General Discussion Race Reports! » About Family Fitness Duathlon - My 1st Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

About Family Fitness Duathlon - My 1st Race - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log
Sunrise, FL
United States
Multirace.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 49s
Overall Rank = 190/192
Age Group = Fat Tire
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Had a terrible night sleep - I had a fever and my baby was up a bunch. I fell asleep at 12 and was up at 4! Got dressed, finished packing my bags with cold water, ate an apple and a bagel w/jelly. Woke everyonec else up and finally got on the road about 5:45. Got there a little later than I wanted since it was my first race and I wasn't sure what I was doing. I had my husband stay with the kids and put my wheel on while I took my bag over to set up. The bikes were racked by number which made it easy for me - even better because I was the only bike on my rack. I got to meet Mimir98 when I picked up my chip, then I met hermom and family at the bike racks. It was SO nice to meet everyone before we started!
Event warmup:

Not much except running back and forth to the car to get my bike then nurse the baby before the race started. I wanted to fill him up because I didn't want to hear him crying while I was racing - I would have felt so guilty!
Run
  • 22m 28s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I started slow and talked with a couple of nice people. Then I realized I could go a little faster so I ran ahead (the only time the whole day I would pass anybody!) and caught up with someone running at my pace. I was happy to be able to run the whole 2 miles (I can't always do that at home yet) and still feel pretty good after. I am a little confused about the timing though. When I got to the timing mats it said about 21 minutes, so I was really happy and slowed down a bit to get to transition. Then at the entrance to the transition there was another timing mat. On the results they list my running time as 22:28 (when I hit the 2nd mat), but they list my pace as 10:41 which would correspond with when I hit the first mat.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I was happy with my first run. I actually beat 8 people in this leg!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This was fine - I didn't rush too much. I put my helmet on, had a big drink from the water in my bag and was on my way. I walked the bike out, hopped on and started off.

Nothing
Bike
  • 52m 25s
  • 10 miles
  • 11.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know about my overall rank. I mean I know I was dead last, but the results page says I was number 194, but there were only 192 people listed! I guess they thought I was so bad they would put me down there :) This leg was funny. I was so slow I got passed by every single biker out there - I felt like I was standing still. The worst was when the two older ladies came up behind me singing God Bless America and started shouting that this was the first time they had ever passed anyone on the bike! I made their day. When I got to the end of the loop the volunteer tried to get me to turn for transition - he couldn't believe I had another loop.

My bike is obviously what killed me - I am SO slow. I bike slower than most people run. I knwo it partly the engine, but my bike is a major problem. It is so heavy and old. My husband informed me later that a rim is bent and it rubs against the brakes when I ride. He said it's like I am towing something with me. I wasn't planning on ever using this bike for a race so I never bothered to fix it up. I am still not planning on using it again so it will stay in its delapitaded state I think.

Overall I still had fun here. I knew I would be slow, I just never realized how fast everyone else is! I kept reminding myself I was lucky to even be out here. I think the funniest part was when I was slowly puttering along on my second loop and I saw a car go by with someone who had already finished and was on his way home! Then another, and another... :)

Get a new bike. Bike more. I did do my best with what I had though so I am not really dissapointed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This was fine again. My legs were gwtting so tired by now I didn't try to rush or anything. I grabbed a few drinks, took a bottle with me for the run and slowly walked out of transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 21s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Again I don't understand the timing. They said I took 28:21 minutes but that my pace was 13:30 which would make my time 27 minutes for 2 miles. Oh well - I was happy I beat 6 people on this leg. So, if this race was just running and transitions I wouldn't have been last! :)

This was SO hard! I was beat. My legs were tired (but not that brick feeling which was nice) and I was out of breath. I knew ahead of time I would be walking much of this leg, but I thought it would be about 50/50. It turned out to be about 75% walking at least. I tried my hardest to catch up to the ladies in front of me, but whenever I would run for a few yards so would they. Oh well, I couldn't have pushed any harder. I was so excited to see that finish line and of course I ran the last section up to the end! Raised my arms up in the victory pose and was done :)

Practice bricks more - just keep training to get better endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around feeling like I was going to puke. I felt dizzy and elated at the same time. I went to the food table, said hi to Mimi, got an orange and stumbled back to my car. I was too tired to even get my stuff, I had to have my husband go get it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't had enough time to train, but there is not much I can change about that with a 3 1/2 month old baby and two older girls.

Event comments:

I had a great time at my first race. I started out as DFL, but when the results came up two people had penalties so I was technically 2nd to last.

I was proud of myslef, my husband was proud and my kids were so proud. My two year old kept shouting, "Mommy, you did the bicycle team!" They were troopers considering I got them up at 5:15 am.

Last updated: 2005-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:28 | 02 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 184/192
Performance: Good
Course: A little out and back U-turn section then a loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:52:25 | 10 miles | 11.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 0/192
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around the industrial park - not very scenic, but it was nice and flat and had some shady spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:21 | 02 miles | 14m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 186/192
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as before
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-06 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: About Family Fitness Duathlon - My 1st Race
I almost forgot - thanks to Mimi and hermom and herdad for cheering me on!!

Edited by MomX3 2005-07-06 11:10 AM

2005-07-06 4:55 PM
in reply to: #191364

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: About Family Fitness Duathlon - My 1st Race
Excellent report....and you have such a great attitude. You did really well, and learned alot. Now you know to train more, and yes a different bike will shock you at how much better it feels. I just think you're awesome for getting out there and doing it! not many new moms (well 3rd time new mom) also new to the sport would do what you did!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » About Family Fitness Duathlon - My 1st Race Rss Feed