United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 57m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up Sally around 8am (9am start), registered and hung out at the registration site before the start of the kid's fun run (which takes place right before the start of the 10K). It started to rain lightly, so everyone was standing under awnings in town. Each participant got a beer mug that said "Finisher" and the race name/date. Sally said, "That's optimistic!"

Because we live in a small town, you see tons of people that you know...that was nice!
Event warmup:

Walk up the hill to the start of the race, cheer on the kid's fun run finishers.

Race was late starting (the folks that organize this race series ALWAYS run late), so I was good and worked up by the time we got started.
Run
  • 57m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to finish it in less than an hour. I have run the route many times (Sally and I run it at least once a week) and never been able to come in quicker than 1:03. It was drizzling slightly at the start of the run - good news for me...it would keep me cool. As I passed the one mile marker, I checked my pace: 9:43...that's decent enough to make my goal...keep running. I told my self to really push it on the flats and downhills. As I passed the 2 mile marker, I noticed my pace had gone down - about 9:05...woot! Then the rain started getting heavier.

I didn't wear a hat or visor for this race because of the rain (no sun to protect me from)...but I hadn't realized how much sweat the hat can soak up. As the rain started coming down, sweat started to drip into my eyes...ouch! Made it to mile 3 at ~28 min...still on pace to finish in my goal time - but at least 1 1/2 miles of the last half are uphill...just kept running!

At this point the "pack" had really thinned out - everyone who was going to be in front of me was already there...and everyone who was going to be behind me wasn't coming any faster. (At one point, the girl's pediatrician was playing tag with me on the hills. He was pushing a stroller with his two sons in it...there was NO way I was going to finish after him). I kept checking my time with each mile marker...still on target. I hit the 5 mile marker at ~47 minutes, after some calculation I realized I had about 13 minutes to make it to the finish line, which I knew I could do. Yeah!

As I hit the 6 mile marker, I was at 55 minutes and change. 4 minutes to make it .1 miles. At this point the rain had eased up, but the roads were pretty slick. The last .1 miles is down hill - but I was a bit nervous about slipping - so I pranced a little down the steepest part of the hill. At the bottom (about 100 y from the finish line), I saw Matt and the girls waiting for me in the rain. That gave me the boost I needed to push it across the line.

Checked my watch as I crossed: 57:23. So glad I set the goal, so so glad I made it. And now - I think I need to be more aggressive in my run training. I had enough in me to finish this, I can start to push harder.
What would you do differently?:

Rethink wearing a white shirt on a rainy day ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a watermelon slice and a bottled water and waited for my friends to cross the line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, but not too bad.

Last updated: 2009-12-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:23 | 06.21 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Down Bayview, past Aldemere Farm (where the belted Galloway cows live), down past the golf course on Calderwood, past the Children's Chapel, back up Calderwood, past the cows again and home on Bayview.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: Peter Ott's 10K

2010-06-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2903419

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: Peter Ott's 10K
Awesome race Jennifer!! Way to go!!  You must be excited to beat your goal and set a fairly significant improvement over your old PR.
2010-06-07 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great race and in the rain yet to boot!  Congratulations on smashing through your goal with ease!  You definitely earned this one!!
2010-06-07 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Jennifer, you must be thrilled with the improvements you're seeing in your running!  That is an awesome pace... your hard work is really paying off.  Congrats!
2010-06-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2904701

User image

Austin, Texas
Super race Jennifer!!!!  I am proud of you; your time is fantastic!
2010-06-08 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
WA
"Rethink wearing a white shirt on a rainy day ;-)"  <--- LOL!

Great job on the run!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peter Ott's 10K Rss Feed