United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 17s
Overall Rank = 8/208
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

First tri of the year for me, so I was pretty excited to get back out there. I drove down to Ames Saturday afternoon to do packet pickup. Had some pretty awesome pizza at Great Plains pizza on the recommendation of some people from work. I drank a few caffeinated drinks which I definitely should not have done. I got to bed around 10:30, but absolutely could not get to sleep. I almost never drink caffeine so I have to think that was it. I probably slept a total of 2 hours that night. Got up at 5:30 and took a quick shower to get rid of the tired feeling, made a pb and honey bagel for breakfast at the hotel, and hit the road for the race site. It was another 35-40 min drive there, made longer by the extra long train I got stuck behind on the way into the park. Figures...I finally got to the race site around 7:00. Got the race wheels pumped up and started the long walk with my gear to the transition area and got things set up pretty quickly. So then I turn my Garmin 305 on to link up to the satellite, and it immediately takes a dump on me. I realized later that the battery was just dead, I charged it the night before, but something must have bumped the power button in my bag and turned it on. So I would be flying completely blind in this race, because I realized my bike speed sensor wasn't working with the race wheels on. It was very overcast in the morning so I didn't put sunscreen on. Dumb. Got in line for the bus at 7:30 and headed over to the start. There were a lot of people still waiting at 7:45 so I figured things wouldn't be starting on time.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam 50 yards or so out from shore and back several times. I'm glad I did too, because the water felt very cold, so it was good to get adjusted.
Swim
  • 08m 38s
  • 547 yards
  • 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

So my pool swimming has been going pretty well, so I was interested to see what I could do here. Sure enough the sun came out as soon as I got to the beach, so I kmew I was going to burn pretty good. I really struggled to breathe in the cold water, but settled in after a few hundred yards. The start was a little rough, I got beat up pretty good in this one. The last 200 or so I was boxed in around some slower swimmers, so that slowed me down a little. I think the timing mat was up by transition, so there was a good 30 sec. run included in the swim time. Pretty good effort all things considered.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, navigate traffic a little better I suppose. Go harder at the start to get out in front of the fray.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Nothing too eventful here, the wetsuit did get stuck on the timing chip though, and that cost me a few seconds. My first toss of the wetsuit onto the bike rack missed, so I had to pick it up and try again. Again a few seconds loss. I really need to improve here...

See above wetsuit issues.
Bike
  • 42m 2s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.41 mile/hr
Comments:

So I was flying blind here, no heart rate or pace information to go off of. Luckily it was a sprint, so I figured go as hard as possible sounded good. I could tell we were flying on the out portion of the bike course, so I assumed there was a pretty strong tailwind. So I thought, crap this is going to suck on the way back. I kept hammering and passed a good 10-15 people. Hit the turnaround and holy crap the wind! I would guess my pace was 15 mph or so with a pretty high effort level. I just toughened up and did the best I could. It was tough, but I passed a few more on the way back to transition. I didn't hydrate enough on the bike, it was getting pretty warm and humid and I was really sweating quite a bit. That's something I really struggle with, my body just does not like the heat. I did the flying dismount thing for the first time in a race. It went flawlessly, I pretty much practice at the end of every ride so that's been well worth it.

Nothing, this was pretty much all I could do at my current fitness level. I need to improve on hills at the moment.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

This was a pretty quick T2 for me, nothing eventful, just got it done and got out quickly.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Exiting transition there was a short stretch of grass trail winding through the woods, mostly uphill to the exit on the road. Again, no heartrate data so it was balls out all the way. Got to the road and ran a flat stretch for a while, then down a steep long hill that I knew would suck on the way back. Grabbed a water at the aide station drank a little and dumped the rest on my head to cool off. I was pretty much overheating at that point. Up another hill and down to the turnaround, and started on the way back. I was happy to see the nearest competitor was about 30 sec. back, so I figured I would be ok to the finish. I kept chugging along, grinded up the big hill which did in fact suck. Back on the trail and downhill to the finish line.

Try to stay cool better, not sure how to go about that. Run hills more often. Get a haircut so my head wasn't so freaking hot.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, slammed a few waters and gatorade, had some bagel pieces and candy bars. Waited a good hour or so for transition to open to pack up, then another half hour to get my age group hardware.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity, wind, genetics, laziness, work schedule...

Event comments:

This was a well run race, the logistics of the swim make it difficult to get the swim start on time. Maybe changing transition close time to 7:30 or having 2 buses would help. It was a good time though!

Last updated: 2010-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:38 | 547 yards | 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/208
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex VX2 full
Course: Straight shot point-to-point from beach, with short right turn to boat dock. Pretty simple.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:02 | 15 miles | 21.41 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Some winding roads to exit the park, then straight out and back. Whoever described this course as flat must have been joking. No huge hills but consistent rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Course: Out and back course with about half a mile at the start on grass trails. Again, wouldn't call this flat, there were some decent hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2010-05-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2879378

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Nice job out there with the heat and the wind.  I was that guy 30s back who couldn't close the gap LOL!

We technically met at the awards ceremony when we shook hands.  I'll make sure to keep an eye out for you at the little pig in 2 weeks for a more proper introduction.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed