General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-09 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity
Doing my first Oly this weekend and the forecast is mid 80's and high humidity.  Was a little concerned about the race to begin with, especailly the hilly run, but now I am more concerned.

Any advice for racing in these conditions?  Anything I can do now (load up on water, etc)?

Thanks.

2010-06-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2910296

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity
I stressed out for 3 days watching the weather forecast climb into the 90s for my first HIM.  I was so tired of stressing prior to the race that I finally just let it go and embraced mother nature on race day.

1.  Do not let it psyche you out mentally!  You cannot control the weather, so embrace whatever comes.  Remember, racing has a lot to do with "mental effort". 

2.  Hydration/electrolytes!  I used Infinit for the first time in a race and think it's what saved me.  I was well hydrated and had plenty of electrolytes in my system.

3.  Cold, wet ice towels.  My race had ice towels which I re-wetted at each water stop to wipe my face and wrap around my neck.  I also poured a cup of water over my head and chest at every water stop.  You can take your own if they are not provided and just wet it at the water stops.

4.  SMILE!  It's hard to feel miserable when you are smiling. 

Despite the heat and humidity, I felt good throughout my entire race while others were dropping out.  Yes, the heat drained my run pace, but I still SMILED the whole way!

We do this for fun, right?

Laughing

Edited by maria40nc 2010-06-09 8:26 AM
2010-06-09 8:40 AM

in Louisiana its constant high 90's and almost 100% humidity, so training in those conditions helps a little.
2010-06-09 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

1. Make sure you're full hydrated in the days leading up to the race, but be careful not to overdo it.

2. Get as much sleep as possible between then and now.

3. Listen to your body. It'll tell you pretty clearly if you're going to fast in the race.

2010-06-09 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
From another native Louisianian, that sounds like a comfortable day. 
2010-06-09 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
I have learned over the years not to worry about something I have no control over, although Iam not that good at doing it, but I try. When it comes to weather, I stopped checking forecasts until 1-2 days before the event because they have never been right with predictions as far as I am concerned.

Good luck and have fun with your first OLY.

2010-06-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2910371

User image

DC

3.  Cold, wet ice towels.  My race had ice towels which I re-wetted at each water stop to wipe my face and wrap around my neck.  I also poured a cup of water over my head and chest at every water stop.  You can take your own if they are not provided and just wet it at the water stops.

Even better, use a runner's cap & fill it w/ice at every opportunity. Compliment a cool head w/as much running in the shade as you can. It astonishes me how many folks, given the choice, run in the sun during races. During my first HIM, it was well over 100 & I would tell people to join me on the shaddy side. For some stupid reason they wouldn't. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

Lastly, do maintain perspective. Along w/the other obvious advise (hydration etc.), note that the hardest part will be the run (fill it w/ice!!!!!). The swim will obviously be fine & the bike will allow you to opportunity to stay hydrated & cool w/the wind effect. So... don't stess as others have said. 
2010-06-09 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
New Mexico
It was 77 degrees with 98 percent humidity here at 6am this morning - so I feel your *future* pain.

When racing, take 2 cups of water at each aid station. One to drink (or swish in your mouth, sometimes drinking too much when running in the heat makes me a little queasy) and one to dump on your head. Slow down if you need to. You'll be fine!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Forecast: High Heat and Humidity Rss Feed