Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 1h 30m 11s
Overall Rank = 145/269
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up took a quick shower - got dressed and headed down to load my bike on my bike rack - what a cluster fudge, with many choice words, some huffing and puffing and name calling and 4 bungee cords it was secure on the rack.
Event warmup:

Hmmm...talked to some peeps, and waited around with fellow BT'rs until the rain cleared as I worried about my keys that were still in my bag - hoping that it wouldn't short out the remote car lock. When I got back to my bag after the rain stopped I literally had to take everything out of my bag and flip it inside out to dump the water out - fun times. After that I headed down to the beach where I met up with Kate - hey Kate! - and she explained the swim course and we went out for a quick warm up swim - holy god the water was warmer than the air.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy good lord. This was my first open water swim and @$%#^- those people are nuts. On my way out to the first bouy I got a foot to the face and a couple to the ribs. When I got to the first bouy I was trying to swim around it and seriously some chick grabbed my shoulder and literally pulled it down and then pushed off me - this really irked my, reminded me of being a goalkeeper and the stupid strikers putting their hands on my shoulder so I couldn't jump up to get the ball - at this point I was pizzed and started slapping at the water pretty furiously, when I was out of breath I realized that wasn't helping any and I peaked my head up found an opening and swam into it. I was probably half way to the second bouy before I finally found any rhythm and got comfortable which only lasted a hundred yards or so before I was caught up to a mess of other swimmers again. I swallowed more than my fair share of lake/pee water -GROSS - and at one point I did panic because the chop got me and I couldn't get a breath, but I was able to calm myself down and get back in the game. When I hit the second bouy based on my experience at the first bouy chose to pop up and aqua jog around the bouy - this I'm sure slowed me down but at least I didn't get as mad. Swimming in toward the beach someone literally tried to swim over the top/side of me (I got mad and pushed them off me opps). Made it out of the water and up the hill.
What would you do differently?:

My swimming has slacked a little bit and I need to incorporate more drills to build some speed and stamina. Outside of that, well I can't exactly simulate race conditions with stupid people trying to drown me at the Y - unless there are any folks out there in South Dayton who would want to come and try and swim over the top of me (ha ha ha). The first open water swim is down and aside from slight moment of panic when I hit the chop and got a mouth full of water I really didn't panic as much as it seems others have so I'll take it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

At least this time I was able to get my feet into my cages - unlike Miami where I almost fell over.

Nada
Bike
  • 45m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course was a piece of cake compared to Miami as far as hills and general course go. I do remember feeling discouraged while on the bike because I felt like I was going really slow at times - this though of course wouldn't be because of gnarly head and cross winds - sheesh - i felt like Dorothy and Toto at one point. I got passed by quite a few but mostly dudes, on those fancy bikes with those funny wheels that make the cool sounds, I passed a few too and had a couple ladies that I kept playing leap frog with. I guess for as little time as I have actually spent on the road - I can't complain about this.

More ride time, more ride time, more ride time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Yep, given that I don't wear bike shoes this was fast - get off bike, run bike to rack, rack bike, throw helmet down, take off - wahla - finito bambito.

nada
Run
  • 27m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Looking at my time, the run went better then I had thought, not as fast as my time at Miami but still under 9:00/mile which is awesome considering most of my training runs seem to average around 9:30 miles. The course was fine, the only thing that sucked was running in really soggy shoes - nothing like the toes squishing around and as if your legs and feet don't already feel heavy after getting off the bike adding heavy shoes really sucks - on the bright side even though I chose to go sockless - as the were soaked from the torretial down poor prior to the race - No Blisters :)

More real brick practice - I really didn't do but maybe one bike to run brick between Miami and Deer Creek, I think it would have been helpful had I been more prepared to handle that.
Post race
Warm down:

Hmmm....tried to hang some of my stuff to dry and found some fellow BT buddies and hung out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my confidence was lacking because the week and a half prior to deer creek my training schedule was goofy due to work travel etc. It wasn't that my fitness level was depleted but mentally I was feeling a little weak and I think this contributed to my overall readiness for the race. I was stoked to see the official results because my posted finishing time on site at the race was 6:00 minutes slower than what is posted on the results page, I remember looking at it and thinking it was off because I had started and stopped my watch and my watch showed 1:30:30 so now seeing the results and being at a total time of 1:30:11 and being 7th and my age group is awesome. Only 4 minutes slower than my Miami time and the swim was 350 meters longer and I know the transition were greater too.

Last updated: 2010-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/269
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:51 | 12.43 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:20 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/18
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2010-06-08 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2907069

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Good Job especially with the stormy seas and pirates and sharks and such.

Next time having a small Ark to keep your stuff in transition might be a good idea.
2010-06-09 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2907069

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Wow!  You rocked that race!  And i think there were sharks in the water, Toes. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed