General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HHH....Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-19 8:20 PM

Burlington
Subject: HHH....Times
Well how did everyone do.  Me not so good.  I guess just finishing is good with the limited long rides and hill training I did.  My long rides for the year are 60, 80, and 100 and they were all a month ago.  Life keeps getting in my way.

My bike time not counting rest stops was 8:40.  I was hoping for sub 8:00

My ride went about the oposite as I thought it would.  I thought I would struggle with the hills and hammer the rest of the ride.  Actually did above average on the climbs.  My limited hill training and overall bike riding experience kinda hurt me.  Those descents were crazy scary for me.  Had my hand on the brake the whole time.  I tried hanging with a few groups that went by me, maybe get a draft, but I either couldn't keep up or I lost them on the descent.

I found the ride very tough mentally.  Its not like a marathon or a triathlon.  A marathon you have the course line with people cheering you on.  This ride you out on your own.  I did the ride with a couple of guys, but they finished two hours before me so I was out on my own.  In a tri you have a reason to finish.  A PR, age group top three, what ever your reasons for doing them are.  This ride I found it a lot easier to think about quitting or cutting the ride short.  Believe me it was very tempting to put my bike on the back of one of those sag cars at that last rest stop.

All in all I am very happy with myself for finishing and look forward to doing it again next year.  Will be a good tune up for IM Moo 2011!

Hope everyone else had a great time too and we'll see ya next year!

2010-06-20 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2932101

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: HHH....Times
Aw dang you just beat me. I was 8:41:35. But I sandbagged stage 1

I had a 23-tooth in the back, so I didn't think I would finish. Somehow I managed though, because I'm pretty awesome.

I think spending a lot of time at rest stops is actually a mistake. I spent almost 20 minutes at the last stop, so my back tightened up and it took a few miles to loosen up enough to put any power into the pedals. All the climbs felt downright evil from that point on.
2010-06-20 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I ended up only doing the 100k. With the heat and the wind I didn't want to kill myself out there. I finished in just over 5 hours. I rode my Surly Long Haul Trucker and wore cycling sandals and made an enjoyable day out of it.

I have to agree with you about the mental toughness and finishing these challenge rides. That is why I quit doing triathlons and like doing these challenge rides when I can. I find them to be more rewarding. I don't worry about my time when doing these rides. Just finishing on my bike and not having to walk up a hill is a first place prize to me.
2010-06-20 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I rode the 200k - 9 hours 30 minutes.  I had no time goal or idea about how long it would take me. I was just out there for some punishment. 

For me, about mile 95 is where the legs were getting tired.  

I did walk half of the last hill into the park, as I had nothing left in the legs at that point.
I have no ego. That hill is just evil.

Overall, I did have a good day.

I used this ride as part of my training for IMWI and after doing this ride the IM course seem 'easier'.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HHH....Times Rss Feed