United States
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 19s
Overall Rank = /104
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Don't have time from official timer so working off HRM. Worked, got home and packed car, called Subway to preorder food for family...had to get gas, money and pick up subway. Waited for Barbara to show up to go to the race with us...she didn't show, called her and since it was raining she didn't come or call to say she wasn't coming. Drove in two cars so kids and bike fit...felt stressed running a bit late. Everyone was nice and talkative in line. Met the person that was DFL in the 1/2 in Mooseman...and geez I was DFL in the 1/4 at Mooseman...fun to meet him and he was super nice as was everyone...very supportive race.
Event warmup:

No time to warm up. After got in wetsuit swam a little and felt good on the swim.
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 400 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the race announcements, we started 15 seconds later...all 100+ people. I ended up in lots of churning water and behind someone kicking like a frog...I backed off and ended up in the very back of the pack. Ended up swallowing water a bit and stopped and coughed a bunch. There were little tiny waves but it effected my breathing. All my open water swims have been in flat smooth water...this was a good practice. Way back from far bouy was easier since the waves weren't coming at me. There was something in the water that kept getting on my fact...weeds? floating weeds? It was annoying but not upsetting. No panic which was great. I tried to encourage the person that was last.
What would you do differently?:

Start to the side more...not be surprised on the fast start after announcements....try to draft off a swimmer that kicks normal.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt tired coming out of the swim. Only 3 days between sprints...which most likely was not enough recovery. This was a practice Tri and I wanted to give it a try. No rack room so bike was on the ground...didn't bring stool so had to sit on ground..lots of space...all my kids and hubby started talking to me...and distracting. Pulled off part of my helmet padding...couldn't use aero water bottle since bike was horizontal. All in all neede flexibility...adjusted okay...ran a long ways until we could mount our bikes.

Get there earlier to get rack my bike, bring stool, have a hydration plan that works...no spilling water when bike is lying down.
Bike
  • 23m 20s
  • 6 miles
  • 15.43 mile/hr
Comments:

My chain came off on an uphill...so I had to walk to the next driveway to get on...hard to start from a stop on an uphill. Calves were cramped a bit after the swim in T1 and the beginning of the bike...they went away. Passed maybe 4-5 people. At about mile 5 the fast guys startd passing me on the their second loop. The 6th guy to pass me got pretty far ahead of me...but I almost caught him on a down hill that went into a flat. I'd say after about 4 miles I felt better.

Have a drinking plan if I had to lie my bike down on the ground....not race so close together. All in all, my bike just felt off today.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I timed my T2, not timing from Tri. Changed shoes, put on socks but feet were still wet from swim and bike shoes and was off quickly. I was 7th into T2 impressed my kids...but everyone else had done 2 loops. Wow...I had never transitioned with the fast buff guys. Lots to improve on...they run fast with their bikes. My husband commented I did T2 fast...and someone who finished the race about 50 yds behind me...lost time in both transitions....which is why I finished ahead of her.

Not much...get better at getting on and off bike quickier.
Run
  • 37m 56s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Since my last Tri on Sunday, I am sure it was short on the run. This was my fastest on a ture 5K. The two uphills were a bit hard...walked for maybe 20 seconds after each one....about the 60% down way nice long downhill I worked hard at leaning and gliding....was able to keep the faster pace through the end. I kept doing mental math to see if I oculd come in under 12 minute mile...and I did..and proud of that. I had a side stitch for the first time on and off the last half of the race. Brian, Shasha and Libby were waiting for me and ran in with me...very sweet. Libby squirted me with her new squirt gun from Subway...the whole way. I think with more recovery I could have done better.

I knew Chris from BT was racing so each guy in orange who passed me, I'd ask if they were Chris...finally he passed me on the uphill...nice to meet him...he was looking strong and running well for doing a 1/2 Iron last weekend or any other time.

Not much...drink a tad more....pick up pace sooner...but given last Tri on Sunday probably not possible this day.
Post race
Warm down:

Took off shoes, socks and went in the water..felt great...hoped it help recover my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limitors include...racing 4 days before, being 43 and overweight....stressed getting to race...time of day.

Event comments:

Great race for a practice Tri. Only costs $15 and well worth it. Eveyone was friendly including the fast guys which I haven't found before. Would recommend doing this race for good practice to everyone. I found Chris and Dave from BT and it was fun to meet them and visit for a short time. Hope to do it again. Chris zipped by me on the run...he was looking strong.

Last updated: 2005-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 400 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 101/104
Performance: Below average
Average HR 139, max 145 Time includes transition to bike...so maybe 2 minutes less I figure that would me 2.65 min per 100 Official time was 14:06 which includes transition.
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: Out to bouy and back...a little bit like two legs of a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:23:20 | 06 miles | 15.43 mile/hr
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Below average
Average HR 157 Max HR 181 My official time was 23:20 on the bike so if I had done both loops I would have been in about 1:39 which would NOT have been DFL...but other one loopers finished behind me. There was a long run to mount the bike. I was first in on the one loopers back to transition. Placed #1 on the bike...but all but four of five of us did 2 loops.
Wind: Little
Course: Around the lake...was supposed to go two loops, but in an effort to finish within 1:45, they cut people off from doing second loop. I was the first to get cut off.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:56 | 03.2 miles | 11m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 104/104
Performance: Good
Average HR 157 Max HR 179 Official time was 38:53 which includes T2. With my timing of :59 for T2, did do 37:56 or a few seconds less on the 5K which is a good time for me.
Course: Through some woods, around tennis course, out on the streets around the lake.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-01 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Lake Terramugus Series #2

2005-07-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #188173

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Lake Terramugus Series #2
WOW! Only 3 days between races??? Those are some good times on tired legs!

LOL! I started at the back of the swim as well and I say that person kicking like a frog. Pretty darn funny!

Hope to meet you in 2 weeks.

Rob
2005-07-01 1:29 PM

New user
Nice job Kathy, especially with littel rest between races. Why don't you take a long weekend and recover!

Hope to see you next time!
2005-07-01 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
You are such a HOSS FREAKING CHICK! You did very well considering you just came off another race a few days beforehand. Way to go Kathy! I'm always excited to read your race reports, especially the swimming part. Looks like you are definitely getting more comfortable in the water

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramugus Series #2 Rss Feed