View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Farmington, New Mexico
United States
Total Time = 3h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = 71/122
Age Group = m25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke around 4:45AM, downed a dry mini bagel, yogurt, banana, and a Luna bar. Headed out to the course and set up our bikes. Then drove to the lake and set up T1.
Event warmup:

couple strokes in the lake
Swim
  • 28m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was 1.5km, split up into two 750m counter-clockwise laps with a little jog in between each. I planned on starting on the right near the front. I wanted to expereince a little pounding in the water to get used to mass starts for other races. Once we started, I was right in the thick of things. I was able to set up a little space for myself and attempt to get into a rhythm. However, about 200 yards into the swim, I felt terrible. I couldn't breathe, I felt constricted, and I had a tough time sighting. I was considering quitting. Still, I told myself that if I still felt this badly after the first lap, I could reevaluate things. Sure enough, once I hit the first buoy, I was OK. The rest of the swim was pleasant. The water was a good temperature.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

During this transition, I purposely took my time. I wasn't in a big rush and wanted to give my HR a chance to settle down.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 22s
  • 20 miles
  • 10.68 mile/hr
Comments:

LAST EVENT
I had ridden the course already, so I knew what was coming. What I didn't know was how slow I am on a mountain bike. I started the bike in 40th or so position and finished in 70th or so. Dudes (and plenty of women) were flying by me. I couldn't pull over enough to allow the masses to pass. I don't know if it was my 30lb bike, lack of experience, or fear of wiping out that kept me slow. Either way, I didn't do well at all. At the end of the first loop, there's some climbing. I was too tired to focus on getting a good line up some of the technical stuff, and I had to walk my bike a bit. I was feeling fatigue in my legs and didn't know how much gas I could give it. I decided to go at a medium pace and focus on staying upright. I was waiting for Dave to pass me at any time. One bright note: on the pavement, I was able to TT' it and pass a few folks. Sure enough, they passed me right back once we got onto dirt.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I took my sweet time again. Put on my gloves while standing around, banged some sand out. Tried to gather myself for the impending doom of the 20mile mtn bike ride.
Run
  • 49m 11s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

2ND EVENT

My plan here was to RELAX. Get into a Zone 3 or so pace and grind it out. I had to resist the urge to keep up with someone in my age group who passed me (and who probably went on to post some crazy fast time). The first 4 or so miles were uneventful. Some hills and soft sand. The last leg of the run, however, was ridiculous. I understand the whole "off-road" part of the race, but seriously, the race directors sought out the deepest soft sand and steepest short hills to navigate. After zig-zagging through it all, I finished feeling OK.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:14 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:52:22 | 20 miles | 10.68 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:11 | 06 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
OKC
Subject: XTERRA Four Corners

2010-06-08 11:46 PM
in reply to: #2909892

Subject: RE: XTERRA Four Corners
Sounds like a tough race.  Way to hang in there!
2010-06-09 10:08 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Good RR and race.  Yeah, sounds like typical Xterra goodness to me!  After throwing a challenging bike segment at you, they ALWAYs manage to find a "unique" run to finish it off with.  Good times! Well done sir.
2010-06-09 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
I'll comment as well as many people feel the mountain bike as the more intimidating section of an xterra... but of the ones I have done, there is usually some sort of sick sadistic twist in the run to make you laugh and hurt at the same time.

Good effort out there and nice race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Four Corners Rss Feed