Running Room
12C / 54F
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 49s
Overall Rank = 63/293
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Took a shower, ate a nutrient bar and took a couple Ibuprofen then headed for the race. Wore a sleeveless technical shirt and shorts, no hat, heart rate monitor or iPod.
Event warmup:

Some stretching, not much else.
Run
  • 34m 49s
  • 8 kms
  • 04m 21s  min/km
Comments:

Race started about 10 minutes late as organizers took some time getting late registrants geared up with timing chips.
Felt good at start line and kept a good pace for the first 500 meters. Made out ok up the first uphill but noticed early that my breathing rhythm was pretty high. Took longer than usual to settle down but automatically started increasing my pace slightly. Distance markers seemed to pass by slowly though about 5k and had to slow down a bit to get my breathing under control. Decided to take it easy on the downhills during the second lap trying to conserve energy for the remaining hills. This tactic seemed to work as my breathing settled and I was able to pick up the pace once again. Last couple of kilometers felt pretty good but I knew I wasn't going to have a blazing time. Tried to enjoy the views and carried on past the 9km mark and increased speed through the final 300 meters to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Walk or bike the course beforehand to familiarize myself with the course layout.
Post race
Warm down:

None. A quick trip to the washroom and then to the goodie tables.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unfamiliarity with the course, didn't realize it was a two loops. The hills sort of caught me by surprise as well, so more hill training. This was my first run since the Sun Run 3 weeks prior so I wasn't really expecting a new PB.

Event comments:

This was my first stab at an 8k distance so I wasn't sure of the pacing for this race. I'll have a better idea how to run it next year if I do it. Got yet another blister on my right foot which was to be expected since I haven't done any running at recently. Time to put on the Asics more regularly and pound the pavement for a few training runs if I'm going to improve.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:49 | 08 kms | 04m 21s  min/km
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 63/293
Performance: Average
Course: An 8k, two lap course, along residential streets of Kerrisdale in Vancouver. 2 or 3 slight hills along length of course with one very near the start and a nice downhill section near the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-30 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: 2010 Shaughnessy 8k

2010-06-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2891346

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Subject: RE: 2010 Shaughnessy 8k
Nice run as usual you are a rocket with shoes.  Just curious I see you signed up for two races on the 27th the Scotia half and the Langley Sprint.  Which race are you doing?
2010-06-05 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2902572

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: RE: 2010 Shaughnessy 8k
Neilman - 2010-06-05 11:50 AM

Nice run as usual you are a rocket with shoes.  Just curious I see you signed up for two races on the 27th the Scotia half and the Langley Sprint.  Which race are you doing?

Not sure just yet, that's why I put them both up. I need to do another half marathon but I have free admission to the Langley race, so still mulling it. Might do Langley and then sign up for the Royal Victoria Half.
Are you entering any of those?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Shaughnessy 8k Rss Feed