences to come to these conclusions.  My wealthiest clients pay significantly lower tax rates than my working clients.  The rest is all hypothetical, but it seems to make sense to me.  Feel free to discuss this argument with me as well...maybe we can solve the world's problems together!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Think taxes are higher than ever? Think again. Rss Feed  

of 2