General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New biker, have questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 12:16 PM

Subject: New biker, have questions
Hi everyone,

I recently decided to tackle triathlon so I bought a bike and had a professional fit, etc. done.  Bike feels great, no comfort issues on rides out to 25 miles.  However, I am amazed at how slow I am.  This morning I was struggling to maintain 16 mph pace on flat ground maintaining around 90 cadence-heart rate to my chagrin was in mid 140's (my max is 205 and resting around 48- I do most of my long runs w/heart rate in low 150's but on bike the 140's HR had perceived exertion level of about 170's on a run).  I thought given that I'm in reasonable shape (sub 1:50 1/2 marathon), that I would be able to sustain speeds much higher than I apparently can at a lower heart rate.

I'm very confused as to how I should be training on a bike; are the heart rate zones the same as they are for running?  I was told that lactate builds at lower HR while biking thus lowering HR zones on bike, is this correct, and if so, how much lower are zones for bike training.  What should I be working on to build speed: more mileage, hard rides, etc.  I'm just trying to come up with a good training plan for the bike, but I need to learn what I'm doing first .  Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.  

2010-06-07 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2905511

New user
Central, NJ
Subject: RE: New biker, have questions
I'm a newbie too, but you sound right on track to me.

I'm a 2hr flat half-mary, and can barely sqeek out 15-16mph on an 'regular' training ride unless I'm in a higher HR zone.

Your HR on your bike is going to be much lower than on your runs, your zones are different...mine are ~10bpm lower.
2010-06-07 12:34 PM

User image

run262 - 2010-06-07 1:16 PM

are the heart rate zones the same as they are for running?  

No.

Ride. Ride longer, slower, rides. Ride shorter, faster, rides. Just put in saddle time. In about 4-6 months revisit this question and see where you are.
2010-06-07 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider
How much have you ridden so far?

I think it is unrealistic to think you can get on a bike from scratch and just zoom.  Like everything else, there is skill and strength building to be had.  You started with a strong muscle and cardio base, so you will probably see improvements faster than most. But think about swimming or running, would you expect someone who doesn't do those things (but is physically fit) to just jump right in and start pacing with the pros?
2010-06-07 1:32 PM

Thanks for your responses.  In truth, I've only ridden about 150 miles in total as just got the bike a few weeks ago. Last week I rode 4x w/each ride being 15 miles.  This morning I went out and rode 20 miles.  I didn't mean to come off thinking I was going to be able to ride 20+mph off the bat, but I certainly thought in a sprint distance 18-19mph might be achievable even with very little riding-guess I was dead wrong.  So, I'll start doing a weekly longer and slower ride along with some shorter faster rides.  How fast can you add distance without serious risk of OU injuries?  I assume with low impact (compared to running) that you can add more than the old 10% weekly volume rule for running?  Motivation to ride more is a non-issue, but I want to build safely and avoid overuse injuries- at all cost.  Is there a chart or something that compares HR zones for biking to those for running or even a formula based on HRR or something?  I'm confused on where HR should be while riding for different zones. Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New biker, have questions Rss Feed