General Discussion Race Reports! » The BMH Pediatric Rehab Muncie Tri/Du/Aquabike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The BMH Pediatric Rehab Muncie Tri/Du/Aquabike - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
muncie, Indiana
United States
Muncie MultiSport
70sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 6s
Overall Rank = 33/43
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45am. Ate a bagal with peanut butter and drank a cup of coffee. Got my stuff and headed over to my sister's house. I was exited that my twin sister and my older sister were going to be racing today too. :)
Event warmup:

O.K., this is where the start of many mistakes happend today.

The water temp was around 75, wetsuit legal. My swim was only going to be 400 yards. I noticed that other sprint participants were not wearing theirs. My older sister wasn't going to wear hers. I wasn't for sure what to do as this was my FIRST OWS!! I felt like I could swim 400 yards without a problem as I could swim 1500 yards in a pool with no problem...first mistake. Never compare your ability in a pool to open water.

I decided to not wear my wetsuit. Second mistake. Wear your wetsuit if you can.

My warm-up consisted of light jog and stretching. We than headed over to the beach area to start the swim.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 400 yards
  • 03m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yes, you swas that correctly. Over 15 minutes to swim 400 yards. Sigh.

I'm not even sure where to begin. From beginning to end it was a sad, overwhelming, and scary experience.

From the moment I started swimming, it was difficult to catch my breath. I was hit in every direction from other swimmers. I just was never able to get into a rhythm. My sighting was miserable at best.

I struggled to get to the first bouy. I saw a kayake and swam towards the kayake and held on to rest. I saw a couple of other people doing the same thing. At least I wasn't alone. The guy in the kayake asked me if I was o.k. and I said, "i think so." He than asked me if I wanted to continue on. I said, "yes". Once most of the swimmers had gone by, I decided to make my way to the second bouy.

This is where it was scary. As I feebily tried to sight, I kept going off course!! Every time I would look up, no bouy. I would turn and it was waay over there. A couple of times, some guy yelled, "your going in the wrong direction!" Crap! I was getting so frustrated and tired. Tired being the key word. I rolled onto my back to rest. In tears, I really thought I wasnt' going to make it. I composed myself, and decided to try and make it to the second bouy where there was another kayake. I swam as best I could and finally made it to the second bouy. I got to the kayake, and rested.

The guy in the kayake asked if I wanted to stop. I felt so humbled and defeated. But than I was Pi$$ed too. No freakin' way was I going to stop now. I was nearly there. I wanted to finish this god awful, crappy swim!!! I told him no, and I took off and headed for the beach. As soon as I felt the ground, I got up and ran towards the beach never looking back.
What would you do differently?:

EVERYTHING!

If anyone is reading this who hasn't swam open water, PLEASE, PLEASE, take this advice:

Practice OWS. You will not believe the difference it feels compared to a pool.

Learn how to properly do a second stroke, preferably breaststroke. You can't rely on only one stroke to get you through swimming. You need a back-up stroke. JMO.

Learn how to sight. And practice!

Wear a wetsuit if you can.

Never give up!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

At this point, it was pouring rain. I fumbled around to get my helmet and shoes on. Uneventful really. Thank God.

Well, I could always be faster.
Bike
  • 41m 53s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a nice course with scenic veiws, rolling hills, and little traffic. I enjoyed this. Until.....

I got a two minute penalty for not staying on the right of the road. Crap!!

Pay more attention to staying to the right.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I spent way to much time fumbling around putting my bike back on the rack.

Not fumble around lookin' like Jerry Lewis.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a hilly course. It was an out and back, so you could see the other runners heading back. It was nice because everyone said "good job" and "keep it up". I got to pass a few people and that was a nice feeling. The run was pretty good today.

Not much in this department.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate post-race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OWS!!!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

Overall this is a nice race. The people are friendly and supportive. This was a very small race...for the sprint distance that is.

I was truely humbled and overwhelmed in the swim today. I will never underestimate OWS. Will I give up on triathlon? No.

I'm a little bruised and battered today, but tomorrow, I will dust myself off, and begin again. :)

Last updated: 2010-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 400 yards | 03m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 43/43
Performance:
Suit: tri-suit
Course: rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:53 | 12.5 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/43
Wind:
Course: One loop around the lake.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 18/43
Course: A hilly out and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-13 8:23 AM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: The BMH Pediatric Rehab Muncie Tri/Du/Aquabike

2010-06-15 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2918247

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: The BMH Pediatric Rehab Muncie Tri/Du/Aquabike
Hey, good race!  Don't worry about the issue you had with the OWS, just a first timer's jitters.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The BMH Pediatric Rehab Muncie Tri/Du/Aquabike Rss Feed