Tucson Tri Sries
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 121/141
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/29
Pre-race routine:

I drove in from Texas the day before and my brother let me stay at his place. It was about a 20 minute drive from Cortaro Farms Road. This was my first tri, so I didn't want to be late. I woke up at 3 a.m. and drank two cups of coffee (need the coffee). Ate a power bar and a banana and drank some Propel on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Got to the site at 4:30, the time that the transition opened. Found a rack and set up my transition, then set it up different, then re-arranged it, then set it up again the way I wanted it. Then the rack got crowded, so I had to consolidate my area. Not a biggee. Went to the bathroom three times (thank God I didn't have to stand in the line for the women's bathroom). Spend the last 1/2 hour trying to explain to my wife that she cannot enter the transition area to help me, otherwise I will be disqualified. She was confused, but it worked out in the end. Since I am such a slow swimmer I started 5 minutes after the first person (bib #22). This worked out, since the waiting was killing me. I lost my bike number and couldn't find it. More about this.
Swim
  • 19m 51s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the event I was most worried about and it turned out to be my best, and that just makes me downright MAD!
What would you do differently?:

Need more work on technique and breathing. Maybe pratice flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

What the heck happened here? If I had stayed in this transition any longer they would have had to forward my mail to me. Well...I never really practiced the swim/bike transition. Then, coming out of the pool I was so pumped that I ran past my bike rack. Then, since I couldn't find my bike number, the official said I need to put my runner's number on my bike. This involved taking it off my run belt (where it was safety pinned), finding tape, and taping the number on the top tube. I was really upset(not at the official, but at myself) so I sat down and took a long drink of water to try to regain my thoughts. Getting socks, shoes, helmet, glasses, and gloves on were not a problem. I ran about 15 yards past the "mount" line before I got on the bike. I was nervous about mounting too early.

Not lose bike number. Forget the gloves, don't need them on a 12 mile ride. Also really don't need socks, but since I trained with socks, I didn't want to take the chance. . Practice...practice...practice.
Bike
  • 39m 21s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT of the entire year. This is the leg that I thought I would excel at, and I wound up just pooping. I'm not sure what happened? I've never ridden a 20K in more than 35 min. in training. I don't want to make excuses. I am very, very disappointed with my bicycle performance. I was a little nervous about saving energy for the run, but I possibly saved too much.

I have never ridden on these roads before, and underestimated how bumpy the route really was. Potholes and raised railroad tracks really made it hard to stay in the aero position. If there is a next time I will get rid of the aero bars. Perhaps I spent too much time training for the swim and not enough for the bike. I WILL NOT make this mistake again! This was the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT of the entire year!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Good transition. No problem getting feet out of shoes while approaching transition. Found rack right away. I had speed laces on my running shoes, so all I had to do was slip into them. Ran with my bicycle socks on, as I had done in training. I had practiced this transition, so I was expecting it to go smooth. It did. The reason it took so long was because I now had to take the number off of my bike and pin it again on my number belt. Otherwise this would have been under a minute.

Not lose bicycle number - other than that, a good transition.
Run
  • 23m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I am mildly pleased with my run. I had run faster in training, but I did not take into account the fact that my adrenaline would affect my performance. I had enough energy to do a 50 meter sprint to the finish.

Practice drinking while running. I spilled way too much water, and it was in short supply already.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my wife. I watched some of the other contestants finish. I saw Ms. Gwodz finish, and a few others. I was going to introduce myself and my wife, but she looked busy talking to other people and I didn't want to interrupt them. They offered massages, but I didn't feel like it. I knew as soon as I crossed I was going to be disappointed. I just walked and drank water, ate a banana, and cheered others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming, biking, running, and transitions. But other than that...

Event comments:

This was my first tri, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I will say that I was impressed with the organization, and if I decide to do another tri, I would do one by this organizer again. They did not have timing chips, so my transition times are based on the times my wife gave me. I'm assuming she is pretty close. My goal was to finish in 1:15:00. This didn't happen. Another goal was to finish about the middle overall and in the top half of age group., and this didn't happen. I didn't meet either goal. But I did get a t-shirt.

Last updated: 2005-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:51 | 750 meters | 02m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/141
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: This was a pool swim, serpentine style, with swimmers starting 5 seconds apart. This is exactly what I practiced in...a 50 meter pool, so I was not too freaked out.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:21 | 12 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Around a 1 mile square city block. 3 laps equalled 12 miles. Some railroad tracks and many potholes to contend with.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:45 | 03 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Nice run through the university campus. This is where it was really beginning to get hot. I had hydrated well on the bike, but somehow managed to get stomach cramps. This never happened in my training bricks. My theory is that I went out too hard and didn't get my breathing in the normal rhythm. Pace was good. Could have used some more water during the run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-05 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Firecracker Tri
I should say as a footnote that I did have fun while doing it. Perhaps I'm too obsessed with time. I have been known to be competitive, even when no one else is.

Edited by crazylegs 2005-07-05 9:24 PM

2005-07-05 9:35 PM
in reply to: #191015

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Firecracker Tri

Great job on your first race. Looks like you held a great pace on the bike and run. Way to go! It is pretty fun, isn't it?

2005-07-05 10:05 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Don't get too down on yourself about the bike portion.  This was your first tri and stuff happens.  The important thing is, you learned a bunch of stuff, so I'm sure things will go smoother in your next race.

Euclid Ave was terribly rough!  I got a constant bath of Gatorwater from my aerobottle because of it.  How people were able to stay in the aerobars on that stretch I have no idea!

You probably saw Gwozdzilla talking to Dorkboy and I.  Ya should've introduced yourself!  She was going around asking every guy in a red & black tri suit if they were from NM, but never found you.  Ah well...perhaps we'll meet at another tri. 

Good luck in your future races!

2005-07-06 6:20 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job! You are a triathlete!!

I think your times are good...for your first race. Think of all the good things you accomplished...you did it! You adjusted when your number was lost...you learned what you need to do to improve.

My bike times are slower in races compared to training rides. I'm starting to do swim/bike bricks in an effort to get better at that!

When is your next Tri?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker Tri Rss Feed