The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 46m 9s
Overall Rank = 460/1058
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 73/196
Pre-race routine:

Tossed and turned throughout the night. Heard the rain. Figured I had no desire to get their too early and reset the alarm for 4:30. Got up, showered, had coffee, muscle milk, and a banana. Sipped on a Red Bull on the drive over. Got to the park about 6 and finally into transition by 6:15 or so. I always get so nervous before races.

Driving over I told my wife, if I didn't have to rack the bike Saturday, I may have bailed on this race due to the weather. We saw a lot of people leaving with their bikes when we got there. It was VERY tempting!
Event warmup:

Some stretching, but mostly talking with some friends I ran into. I figure the swim will be the warmup. Gu Roctane about 15 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 24m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim... I feel like I wasn't warmed up really until halfway through the swim and the last 500-750 meters went pretty smooth. Also, I think I aimed a bit too right at the start as the bouys go in and then back out again. I think if I stayed on course better I could have saved 30 seconds to a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Perhaps be in a bit better swim shape. Train more...always.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

I was truly winded coming out of the water. I'm just not used to going from water to land. I kind of just caught my breath for a second when I got to my bike. Also lost my gels out of my back pocket as I took off the wetsuit, found one, stuck it in my waist band and took off. I didn't realize I was this slow and I'm a bit disappointed with this, but I suppose it must not have been that bad as I was still 48th in the age group in T2.

Be faster
Bike
  • 1h 26m 20s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm ok with this ride. I improved from last year (at least I assume I did since T1 wasn't calculated with the ride). T1+bike I dropped 3:05 and I imagine much of that was on the bike. It is still by far the event I need to improve on the most. The uphills crushed me plain and simple. I just need to work on all aspects of my cycling. Hopefully I'll actually do it.

One issue (and I ran into the same issue last year) was a pickup pulled out in front of me and then immediately slows down for a slower rider (yeah slower than me!). This OF COURSE was on a downhill and I ended up hitting the brakes slowing me down and of course killing my momentum going up the next hill. Ugh!!! Probably cost me 30 seconds there. I should have just immediately passed him, but some faster riders made the move first coming from behind me before I made the move.

Train more period. Same story, different year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Pretty good T2. Easy in and out. In fact, so easy I assumed I was forgetting something and I wasn't. The only issue I ran into was I had put my glasses in my back pocket during the bike due to all the rain/dirt getting kicked into my face and as I headed out for the run, they popped out. I felt my empty pocket, turned around, grabbed them, and headed out.

Not much, just hope my glasses don't fall out next time! 26 seconds faster than last year!
Run
  • 50m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run. Dropped 2:30 off of last years run. Quads were tightening up a bit early, but that seemed to subside the second half of the run. Mile 3 and 4 were tough, but had my best miles at 5 and 6.

Felt good with my pace the last couple miles and was going to cruise into the finish without trying to pick it up too much more. Great crowd support as always towards the finish and as I'm coming around for the final .2 or so, someone yelled "Great job 454...two on your shoulder!" Not sure who said it, but this helped me kick things up a bit for the final couple hundred meters and no one caught me (still not sure there was actually anyone there). Hit the double biceps at the finish, got my medal, and sat down where I promptly tried to keep my body from puking.

Probably more bricks. I really only did one true brick in prep for this race. I'm happy with the run, but was hoping to be sub 50 minutes. I'll be there next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my wife right at the finish, walked up the hill (so mean) and got a bagel and some water. Waited for a friend to finish, told him congrats, ran into another friend who crushed me, caught up a bit, and then headed to transition to grab my gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As usual, just a lack of training. And when I do train I need to be more structured. Especially on the bike. When (IF) I ride, I just go out and ride.

Event comments:

Satisfied with my race. Dropped over five minutes from last years time. Looking to go sub 2:40 next year. This is always a great race and I'm glad I didn't decide to bail at the last minute!

Last updated: 2010-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/196
Overall: 214/1058
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Out, up, and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:20 | 25.48 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 126/196
Overall: 755/1058
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out, around, and back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/196
Overall: 445/1058
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2010-06-22 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2879050

User image

Regular
King George, VA
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon

Congrats on a great race!

I procrastinated and missed the registration cutoff for this year's race...  I'm hoping to race next year though!  2:45 is my goal (history - 2:50, 2:54, 3:11, 2:55).

I noticed that rack position really impacts transition times at this race, but at least you are in the same rack area as your age group competition.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed