General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern Dutchess Hospital Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Northern Dutchess Hospital Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
wilcox park, New York
United States
NYTC
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 20s
Overall Rank = 127/153
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 11/19
Pre-race routine:

Picked up my packet the day before, walked around a little, checked out the lake. Had driven the bike course earler in the week. Arrived around an hour and a half before race time. Set up transition area and picked up chip, got marked. Put on wetsuit around 30 minutes ahead. Used body glide around neck, arm pits, back of knees.
Event warmup:

Just walked around.
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt really great. The water wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. Wetsuit worked really well. Passed quite a few people and was pleased with the swim overall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Took a long time in the transition area. Took a while to put on cycling gloves, put hair up, helmet on, shoes on. Wetsuit came off fine - no issues.
What would you do differently?:

Organize a little better before.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 11.88 mile/hr
Comments:

THe hills were killers. GOt off and walked the bike a little up one of the hills becuase my legs weren't quite warmed up and my asthma kicked up a little. But, there was an amazing sense of satisfaction at finishing the bike knowing that everyone thought the hills were crazy too! I had a gel mid way and drank lots of water.

not walk - keep going even if slow. I'm ticked that I got off and walked, but there were others doing it, and for some reason my brain said it was OK for me to do it too! Not again!
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I thought my transition was pretty good. I didn't have to do too much but put my hat on. I did take a drink and a couple puffs on my inhaler.
Run
  • 35m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

walked a little up the hills (was walking faster than I was running!). I was happy with my time, though. I ran a 5k a few weeks ago and wasn't much faster.

not walk.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and stretched a little. Water and a powerbar, bagel, banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed to train more, and ride more outside to get more hill training. Inside on the trainer doesn't prepare you for major hills.

Event comments:

It was the inaugural race, and it seemed very organized. Lots of volunteers, not too many racers. Weather was great - was afraid that it was going to rain, but it held off. It was hard, but still really fun!

Last updated: 2009-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 450 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 26/153
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Enter water from sand, swim counterclockwise around 1 buoy, straight to second buoy, around buoy and back to the beach. Time includes run back to transition area. (actual swim time was about 5:45 on my watch). Large sprinklers in the middle of the lake make the swim somewhat interesting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:00:37 | 12 miles | 11.88 mile/hr
Overall: 127/153
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Loop course with MEGA hills! One of the major hills was almost a 1.5 mile climb. The downhills were glorious, but the uphills were a challenge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:39 | 03 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 110/153
Performance: Average
Course: a loop inside the park. Nice run on roads and dirt/gravel trails. One major hill (same one inside the park that we had to bike), but otherwise a really nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-23 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: Northern Dutchess Hospital Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern Dutchess Hospital Triathlon Rss Feed