Setup Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 34s
Overall Rank = 104/412
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/74
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Had coffee/breakfast and watched Royal Pains while waiting for the coffee to "work". Hit the road just before 5am.
Event warmup:

Stretched. Realized I forgot chip strap. Peed. Peed. Peed.
Swim
  • 17m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

WTF happened here? Honestly don't know. I must have swam so far off track on the first 300m that I was in another lake. I had problems seeing the bouys in the beginning but thought I was going in the correct general direction as I didn't see any kayakers. About 1/2 way to the 1st bouy, I could finally see the bouy and swam straight line from there but thought it was wierd that I wasn't getting pummeled...at all. Swim wise, I felt good. No panicing, breathing was good and felt strong. After the first turn, I had no problem sighting and swam a bee line into the squigly man. Got out of the water, looked at my watch and though the thing was broken (I just changed the battery the night before) as that couldn't have been my correct time. Starting doing the math in my head...my pace would have been almost 25 sec/100 slower than my HIM a month before. I felt that my swim was actually good and was in the upper 14's. Soon realized my watch was working just fine and I had just completed the worst swim of my life. 17:38...less than two months after a 13:32 750m and a month after a 39:00 1.2m swim. Oh vey.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to be close enough that I can actually see the sighting bouy?!?! I never realized I was off course until I got home and tried to analyse what the hell happened. Thought about how I never really had any traffic swimming (in the largest AG no less) and finally put 2 and 2 together.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Sand in cleat and couldn't get clipped in for 1/2 mile...same freaking thing as last year.

Cleat covers?
Bike
  • 48m 27s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Hoped on bike...realize Garmin battery is dead. Fan-freaking-tastic. No cadence/speed (execpt for an old bike computer that hadn't been reset but did have current mph). At this point I was really starting to get agitated. Rode pretty hard but I had already mentally checked out of this race. I really like this course though. I didn't expect to do great on the bike as I hadn't ridden that much since my HIM last month and the past 5 months of training have been edurance rides with almost no sprint training. Time was within seconds of last years bike split.

Sprint work. Charge stupid Garmin before a race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

No problems here.
Run
  • 21m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

At this point, I just wanted to get the race over with. Had no Garmin to pace myself so I just went on feel. First mile said 6:08 but I think the marker was too short as I didn't feel like I was going at that pace. Don't remember mile 2 split. Got passed by a guy in my AG and for the first time, I didn't care and didn't attempt to re-pass him. Just kept on going. Felt fine the entire run, nothing special. No big kick at the finish like I normally do. Blah. Time was good and was a sprint run PR but that was not suprising. Hoped to go under 21 but no go today (nor did I care when I was running.

Charge stupid Garmin before a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Banana. Beer. Beer. Coffee. Bread.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stoopid lake.

Event comments:

This is the first time in a while that I was not happy with a race. I did beat my time from last year (barely) but that was my 1st ever tri. Totally disappointed in my swim. No where close to hitting a sub 1:30 goal time with that swim. Oh well. Sh1t happens. Went home, got on some clean running clothes and then went to a 1k beer run at noon at the local brewery. That was more my style! Finished 5th out of 600+ in that one! That at least made me feel a little better!

Last updated: 2010-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:38 | 820 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/74
Overall: 235/412
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Rectangle two turn
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:27 | 17 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/74
Overall: 145/412
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: The bike course is a 17 mile loop – a course that is best described as moderately hilly. There are no big climbs on the course – but a series of rollers and a couple of fairly long hills though not steep.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:22 | 03.11 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/74
Overall: 41/412
Performance: Good
Course: It's a mostly off-road run course on the trail system at Latta Park. The run surface is hard-packed dirt/gravel. The course is heavily shaded and features a couple of hills – neither of which is long or steep. Aid stations will be located every mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Tri Latta Triathlon

2010-06-14 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2919688

Subject: RE: Tri Latta Triathlon
You tore up that bike and run.  Those are great numbers.  Way to go.
2010-06-15 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2921309

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Tri Latta Triathlon
wolfpackmike - 2010-06-14 6:09 PM You tore up that bike and run.  Those are great numbers.  Way to go.

Thanks mike.  It was a truely frustrating day but I was happy with my time vs. effort on the bike and run. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Triathlon Rss Feed