75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 49s
Overall Rank = 107/149
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

23/37 all women
The usual routine. Breakfast- coffee, bagel with PB and banana. Water on the way down to AL. Had the car packed the night before to make it quicker in the morning.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a spin and ran a tiny bit. My back eeized up before I ran, so I stopped and stretched some. No pain during the race, so I guess that worked. After struggling into the wetsuit, I was still disappointed there was no way to warm up for the swim. That's a big problem with this race.
Swim
  • 09m 9s
  • 402 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

16/37 women
Craptastic swim. Seeding in a deep water start is tricky and up to luck. I wasn't lucky. Ended up in the middle of the pack and had to swim around/over a lot of people. Then got my goggles knocked sideways and that made me very annoyed. I decided it was too short a swim to stop and fix them, so I just swam as best I could with limited vision. Still never found a groove out there.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the proper place. Maybe try to warm up a bit more, but it's kind of hard there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Duh. Now what? As I stood there looking at the bike, I wondered what I was supposed to do next. Gotta work on that. My suit was stuck, I couldn't get my feet in my shoes and my helmet wasn't cooperating.

I really need to practice transitions. A lot.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 20.9 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

22/37 women (I dropped a few places here. That shouldn't happen, esp after such a rotten swim)
We started out with a sweet tailwind, but I knew it would end quickly. I was doing well and trying to find my pace. Wendy passed me around mile 10 near Clark's Grove. As she went by, she suggested we bag the race and go for a beer. Best idea I'd heard all day. But we kept pedalling. I kept her in range for a couple miles, but she pulled away from me in the headwind section. I played leapfrog with another girl the rest of the way in. Neither one of us had the legs to pull away.

Not much. I realized later that I didn't drink enough. It's hard to drink when you're getting blown all over the road.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Decent T2. Nearly got into a pileup at the entrance to transition. My dismount was a bit quick and I had to weave around people who had stopped.

Not much. I haven't switched to Yankz for the running shoes because I think they cause some foot issues for me. Guess I could practice tying shoes quicker.
Run
  • 36m 9s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

29/37 women
Out of T2, I felt OK, but kind of tired. I walked the hill in the parking lot just out of transition. After that no more walking. I passed a couple people, but of course, more passed me. There were people cheering at two houses and that was kind of cool. Around mile 2 or so, I came up on a girl that was clearly struggling. As I pulled up beside her, I told her we were only about 15 min out. She seemed so thankful for that info. She ran a bit and got in front of me, but I passed her again. She was still happy for the encouragement. That made a tough run a little better for me.

Not much. It was slow, but better than I've been training. Need some speed work on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line, chip off and got some water. I think I needed much more water since it was getting pretty hot out there. We're just not used to 80* temps at AL. Bonus- Nothing really hurt. I was tired, but not in pain. That's excellent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, wind, not enough water. Those are the big things.

Event comments:

For a small local race, AL is a nice event. They are on the ball with course marking, volunteers, water stops, and all the other logistics. It's not a big fancy event, but a well run local race. That's why we keep coming back.

Last updated: 2010-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:09 | 402 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 87/149
Performance:
Suit: Promotion full sleeve
Course: Kind of an odd rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:55 | 20.9 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 102/149
Performance: Below average
Avg HR- 154 Max HR- 165
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Vague rectangle out in the country. The kind of course I ride every time I get on a bike. Of course, the wind came out to play, which makes this course a bit tougher.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:09 | 03.5 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 124/149
Performance: Average
Avg HR- 165 MAx HR- 179
Course: Oh goody. The run. It's a flat run along the lake shore. Sadly, the wind that pounded us on the bike was no help on the run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes