General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone Warrior Memorial Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keystone Warrior Memorial Lake Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Annville, Pennsylvania
United States
Multisport Maniacs
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 16m 1s
Overall Rank = 16/224
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/25
Pre-race routine:

Drove the bike course the night before. Woke up, showered, dressed. Ate one Honey Stinger bar at Greg's house - they changed the size, cut it in half, so now I have to eat 2 - and a banana. Grabbed a travel mug of coffee and drove to the race. Set up my transition, got body-marked ate my second bar and found the bathrooms.
Event warmup:

First I took my bike out for a quick spin - my first race on it and only my second ride, so wanted to make sure it was working ok. Noticed some shifting issues going from big to little ring up front during my last ride, but felt pretty confident there weren't any hills I would need the little one for on this course. While out riding my bike I found my mom, brothers and sister-in-law walking from the parking lot. Showed off my new ride to them, then continued back down the road. Got back to transition and someone had swiped my spot - left all my stuff in place, just basically put his bike on the rack facing the opposite way but over my stuff. Don't think he did it on purpose, so we re-arranged the rack a little and we all fit. Race director warned us the day before it would be crowded and he was right - lost of people chose to set up along the fencing rather than the racks. Went for a quick jog, came back, put on my wet suit and only had about 5 minutes to paddle around and warm-up for the swim.
Swim
  • 11m 45s
  • 750 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

First in my age group? Apparently somewhere over the last year I became a swimmer. Didn't feel great on this swim. Debated whether or not to use the wetsuit - worried about over-heating in this temp and if the savings over this distance would be worth it. Eventually decided that I probably am faster in the suit and have been getting it off ok in transitions. I was tired - felt like I wanted to quit for a lot of the race. Navigation was a little off. About 3 or 4 times had to correct course after I had gone a little off, but I caught it before I was too far off. Tried to draft for a while, but eventually ended up all by myself. Minor screw-up at the end when I thought I could wade earlier than I could. Most of the time I could see the lake bottom - I picked the only deep part at the boat launch to try to put down my feet. Again noticed that I don't seem to kick much when I'm in my wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't really treating this like a real race - actually had a pretty big training volume the week leading up to it and a crappy week and a half of sleeping. Not unhappy with my swim time - honestly not sure that I could have been much faster, but could have felt better rested and enjoyed it more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

No official T-times - the T1 time was combined with the bike time. Using my Garmin, this is my best estimate. Suit, goggles and cap came off fine - probably the least problem I've had getting my suit off. I took a second to swig some accelerade as I planned on not slowing down over this bike leg to drink besides the water in my aero drink. I had a really difficult time getting into my shoes - not sure what my problem was, but my feet weren't cooperating with their usual dexterity. May partly be due to the new bike - I'm not in exactly the same position and probably need to practice more.

Practice more with mounting the new bike. I finally saw someone do the jump on and get into shoes - I may get brave and try it (been way afraid of falling in the process).
Bike
  • 41m 40s
  • 15.25 miles
  • 21.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun course for me - I think by far the flattest tri I've done. Roads were a little wet. I took it easier on the corners and turns due to my relative unfamiliarity with my tri bike's handling. Didn't have to change out of my big ring up front once. I was comfortable in aero position for the first half, but did start to get sore in my upper back. I went out onto the brakes for a couple of the climbs and most of the turns to give myself a break. I definitely pushed the pace at the beginning - I felt some pressure to justify my expenditure last weekend on the P3! I didn't get passed as much as I'm used to - I can only remember 3 people passing me, and I passed at least 3 back - and I was able to keep most of those in sight easier. Very happy with my average - I hadn't hit 20mph yet in a race or training, so I feel like the new bike has made a difference. Weird to see my position on the bike vs. overall field to be my best leg comparatively.

Time in the saddle. Need to get used to aero position and adapt to it and the bikes handling. Also need to get used to the new position and learn how to pedal more efficiently in it. May need to get back to the bike fitter if discomfort continues.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Again, this is my best estimate on time. I went sockless since this was a shorter course - sort of expected to have a faster transition. Fumbled with my race belt a little bit - may have been part of it.

Put my belt on faster - part of my issue was that I had the number sort of backwards - need to put it on more carefully next time.
Run
  • 20m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I've always considered running my strongest leg, but compared to my age group and the rest of the field it was my weakest in this race. Run definitely felt hard to me - I was feeling my training volume and the bike leg for sure. Started off at what felt like a pretty good pace, but definitely fell off some. Both hills hurt me bad - I felt like I was barely running on the second one. About half way through I got caught by someone in my age group. I think only one other person passed me, but I didn't pass anyone after the first couple hundred yards. Looking at the results, I barely hung onto 4th in my age group - the next guy back almost ran me down at the finish. Pace overall was equal to the best I've done in a sprint, and this was a harder course.

Time to focus on my running. Hanging between 20 and 21' isn't going to cut it now that my swim and bike have moved me farther up in the field.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching, some water, some Heed, some Endurox. Waited for the results to be posted and hung out for most of the awards ceremony. Skipped the massage - I felt tired, but not really sore afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmm - I would definitely like to blame my training load from the week leading up to it. I didn't really focus on this as a real race - more of a speed workout - due to its proximity to two Olympic distance events I am more focused on. I haven't done a lot of speed specific run work - time to get back on that and see if I can start working my 5k down into the 19's so I can remain competitive. Obviously need to get used to my bike - I was happy to have this race to work on it!

Event comments:

Obviously a smaller race - although it drew about 2x as many people as the event they hosted in the spring last year. I don't believe there was a pre-race meeting - I don't think I needed one, but there were lots of newbies. Rack space was tight, and there was plenty of room in the parking lot to expand transition a bit. Volunteers were good overall - one did save my life by stopping a truck who didn't want to stop for him! Only one glitch - at the final turn back to transition there was no volunteer directing people to the final turn, and it was not blatantly obvious that is where the turn was. I saw two miss it, and heard of a few more. It would be nice to have more timing mats to get more accurate T times. I would do the race again - this was its first year at this venue, and I think overall they did a good job. Only giving it a 3 mainly due to the one point that should have had someone signaling for the turn and the lack of rack space and timing mats.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:45 | 750 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 22/224
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2
Course: Inverted triangle, fairly even legs. Two left turns around buoys, then back to shore with last buoy to the right and onto the boat ramp. Area of the lake the swim was in was a little shallow - worried if I had longer arms that they might have scraped bottom.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:41:40 | 15.25 miles | 21.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 18/224
Wind: None
Course: Most flat course on mostly very smooth roads. Only 426 feet of climbing according to my Garmin. Short section of rougher back road with some small climbs. Not much for hills besides a few small rollers and a section or two of low grade "false" flats.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:30 | 03 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 25/224
Course: Race advertised as a 5k, my Garmin said 2.94 miles, so I split the difference and called it 3.0. Mix of gravel trail, pavement and grass. A couple of steep hills - one over grass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Subject: Keystone Warrior Memorial Lake Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone Warrior Memorial Lake Triathlon Rss Feed