Ultrafit
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 20s
Overall Rank = 97/465
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/36
Pre-race routine:

Half bowl of cereal, soy milk, cappucino.
Riding into the park and through the lot, I hit some sort of hole and blew my rear tire. Thankfully, Tri-Tech booth was able to fix me up in no time flat for $5 (if I had it, he said!). They saved my race!
Event warmup:

Ride bike to park (1/2 mile), basic stretching, short jog (5 min, max). Once in the water, I swam a bit to warmup. Maybe 6 min total.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thought the warmups would help my breathing but it didn't. My breathing didn't calm down until about half-way point. I think this is because I started a bit fast. Had to stop and stand 4 times.
Managed to sight fairly well. Second half went swimmingly. ;-) I was happy with my overall time, but still didnt swim as well as half the field!
I remember drafting for a short while, but was generally spooked by the others in the water. Got hit just a few times. Even the times that someone hit my feet threw me because I felt like I wasn't swimming fast enough. I got off fast because I lined up in front (with no one beside me) and felt like I had to keep up or stay ahead of the rest. Stupid in hindsight.
What would you do differently?:

Start out at a slower pace. Figure out how to get faster here! The pseudo-Total-Immersion training only helped a little. I keep putting swimming at the bottom of my priorities because the biking leg still appears to offer a bigger bang for the training buck. Maybe off-season. Maybe try a wetsuit...
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

No wetsuit to remove, managed best age-group time, 31st overall! Chose to put on socks/shoes rather than putting shoes on pedals. Tried the latter, but wasn't able to master it in a short practice time. Benefit was having socks for both bike and run. Not necessary in sprint, but my feet are thanking me for it today!

Nothing. I felt pretty fast running in the race shoes. Was also happy to have the socks. My feet are in good shape today.
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.46 mile/hr
Comments:

May have gone a little too hard, hurting me on the run, but it felt good at the time. Plus, the time saved on bike probably balanced out time lost on run. Was thrilled to be over 20 mph after last year's two sub-19 performances.
Got charlie horse right as I mounted the bike. WTF!
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Almost forgot to clip out at end of bike! Shoes are a little difficult to pull on with the quick-laces. Still faster than tying!

Practice flying dismount? Try leaving shoes on bike (especially if ground isn't wet for socks)?
Run
  • 24m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought the marathons/training would help me more here. Probably overdid the bike, though, hurting my running legs. Was breathing heavy the entire run, so I didn't try to push any harder. Might have been able to pick it up a little at mile 2, but mile 1 seemed to take forever, so I was worried I would hit the wall. But it's a sprint!!!! Should have pushed harder. Can't complain, though, as I killed last year's times.

Push a little harder, especially during the second half.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some walking. Banana, Gatorade, Water, more Gatorade, Myoplex chocolate shake, Nutrigrain bar, more Gatorade

Event comments:

Can't beat racing in your own backyard!

Adjusted my finish places based on three entrants with no swim times. Based on their history in triathlons, their overall times are missing the swim segment: Filippi, Rose, Groom.

Last updated: 2010-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/36
Overall: 248/465
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average