Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 8/125
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Since the race didn't start until 9 and we camped at the lake, I didn't get up until 6:15. Got up had a bagel w/ PB and a banana then went and had coffee with some locals (Tonya) that we met the night before eating dinner. Then rode our bikes to transition to get set-up.
Event warmup:

after riding probably 2-3 miles from camp to coffee to transition, we were good for our bike warm up. 45 minutes prior to the start we went on a 6 min jog, 5 min strecth, and another 6 min jog at a faster pace and with a couple of build up's. Then got our wetsuits on and headed down to the water. About 10 min prior to the start I took a nice 100-150yd warm-up swim just to get used to the cold water. Then it was go time.
Swim
  • 23m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold and it took me probably 150-200yds to get my breathing down. By the time I got it under control I was at the back of the pack and had alot of time to make up. I just put my head down and before I knew it I was out by myself and out of the chaos that I started in. After the last turn(250m from the finish) I decided to really push and see how I felt. Now for the bouy that was not inline on the back stretch. We were told before the race to keep all the bouys on our left. So that's what I did, but some of the top swimmers by passed the small bouy and went straight. Shortening the course by 75-100 meters, then after the race we talked to the RD and they said it was a sighting bouy and you didn't have to go around it. Then why did you say to keep all the bouys on the left?
What would you do differently?:

Don't know what else I could do about getting my breathing under control faster. Still had a great swim, all in all. PR my swim by over 7 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Was a little whoozy coming out of the water. Had a hard time getting out of the wetsuit at my rack.

I need to practice getting out of my wetsuit faster. Usually at wetsuit races they have strippers, here they didn't.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Decided prior to the race that I was going to give as hard of an effort as I could for the 40k and just see what I had left in my legs forthe run. It worked out to my advantage, I felt great for the run, I think I should of pushed harder now. I ran my brother in laws HED90 rear and then my front. I had no computer and no watch, which was great because that was just one less thing to worry about. I knew I had a pretty good swim, but didn't know where I was placed until the turn around. I passed 1 on the first hill right out of transition, then Bobby on the 2nd hill. Then another on the flats before the hill before the turn around. At the turn around I counted 8 bikes in front of me and I knew that I could catch at least one more. I hooked it down the hill and passed him on the way up. Me and this guy (in my AG) went back and forth the rest of the way back, but I finally pulled a little gap on him on the last two hills. I then passed one more guy coming up the last hill. So I knew that I was about 5 or 6. Had a great ride and good confidence booster for me, because I am usually not a climber and I passed several people on the hills.

Push harder? I was close to max effort. I did have a problem getting into my shoes out of T1.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Had a good transition. Slipped the shoes on grabbed my hat, watch, and race belt and off I went.

Nothing. Went great.
Run
  • 41m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

After pushing it on the bike and swim, I was curious just how much that I was gonna have left in my legs for the run. Since I'm not a fast runner, I knew that there was going to be some guys that were gonna pass me. First it was the guy that I passed on the last climb, he was cruizing. Then shortly after that 2 others passed me, one of them being the guy I battled with on the bike. I had a great run for me. PR my 10k by 8 minutes and even my stand alone 10k time by 3 minutes. I saw a lot of people out on the run and they were cheering me on and I was doing the same.

Nothing had a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice easy 10 min jog and stretch. Then sat in the cold lake, almost like an ice bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim was the only part that started out bad due to the cold water, but I ended up exceeding my expectations.

Event comments:

RD needs to give better info on the swim and course and I heard a lot of complaints about drafting.

Last updated: 2010-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 13/125
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: Rectangular shaped except for 1 bouy that was close to the shore line and not inline with the 2 turn bouys.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:05:54 | 24.85 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 7/125
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with 5 large climbs and flat in between.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:43 | 06.21 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 20/125
Course: An out and back course that had some slight rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes