General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden Tri Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-20 12:34 PM

User image

lake stevens
Subject: Lake Padden Tri Course
With Lake Padden coming up next month I was thinking about making a trip up to bellingham to ride the course. Has anyone ridden the bike course outside of the day of the race that can offer any advice. I did the race last year and was surprised at how nice the area was for cycling/running. Is it a high traffic area on non race day or is it O.K. to ride it early one weekend. I would like to wait a little while for the lake to warm up a little more and get a nice swim in while I'm up. Any one want to join is welcome. I was thinking maybe early June.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by kpray 2010-05-20 12:37 PM

2010-05-20 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2871395

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Tri Course
I have ridden the course many, many times at different times of the day and days of the week. It is one of the few routes I ride regularly because I consider it in whole to much safer than other alternatives in the area.

While parts of the ride do get moderate traffic (between LK Padden - LK Samish and between Fairhaven - LK Padden), in those areas there is a nice wide shoulder. The section around Lake Samish has a 25mph speed limit and traffic is scarce.

I've been in the Lake several times now and will be swimming there a couple days per week from here on out. We are well past the "needles in your face" cold water. Unless you are really adverse to cold you should be OK. Let us know when you are planning on coming up.
2010-05-20 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
kpray - 2010-05-20 12:34 PM With Lake Padden coming up next month I was thinking about making a trip up to bellingham to ride the course. Has anyone ridden the bike course outside of the day of the race that can offer any advice. I did the race last year and was surprised at how nice the area was for cycling/running. Is it a high traffic area on non race day or is it O.K. to ride it early one weekend. I would like to wait a little while for the lake to warm up a little more and get a nice swim in while I'm up. Any one want to join is welcome. I was thinking maybe early June.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Popsracer pretty much summed it up.  The course is great to ride on at almost any point in time throughout the day.  The only thing I would add is that some of our local businesses are really supportive of cycling, so if you're going to get a meal while you're in town I'd suggest breakfast at Mount Bakery, burritos at Bandito's and post-ride beer at Boundary Bay. 
2010-05-27 8:50 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
The Lake Padden area is wonderful for cycling!  I live in the Lake Stevens area, too, so will have to make an effort to get up toward Bellingham sometime to ride.  I won't be doing the tri this year (last year was my 1st)--rather, I am thinking about doing the duathlon on July 24; it has a different bike course, so something a little new! Smile
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Padden Tri Course Rss Feed