Youth and Family Alternatives, Inc.
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 14s
Overall Rank = 198/767
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/29
Pre-race routine:

Found a place to park, walked to registration. Took my shirt/packet back to the car, saw Laura & Ben on the way. Found Steph & her mom and repeated the process with them. Wandered back toward the start area and waited for the gun.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a nice course. Lots of shade and pancake flat. Attracts a good number of inexperienced racers, so it is wise to be careful in the beginning and then drop them as they start to walk at half a mile in. Fortunately, it's on a closed course, so there's plenty of room. Hit the 1-mile marker at 8:34, 2 mile at 17:06. Didn't think I'd be able to keep that pace up after racing last night, but mile 3 was done in 8:23. Out-sprinted half a dozen people at the finish line (one was for AG position). New 5k PR! And if the Gmaps/BT trackers are correct, I ran it at 8:16 per mile. Now I'm going to have to find a 5k to do at the end of a recovery week to see how fast I can go, since this came at the end of my biggest running volume week EVER. There were a few puddles of puke just over the finish line...watch your step.
What would you do differently?:

Not race at Picnic Island the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bottle of water and walked around to find a breeze. Talked to an older man who I was running with in the last mile for a few minutes while we both waited for our friends to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Adventure run 13 hours beforehand.

Event comments:

This is a great not-so-little-anymore 5k. Well organized, on time (actually a minute early by my watch). More than enough ice-cold water on the course, and Sims park is a great venue for the start/finish festivities and expo. If only they hadn't had it on one of the hottest days of the year (Tampa was 1 degree shy of tying the all-time record high this afternoon). They race t-shirts are nothing special, but decent. Finisher medals to all, which I found strange for a 5k. Carrabbas provided the post race food, and chip-timed results (actual times, not just gun time) posted online in less than 12 hours for only $15 makes this one already tentatively on the schedule for next year.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:14 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/29
Overall: 198/767
Performance: Good
Course: From Bank St. just North of Main around the lake, continued north parallel Grand Blvd. for a ways before hopping over a block. Loop around at the halfway point (Kenwood?), back down Grand and around the lake again to the finish. BT tracks the route at 3.17 miles. I'd love to see somebody's garmin results.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes