General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal River, Florida
United States
Crystal River Triathlon Series
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 29s
Overall Rank = 82/280
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45, 15 minutes before the alarm clock. Had time to make a nice ham & cheese omelet, finish pre-hydrating before I left home. Sent Renee an inspire for her OWS race today and headed out the door. Got to the race site at 5:50, and none too soon. Re-evaluate early pre-hydration before a long drive.
Event warmup:

Humidity 85%. Winds ESE @ 6mph. Swim warm up out to the first set of buoys, across to the finish. Surprisingly strong current pushing everything to the north. Practiced different sighting points (which were obliterated by the rising sun during the actual race) to find the course that would take me straight in to the finish.
Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the first time I've ever started in the front row. I positioned myself to the left of center, thinking I would head to the outside to find some clear water. I should have started farther to the left. Once we hit the water everyone started to compress toward the center, resulting in an incredible amount of contact. I'm sure it didn't help that they had all the men go in one wave, unlike last year when M40+ were in their own wave. After 125 yards, those who went out way too fast started to struggle and I was suddenly going much faster than most of the people around me. Alas, this was only 25 yards from the first turn buoy, and where the current really started to get strong. I knew where I was and where I wanted to go, but couldn't get through the mass of bodies that was drifting too far right with the current. I wound up being forced into the buoy (and hit the chain with my arm), but after that corner I was able to get into clear water and settle down in a steady stroke. It seems I was one of the few people who actually navigated well, as I made a line to the next buoys like I was swimming it alone, but everyone else drifted wide with the current. Alas, that meant nobody to draft, but at least I got to swim the shortest distance.
What would you do differently?:

Start farther to the outside since I knew the current would push everyone into a clusterf**k at the first turn buoy. Otherwise, good swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Had goggles, cap and earplugs off before I reached the swim exit balloon. Unremarkable T1 otherwise. They moved the bike mount line about 25 yards away from the transition exit vs. last year. Almost everyone, myself included, was stopping, having the volunteers yell (You're not at the mount line yet!) and having jump back off and push the bike a bit more. They had some very good pre-race announcements, like the swim current, open course issues, etc. The moving of the bike mount line seems like something that should have been included there.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 11s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.34 mile/hr
Comments:

All in all this was a pretty unremarkable bike. I stuck to my hydration plan, drinking a little bit every 2.5 miles (total was about 20 oz.). Before I knew it I was at mile 6.5 and the leader went by in the other direction, with a HUGE gap over second place. Passed a few people, particularly those who obviously went out too fast. Got passed by a few, but not so many as I expected. I guess with the 40+ men in the same wave, there are fewer of the really fast guys coming from behind.

The BT standard options for this course are pretty useless, as there are no turns, no corners, no hills. The only times I shifted were at the turnaround (for acceleration power) and I dropped down one gear briefly going over the bridge (though I didn't need to, just looking to keep my legs fresh). The wind was definitely there, but less than 10mph even in the open, so I really didn't notice it for much of the course. I suspect the tailwind/headwind difference in time was less than two minutes, but I didn't hit the lap button at the turnaround so I have no splits.

Nothing, although I may have been able to push a little bit harder given how good my legs wound up feeling for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

This went very well. A guy who powered by me in the last 25 yards before the dismount line did his flying dismount, but then walked so slowly into transition that I ran past him (after stopping, unclipping, then continuing) before we even got to the first set of racks. Everything went smoothly except for getting my running shoes on. Turns out that my new favorite running socks hold a lot more water than my old ones. That extra wetness made getting into my relatively tight speedlaces much harder than I anticipated, and astronomically harder than getting into them with dry socks.

Go back to my old socks.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

What's this? Why don't my legs hurt? Either I paced the bike perfectly, or not hard enough, because I hit my regular running stride before I even made it out of transition. I still felt pretty slow, being toward the front of the field coming off the bike, but I actually passed TWO people. I haven't passed somebody on the run in since two races ago. Took one sip of water at mile 1 and dumped the rest on my head. At mile two I drank a full cup of water, but never broke stride. The wind had shifted a little bit more to the south, so there it wasn't like running in treadmill-still air like I had feared on the way out. I kept my pace steady and didn't look at my watch until the ½-mile to go marker. It said 21:xx, and I had to look again in disbelief. I pushed as hard as I could to the finish and wound up with with a run split pace faster than my 5k PR. Woot! I crossed the finish line 4½ minutes ahead of my goal time, and was thinking I might have a shot at hardware. Alas, it was not to be as lots of fast guys showed up today. Looks like I'll need to find 5 more minutes from somewhere.

Nothing. Best tri run yet.
Post race
Warm down:

Dropped my chip, got some water, got my breathing and heart rate back under control (took a few minutes). Scott was done with his portion of the relay, so we went back to watch for Cville, Marc, Steph and Joanne to come in.

Cville's dad lost my car keys. There was a bit of worry for the next hour, although I had resigned to worry about it after everyone had finished racing. Turns out when he took Cville's keys out of his pocket, mine fell out and under the truck parked next to them. The driver found the keys, and after trying to find Cville (remembered him from parking in the AM), turned them into the announcer. Hooray for not having to catch a ride all the way home and then back up to Crystal River.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing specific, outside of the swim traffic.

Event comments:

I said not on time, but the start delay was less than ten minutes. Post-race activities are nothing special, but I'm not really looking for much after the race, so I'm glad they don't waste money hiring a band or some other waste of time. The sandwiches to go with the fruit/cookies/etc. were a nice touch, especially since I saw at least four different varieties.

Results/Placing includes relay teams.
This is definitely one of my favorite races. It's a wonderful simple course, has a much more laid back feel than any other race I've done, and everything happens smoothly and efficiently. AND it's by far the cheapest sprint race series around. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Final thought: Had I in the clydesdale division, I would have gotten second place. On the other hand, that would have bumped Cville out of fifth. My goal is to get AG hardware before the series is over this year.

Last updated: 2010-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 440 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 105/280
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Trapezoid starting at the south end of the cove and finishing at the north end. Distance seemed pretty close to accurate this time. Stated water temp of 81 was dubious, felt more like 85 to me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:11 | 15 miles | 21.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 55/280
Wind: Little
Course: 7.5 miles east along Ft. Island Rd., then right back the same way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:01 | 03 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 129/280
Course: Out and back along the same road as the bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-29 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed