EXCEL EVENTS & PRODUCTIONS LLC
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 44s
Overall Rank = 194/217
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Miami w/ Max & Jim. Got upgraded to a suite! Got up at 5, had a cuo of joe, half a banana and a bite of coffee cake. Got to the race and was attacked my mosquitos. They were brutal all day and I didn't think to be repellent even though I knew I'm gonna be half naked in a florida swamp all morning.
Event warmup:

Swam 100. Water was super warm.
Swim
  • 39m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took it slow & easy. I must have been last in my wave by a mile. Still, I kept up with freestyle the whole way and didn't puke once. Forgot to glide my pits and got some serious chafing. I felt like I was faster than my last swim here, but I think the longer course and no wetsuit had me out there for longer than I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe train a little? This swim alone was longer than all the swimming I'd done in the last 6 months. Not good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Long run to T1 over rough pavement. I had to run gingerly. Otherwise OK.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 39s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike; I beat my last split on the same course by 2 minutes. No wind at all, for once. This one guy who I kept passing yet kept sneaking up on my got busted for drafting. I felt like someone was on my wheel but never looked back to confirm. Then he passed me and the official was right there to bust him. Lower back and ITs started to get tight around mile 20. I'm a bit disappointed in that I was sure I'd average 20.5 on this ride, but I forgot about how long the bridge sections are.

Maybe train in aero? Ya think? Slapped the aero bars on the bike 3 days before the race, moved the seat and took out a riser. Got tight towards the end and ended up riding faster up on the hoods at that point.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Took my time. It was already getting hot. Switched glasses, dried my feet and put on socks. Ate a gu, sucked some gatorade.
Run
  • 1h 26m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Super, super hot. Everyone was wilting, me most of all. Heat is kryptonite to my running. I had to stop at every aid station to drink a few cups of heed or water and pack my hat with ice. I felt tight off the bike and didn't start to warm up until mile 3. Got some tiny blisters down the stretch (I was soaking wet at this point) but nothing like my first experience here where I blistered badly.

Had a knee injury in March so I was just getting my run back a few weeks before the race. Being lighter would help my speed and mitigate some of the problems with cooling.
Post race
Warm down:

Got thru the chute and just looked for shade and more ice. Filled my hat up twice more. Had a bite in the tent and split with the guys to go spearfishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat was very problematic for me and everyone else. It really was brutal. Still, I was dead last in Clydes and one of the slowest men overall. I had a terrible spring with injuries, surgery and gaining weight so I really only had 4 weeks to prepare. Oddly, I felt like I was faster than my last time at this course yet I finished 14 minutes slower. Seems like everyone was 15-20 minutes of their usual pace with the heat, though. Whatever my excuses I was way BOP and surprised at how poorly I performed against the field.

Event comments:

I like this course, but they sure do charge a lot of $ for this race with a so-so expo, so-so food, and no schwag. Not a lot of value here. Had a great time spearing off Biscayne after the race. I get to do this course again in August and I plan to be way more ready and way more fit.

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:13 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 0/217
Performance:
Suit: nope
Course: Longer than last year; they moved the swim start way downbeach because of the construction. Big 'ol triangle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:39 | 24.8 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 0/217
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Two loops on Biscayne with 4 trips over the big bridge.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal