Texas 4000 for Cancer
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30 and had a PB&J and then headed off for the half hour drive to the race start in Cedar Park
Event warmup:

Didn't warm up at all, just got on the bike and headed off when the event started.
Bike
  • 3h 45m 24s
  • 71.8 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was a ton of fun. For the first 15 miles or so I was working my way up through the group since I started in almost the very back of the ride. I ended up hooking on to a group of three guys that were pushing it pretty hard and they ended up dropping me after about 15 miles or so. I rode by myself for a little bit until I met up with a guy a little bit after mile 26. We ended up doing the rest of the ride together taking turns pulling and kept a pretty high pace. Cramped up real bad about 2 miles from the finish and had to spin in the small chain ring for the last bit of the ride so I don't know if I wasn't getting enough fluid, or replacing some type of mineral I was losing from sweat.
What would you do differently?:

Salt tabs? or something else to prevent the cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit and drank a lot of water and some Pure recovery drink. Also had some beer and BBQ

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramped up towards the very end of the ride.

Event comments:

This was a great charity ride. I ended up raising a dollar for every mile that I rode and had a great time out on the course. My pace was well above what I'm shooting for for IMFL and I felt pretty good afterward minus the cramping that I had on the bike towards the end, however I won't get the benefit of drafting in Florida. I hope the team enjoys their 4500 mile journey and I hope I get the chance to do this ride again next year. It would be nice to be on a road bike next time, sitting up in the horns on the tri bike can get a bit uncomfortable when you're drafting.

Last updated: 2010-05-21 12:00 AM
Biking
03:45:24 | 71.8 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: From Cedar Park Texas to Lampasas
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85.
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right