United States
Tri on the run
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 15s
Overall Rank = 104/181
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

Packed the night before. Ate Apple, Pear and cliff bar for breaksfast at about 4:30 am. drove down and arrived at 5:30 am. made sure bike was fine. marked in set up and waited.
Event warmup:

no warm-up
Swim
  • 22m 6s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last one in the water (hung up in restroom). got hung up on some people and a guy kept swimming left into me. Waves were choppy and difficult to deal with until I got out past the surf where they calmed down. Main thing was once I stopped taking in water from the waves, I got my breathing rhythm down. Once I got my breathing down I tried to sight, but sighting was difficult with the waves. Had to stop and look around a few times to be able to find somehting to sight. Drank ALOT of water. Felt slow but felt good for first swim.
What would you do differently?:

just practice. I felt like I had a pretty solid first swim. Need to practice in teh pool first and then once I have that down SOLID, practice on the waves. Make sure I have strong foundation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Really didn't press on time in the transition. My #1 goal was to make sure I didn't still have sand on my feet.

just hurry a little faster. Otherwise happy with transition.
Bike
  • 59m 54s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering how much gas I had left at the end of the race and what I went into the run with, I think I pushed just about right on the bike. I had just enough left for the run. Pretty happy with the bike. a little over 18 mi/hr pace is good for me. It's about as hard as I can push for that amount of time. I did drop a water bottle, so I need to find out what causes that and change it.

not drop bottle. otherwise pretty happy with my bike part.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I was just trying to keep my legs under me at this point so running with my bike wasn't much of an option. I don't have bike shoes either so alot of this stuff doesn't really apply to me.

just need more practice
Run
  • 49m 50s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I was spent after the bike and had a hard time with the run as evidenced by my rank. I don't know if I could have pushed it harder. It was one of my slowest runs ever. I know it now and I knew it at the time. I just didn't have it in me.

I'm wondering if there might have been a nutrition void????????? I was pretty gassed by the time the run came along.
Post race
Warm down:

sitting on the ground.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

seriously considering nutrition as a limiting factor. but can't take training out of the equation either. I did not taper for this race and I didn't do any nutrition other than fruit and cliff bar before race and gatorade during race. It's VERY possible that this race was at the top of my physical ability. I haven't trained over these distances yet and this might just be as good as I could do. But there is just a nagging feeling that I should have taken in some gel or calorie drinks or something. I just felt like my run was the result of just not enough sugars or carbs available in my body.

Event comments:

Overall, I'm happy with my race. It was the next step toward my goal of a HIM. Race was run well, and organized. They gave out water and an ICE Towel (which was a great idea, I thought) at the end of the race. They had bananas, oranges, cookies, donuts, mexican beans and rice, cokes, massages, and door prizes. I'll probably run it again next year. It was fun and challenging.

Last updated: 2010-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:06 | 1094 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 0/181
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Beach start. rectangular shape. out across and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:54 | 18.64 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/21
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Mostly flat with a couple bridges. Really liked the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:50 | 04.97 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/21
Performance: Below average
Course: flat through neighborhood. Out and back. kind of scenic actually and quite nice. 4 water stations and one house was spraying the runners down which was REALLY nice.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 10:45 AM

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Sylvan Beach Triathlon

2010-06-15 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2920194

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Sylvan Beach Triathlon

Tough conditions but great job.  I know it was painful on that run, but you pushed through it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvan Beach Triathlon Rss Feed