United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 55m 17s
Overall Rank = 602/2000
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 72/200
Pre-race routine:

Standing around waiting for the group so we can load onto the bus. Riding the bus up and having a good conversation with my friends, and then unloading and running into some other friends. Standing in front of the bonfires to stay warm.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and head clearing, in an attempt to get into the mindset that I'm running 26.2 today.
Run
  • 3h 55m 17s
  • 26.45 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

In the first part of the run, I deliberately held back so that I wouldn't make the same mistakes I've made in the past with runs, particularly the marathon. I was shooting for 1:50-1:55, and so I tried to hold between 8:00-8:15/mi pace for the first half. I took three GU gels with me and ate one at mile 8, and hit the half mark at 1:50. I was still feeling great at that point. Took another GU at 16, and kept running. By the time I got to the downhill, my legs didn't want to take advantage of it like I'd hoped, and I was only holding 8:00-8:30/mi pace. By mile 22, my legs were starting to cramp, but I kept running. I was surprised to find that I was still feeling pretty good despite the cramping- I didn't tank at 17-18 like I have in the past. I took my final GU at mi 23, and by mile 25, each step hurt like crazy. I just kept on pursuing the finish line, looking forward to being able to stop. Saw my family just after 26 mi., and tried to sprint it in. It was at that moment that I really felt the cramping-- I just about fell over as I tried to sprint it in since my muscles were so tight. I could feel my calves and hamstrings contracting to the point where they felt like they were going to tear. It was excruciating. To make matters worse, this course is about 1/4 mi. longer than 26.2. But needless to say, I still finished under 4 hours and I felt good about that.
What would you do differently?:

Take more GUs, and take them sooner and more often. I'd focus on pacing better and maybe try a different hydration strategy. More training outdoors on hills would make a difference too. I did most of my training on the treadmill for this marathon...
Post race
Warm down:

Lay on the grass and eat bananas and smoothies. Stretching, lots of stretching to get the tightness out. I can barely walk after the marathon. Lots of walking around to get loose.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping. Not sure why I cramped so bad. Maybe I should have taken the enduralytes-- I had planned on it, but forgot. I took plenty of Powerade/Water, so I'm not sure why I cramped so bad. Mentally I did well, and physically, I gave a great effort.

Event comments:

This race is one of the best races I've ever done. It is very well organized, has an excess of aid stations, and the course is great, although it is a bit deceiving. I thought it was more downhill at the start than it proved to be. But with a moderate training schedule, anyone should be able to put up a PR time here. I had a great time!

Last updated: 2010-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:55:17 | 26.45 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/200
Overall: 200/2000
Performance: Good
Course: Slight downhill for the first 5 miles, followed by about 2 mi. of flat and then about 4 slight rolling. Then comes the first real hill at mi 14, and it's about 1 mile long. After the peak, it's a steeper downhill until mile 20, where it really drops off for about 2 mi. Then it flattens out and by mile 25, it's a straight shot to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes