General Discussion Race Reports! » LJCC Memorial Weekend Triathlon & Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LJCC Memorial Weekend Triathlon & Off-Road Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Birmingham, Alabama
United States
Team Magic, Inc
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Planned to be there by 6:45, set my alarm for 5:15 -snoozed for 30 minutes. Hotel was 15 minutes away from race. Ate 2 Krispy Kreme donuts & drank a Diet Mt. Dew. Loaded my bike & headed over.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than stick my toes in the pool to see how cold the water was.
Swim
  • 06m 3s
  • 219 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The scariest word I've ever heard while touching the wall....GO! As a new swimmer (like 2 months), I was very anxious about the swim. I knew I could swim the distance but was concerned about being slow, what it would be like, etc...I started too fast -guess I have to learn to pace myself in the water the same as I did on the bike & running. Hung on the wall once to catch my breath (which I never have to do), but didn't want to drown in the deep end bc I was exhausted (Death by Ego). But made it through & despite that (I reallly didn't want to have to stop), I was very pleased with my swim. HUGE accomplishment for me to be in an event that required a competitive swim! Just 3 weeks ago, I had a fear of the deep end!
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. I trained my heart out for the swim. I now know to pace myself & continually work on my stroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

I have a lot of duathlons under my belt so I was quite familiar with the transition process. I'm also very organized & methodical so I had a plan of 1, 2, 3 when I got there & it worked. My time was longer than T2 just bc I had a longer trek from the pool.

Nothing -except run a little more between the pool & T1. I was a little discombobulated coming out of the water so I walked to get my bearings & not slip & fall.
Bike
  • 28m 29s
  • 8 miles
  • 16.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was good....I felt slow on the swim, of course, so I took off when I got on the bike. Plus I knew it was a simple out & back, mildly rolling (I like hills) so I really tried to give it my all. Passed a lot of people, ate Sport Beans on the bike & just generally felt good.

I can always stand to ride more. I only get in a ride about once a week, due to time constraints & the fact I like to run & swim more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Again, lots of experience with this from dus, so no surprises here.

Nothing
Run
  • 17m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Interesting run....down hill (slightly) to start, rounded a corner, up a hill, onto a fairly smooth trail (I normally abhor trails!!)& then back. The trail was fine & the rest was on a sidewalk. Up a little grassy hill to the finish. I was tired by the time the run rolled around, but I was still pleased with my performance.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water from the water bottle the handed out at the finish & picked up my stuff. Had a slice of cheese pizza, an iced oatmeal cookie & a diet coke. Waited for the results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only knowing how to swim for 2 months! =)

Event comments:

This was my first tri & I was so excited. I really felt like I gave it my all. I really trained hard, especially with the swimming. I'm a runner first & foremost & I enjoy cycling but I started at the very beginning with swimming. My goal was not to be a wall-hanger, but considering I didn't know what to expect (& went out too fast), I'm cutting myself some slack on having to hang once. I never expected a 3rd in AG finish! The race company did a fabulous job; great pre-race meeting with a ton on instructions. Very well-organized! Great experience!!! You never forget your first! =)

Last updated: 2010-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:03 | 219 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Different.....We swam 4 lengths of 25 meters, went under the rope & basically swam in a circle in the shallow end around a buoy then back to the stairs. Neat in that you got the feel of an open water swim. Good for me since I'm a new swimmer, this was my first tri & I need all the water experience I could get!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:29 | 08 miles | 16.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Wind: Little
Course: Out & back, slightly rolling
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:04 | 02 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Course: down & up a slight hill & a trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 7:46 AM

Subject: LJCC Memorial Weekend Triathlon & Off-Road Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LJCC Memorial Weekend Triathlon & Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed