The City of Encinitas
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 56m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Get up, shower, banana, coffee & oatmeal, load up. Ate Clif Bar w/coffee on way to race start. Meet up, pump up, porta-potty and roll out (just after first group at 6:00 A.M.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 5h 56m 53s
  • 104 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

This was just a century ride - and not a race. We were standing around near the start, chatting when we realized the first group had rolled out, so we headed on out (you can start anywhere between 6:00 and 8:00 A.M.).

About 5 minutes into the ride we caught up with the main pack and I tried to switch gears to spin out in the front chainring and I dropped my chain. I was worried about it happening again, so I just kept it in the big ring for the whole ride.

We regrouped at the SAG stations and I was surprised to see the
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start out with the main pack and not stop until the turnaround. This was my first time riding the course, so I just wanted to ride smart and finish. I would be curious to see how fast we could get through the ride. It was surprising to see the first riders heading back the other way when I was climbing up to Ramona. In addition to the 6 hours of ride time, I had about an hour of stoppage time, rolling in just over 7 hours after we started.
Post race
Warm down:

We were going to go do some track repeats afterwards, but there was no track at the college. Instead of just running around, we opted for pizza to finish off our brick.

Event comments:

Fun event. Well marked route. Ample aid / sag support. Challenging course with 6,700+ ft. of climbing on the Dos Picos (Purple) course.

Last updated: 2010-02-16 12:00 AM
Biking
05:56:53 | 104 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Ave HR: 136, Max HR 167
Wind: Some
Course: A pretty cool course, with three different distances. The "Dos Picos" (103+ mile) ride does the Del Dios loop and then heads out to Poway and up Scripps Grade (Purple Monster) to the 67 and turns around in Ramona. The highest point is just about 1,800 ft. above the start. There's about 6,700 total ft. of climbing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right