Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-27 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2885123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Subject: RE: Washington DC Vacation Help
I don't think there are many cheap hotels near metro stops. I'm always a fan of Embassy Suites. I think it is well worth the $$$. There is one right across the street from the King St. Metro in Alexandria.

Places to go
Air and Space near Dulles
Changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetary
Pentagon tour
Washington Monument
WWII
Lincoln Memorial

Places to bike
Mt Vernon (mount vernon trail)
National Harbot (over the woodrow wilson bridge)
Old dominion railroad trail toward leesburg

They also have dinner riverboat tours and a river tour on a WWII style DUCK http://www.dcducks.com/

2010-05-28 12:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Not going to try to help with the hotel, I live here, so don't have any experience.

For rides though, if you are in Virginia check out the Mount Vernon Trail which is awesome experience I take for granted because I do it all the time... but it starts at George Washingtons Estate which offers great tours and dinner as well, definitely worth a visit.

If you are in Bethesda, check out the Capital Creeper Trail which will take you in to Georgetown. It's pretty busy on weekends, but still an enjoyable ride.

As for Metro accesible sites

Start at the Rosslyn Metro off the orange and blue line.
Walk up to the Iwo Jima Memorial, and check out the Bells from Amsterdam while you are there.

The Zoo as it's own metro stop as well, and Dinner in that area of town is awesome as well, though I would recommend the short walk back down Conneticut to 18th street, which is in Adams Morgan, a great strip of street to spend a night on.

Georgetown has great eats as well, with Old Glory probably at the top of my list, though there is also an awesome Italian place up Wisconsin that I can't remember the name of. 

About Georgetown, it's about a mile walk or a $6 cab ride from the Foggy Bottom metro. If you go there, be sure to look around for a familiar scene from an 80's(?) horror movie.  

To summarize (grouped by days):
Georgetown/Rosslyn/Iwo Jima
Monuments/Museums
Adams Morgan/Zoo
Ride from Mount Vernon/Mount Vernon Tour

2010-05-28 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
For hotel try priceline.com. Wife and I stayed within walking distance of Union Station for about $50/night

Purchase all day subway pass or a multi-day if possible.

Don't miss out on Ben's Chili Bowl. It is worth it.
2010-05-28 6:55 PM

My husband I went to DC last fall for a week and stayed at the last stop on the red line. Our hotel room was nice (the building was being remodeled so we got a killer deal) and the ride in wasn't a big deal. The last day of our trip we ran a 5k that went past the Capitol and had to park in town as we left right after. After our adventure that morning, I'll never drive into DC every again! Parking was hard and traffic was fairly heavy for a Saturday morning.

Don't miss the Library of Congress and take the tour. The building is amazing and the reading room is absolutely beautiful.

Our days generally went like this: Monument or outside feature in the morning followed by 1/2 a day at a Smithsonian Museum. We knew we couldn't see all of the museums, so we did spend a larger part of our day at the American History Museum as well as the Air and Space Museum.

I strongly suggested a night tour of the monuments. We loved seeing everything lit up. In fact, a sfew of the monuments I find are best viewed in the dark such as the Korean War Memorial and the Kennedy Memorial. The tour also made it so we didn't spend half a day trying to get out to the Kennedy Memorial or the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. I do agree with whoever said make it to the Pentagon. The 9/11 memorial there is the most moving and most symbolic memorial I have ever seen.

As for food, a trip to Ben's Chilli Bowl is worth it.

2010-05-28 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2889563

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
MNHockey - 2010-05-28 7:55 PM

My husband I went to DC last fall for a week and stayed at the last stop on the red line. Our hotel room was nice (the building was being remodeled so we got a killer deal) and the ride in wasn't a big deal. The last day of our trip we ran a 5k that went past the Capitol and had to park in town as we left right after. After our adventure that morning, I'll never drive into DC every again! Parking was hard and traffic was fairly heavy for a Saturday morning.

Don't miss the Library of Congress and take the tour. The building is amazing and the reading room is absolutely beautiful.

Our days generally went like this: Monument or outside feature in the morning followed by 1/2 a day at a Smithsonian Museum. We knew we couldn't see all of the museums, so we did spend a larger part of our day at the American History Museum as well as the Air and Space Museum.

I strongly suggested a night tour of the monuments. We loved seeing everything lit up. In fact, a sfew of the monuments I find are best viewed in the dark such as the Korean War Memorial and the Kennedy Memorial. The tour also made it so we didn't spend half a day trying to get out to the Kennedy Memorial or the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. I do agree with whoever said make it to the Pentagon. The 9/11 memorial there is the most moving and most symbolic memorial I have ever seen.

As for food, a trip to Ben's Chilli Bowl is worth it.

x2 on the Korean War Memorial at night, very cool experience.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Washington DC Vacation Help Rss Feed  

of 2