72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Night before:
Nothing major; limited myself to one beer and tried to limit my caffeine intake during the day. Wife made brisket for dinner and it was great. Got to bed at a decent time but my wife had picked me up a new alarm clock. Didn’t completely trust the thing and woke up several times thru the night checking the time.
Morning of:
Woke up at 4:05am and had some quick breakfast. Got dressed and checked the weather. All of the thunderstorms were now east of the race so it looked like a go. Got on the road and hit the storm. Wow! A lot of rain and it really slowed traffic. Was looking at getting there about 20 minutes before the check-in would close. Plenty of time until I saw all of the flashing lights. Looked like two big rigs tangled and they had the freeway closed. Frontage road time and eventually back on the road. Got to the race with a little time to prepare.
Checked-in and found that the water temp was 72, woohoo!! Wetsuit legal. Body marked and timing chip and off to find a spot for my bike.
Found a spot, as there weren’t a lot. Guy next to me had taken a nice big slice for himself but he put his stuff by his front wheel. I set up at my back wheel using very little estate. I was hoping I got everything right as I didn’t have much time. Ran my extra stuff back to the truck and as I was getting back to transition they announced three minutes to close of transition. Tried to get everything set and double checked, race meeting and the long walk to the start.

Swim
  • 13m 1s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Quite a few people were not wearing wetsuits but I definitely was going to. Got in the water just after the first wave went in and just swam around. Water felt good and it was fun swimming out a ways. But I found my first mistake as I still had my wedding ring on, which is loose on my finger. Had to swim with my hand cupped a bit, no big deal but I need to remember that next time.
I was in the third (and final) wave and started heading towards the starting line once I heard the countdown for the 2nd wave (3 minute intervals). Pulled myself up to the start line and just floated. I noticed that there was a little bit of a current going against us as I kept slowly floating away from the start area. Count down and we were off.
The swim is a point to point in a bayou. For most of the swim I just checked the shore on one side and the other swimmers on the other instead of sighting in front of me. We were swimming towards the sun and even with tinted goggles it was tough seeing anything in front of us. My bi-lateral breathing was actually working (surprise!!!) which made watching the left shore easier. Pretty much swam a straight line which was nice change. A little bumping here and there, passed a couple of people and was passed by some. Finally saw the finish line buoy and swam straight for that. Got to the finish, stood up and looked back. There were swimmers still in the water but not a lot. Started jogging with no wooziness this time which was a nice surprise. Saw the clock and calculated a 12 minute swim. But how? I had a good swim! It should be 10 minutes
Swim Results (13:01, 1st place in my AG!)
Actually I did have a good swim comparatively. Out of the 64 swimmers I came in at 25th which is pretty good for me. 1st place in my AG for the swim which just goes to prove that a wetsuit can help a lot! I was a minute faster than the 2nd place swimmer in my AG. I do think the current and the sun was an issue for a lot of folks. Overall, I am happy with the time but feel my 1st place was due more because of the wetsuit then my swimming skills.

Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Ran into T2 with my wetsuit at my waist. Pulled it off pretty quickly (leaving goggles and swim cap in the arm) and started putting on my socks and helmet. I had forgot to setup my Garmin and just decided to ride without it. Was about to head out when I noticed my timing chip was gone! Am I going to pull a Velo on this? Quick search found it stuck to the inside of my wetsuit. Grabbed bike and I was out. 3rd fastest T1 for my AG, not bad considering I had to take off a wetsuit and lost my timing chip for a 10-20 seconds.
Bike
  • 41m 33s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Flying mount, put on shoes and I was off. Got going and was passed by some of speedsters (a bit cool as that means I beat them on the swim and/or T1). I decided to not worry about the run and push the ride some. Attacked the first little hill and tried to push any hill I found. Finally came up to the first person I was going to pass but it was a 15yr old who was all over the road. Basically he was darting back and forth across the lane without a care in the world. I got close and he was nearly riding the center divider, got my coaches voice and boomed “on your left”. He moved over to the right and I passed him and moved to the right to make my point. After this I passed a few others and was passed by one then hit the turn around. My legs were a bit tired but just kept pushing. Passed some more folks and got passed only once. Coming up to the last hill I was behind a rider and just went for it, passed her and up the hill. Once I got close to the end I took my feet out of my shoes, pulled my leg over, and stopped the bike dead on the dismount line as I was hopping off. I used my momentum to keep jogging right into T2. Very cool.
Ride Results (18.8 mph avg, 41:33 total time)
I avgd 18.8 which is faster than my last T-Gator avg of 18.1 (and that was for 10 miles not 13). I do believe the Jorge program is helping and my goal for T-Gator #3 in July will be 19+ for 15 miles. I think the lack of serious leg cramps on the run also points to some improvement on the bike. I came in 6th in my AG and if I am ever going to have a chance to be in the top group I have to get faster on the bike.

Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Helmet off as I was jogging but I missed my spot and had to back up (Mistake #3 – due to lack of time I didn’t do a good job of scouting landmarks for my rack spot). Had to push a bike that was hanging over my stuff over and racked mine. Grabbed my stuff and started putting it on as I ran out. I think marking my spot better and working on getting my shoes on faster will help.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

started running putting on my number, hat and Garmin. Was a little ways out before I felt a twinge in my calves but just kept going. Occasionally a twinge would roll thru but overall I was fine. By the half way turn around I was getting my 2nd wind and picked up the pace. By this time the Garmin was finally working and showing an 8-8:30/mm (8:30 up the hill, 8 for the rest). Passed some people and passed by a few others. As I was coming to the finish line the announcer was calling my name. I added a loud “Woohoo!” to the announcement and was done.
Run Review
I do believe getting stronger on the bike will leave me fresher legs for the run. But I do need to get running more and do some 5k speed work if I am going to do well in July.

Post race
Warm down:

Handed in my chip, grabbed a Gatorade, and cooled down while I waited for my results. As soon as transition was open I loaded up my stuff, changed into some street clothes and made the long drive home.
Summary
Overall a good race despite the chaotic start. Still need to step up my swim training. Biking is improving and I think I will see some improvements in the next couple of months. I haven’t been running much and really need to step that up a little.

Last updated: 2010-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:01 | 500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 25/
Performance: Average
Suit: xTerra sleeved
Course: point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: