General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Sandcastle City Classic 10K Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 Sandcastle City Classic 10K Road Race - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
White Rock, British Columbia
Canada
The Semiahmoo Sunrunners Running Club
10F / -12C
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 27s
Overall Rank = 65/295
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove to Whiterock, otherwise known as the other side of the world if you live downtown.
Event warmup:

Rain was threatening so I thought it best to stay in my truck where it was nice and warm.
Run
  • 43m 27s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 20s  min/km
Comments:

As usual, I didn't review the course beforehand. Spoke with a fellow runner on the bus traveling to the start who gave me a brief outline which helped my pacing a bit. His tip on the slight climb around the 6-7 km mark paid dividends as I saved a bit in the tank for it.
So, started off slow which is my new secret weapon as far as pacing goes and it worked great again. Found that I increased my speed a little too quickly though. The increase seems to come naturally on it's own so I may have to fight that urge in future races. Settled into a fairly quick but manageable pace and cruised through the first couple of kilometers before "it" happened. "it" being another runner who I was convinced was two feet tall and running directly behind me. I say I thought he was two feet tall because, although he was keeping pace with me, he seemed to be taking four strides to my one. I know this because every time his feet struck the ground it was as if he was wearing tap shoes...tippety tappety, tippety tappety...the sound was driving me crazy! He stayed right behind me for a long time before I couldn't take it any longer and started evasive maneuvers to escape. First I caught up to another runner and when I was directly behind him I jumped three feet sideways and took off hoping he would latch onto this new runner and pace behind him instead, no luck. A few minutes later...tippety tappety, tippety tappety right behind me again, arrgh!!! Next maneuver involved stepping up my pace and trying to outrun him which took a lot of effort because I was already at a fast pace. Well, you know what happened, I pulled ahead about 5 meters but the guy managed to bear down and catch me again! This guy was a competitor, I'll give him that. A quick look back behind my shoulder at him as if to say WTF? with no reaction at all from my shadow. By now I was thinking more about the sounds coming from behind me than concentrating on my own race. There was nothing I could do to shake this guy so I just stopped dead in my tracks at the next water station. My nemesis seemed a little shocked at this and I watched as he continued on down the course. Shortly he was 75-80 meters along and I finished my drink and started running again. My plan finally worked as he stayed ahead of me and I could now relax and enjoy the rest of the race in peace. It cost me 10-15 seconds on my final time but it was well worth it.

What would you do differently?:

Wear ear plugs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a few hundred meters along the boardwalk after the race to settle heart rate down before I visited the food tables.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I suppose I could have prepared for this race better. Walking or previewing the course definitely would have helped. Since my shins were still aching from a race the previous weekend, I didn't do any training runs. Actually, haven't had any training runs since the Sun Run.
Obviously the mental aspect of this race could have been better. I don't blame the runner behind me either, we all have our running styles and stride peculiarities. I still don't know how he managed to keep pace using that method.

Event comments:

I can do better on this course. Maybe I'll give it a shot again next year. My giant post race appetite showed up once again and I came pretty close to eating a whole watermelon...seriously, I must have had 15+ pieces! Love that stuff! Oh, forgot to mention this race was a new PB for me in the 10K.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:27 | 10 kms | 04m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 65/295
Performance: Average
Don't wear HRM for races.
Course: Single loop on residential streets of Whiterock. This race is unique in that you park at the finish line and board a bus to take you to the start line some distance away. Course is mostly downhill and great for setting personal bests. Small uphill near the start but nothing serious.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 11:52 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: 2010 Sandcastle City Classic 10K Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Sandcastle City Classic 10K Road Race Rss Feed