General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 44s
Overall Rank = 517/604
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 61/66
Pre-race routine:

Randomly decided to do this race last night, so not a whole lot of prep was put into it. However there were a few things that are significant. I wasn't able to properly address nutrition, and I didn't even have a good meal after yesterday's 75k ride. A pint of Heineken and ANOTHER FREAKING PHILLY CHEESE STEAK aren't necessarily the best for recovery. To top it off, THIS cheese steak was covered with a nice layer of habanero sauce.

I set up my area very meticulously. My shoes were off to the side with rolled up socks placed inside. I used black and white socks that made it very easy to figure out which end is down. I applied sports tape to my IT band the way Ms. Miyaki showed me, and I precut three more pieces and attached them to the bar in case they came off in the swim. Numbers were in my helmet, and helmet was on the handlebars. I taped my gel to the top bar so I wouldn't forget it.
Event warmup:

Paced between the transition area and the car (I made about five or six trips). Swam a little bit. I vaguely remembered reading something about not breathing during the end of your warm up, so I tried it.
Swim
  • 41m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Yesterday's open water swim wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring. I was pretty anxious, and when I realized how far in the water I was alone I got pretty dizzy. Some of that carried forward into the beginning of this swim. There was a pretty bad logic loop going through my head. "This is ridiculous. I've never swam this distance straight before. I'm already tired. I lost my form. Where's the rescue kayak? I feel dizzy. I'm only doing one lap and going home. Time to take a break. Do I feel better now? No? Keep going. This is ridiculous. I've never swam this distance before..."

About 350m in I found a pair of women's feet and concentrated on keeping up with her and using the draft. I started to forget about those thoughts and my form started coming back. It REALLY started coming back. I started getting a rhythm and actually managed to pass a few people.

Sighting was a little difficult on the return. Stupid laser eyes with their starbursts. Any time I looked toward the sun I was blinded. The buoys were on the side of the sun. Maybe low-light yellow goggles aren't the best choice for a sunny outdoor swim.

By the time I came in at the end of the first lap, I had absolutely no problems continuing. I got back in and just kept going. Nearing the halfway point of the second lap I hit the point where I felt like I could continue forever. I wasn't tired, I wasn't bored. It was perfect. I was actually disappointed for it to end.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to swim faster. But there really is something I have to do about this anxiety. Maybe just more practice, and more events. I'm sure after a while it will become second nature.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Cap and goggles came off fine, but my wetsuit got stuck again. The Body Glide helped on my left foot, but the right got stuck on the timing chip. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make that easier. Maybe I can tuck it under the suit, as long as it doesn't interfere with its function.

I struggled with my helmet strap. Newbie. Running to the mount line I pulled my gel off the top bar, squirted a shot, and put it in my back pocket.

I was a rock star getting on my bike. After spending a bit of time watching people do it yesterday, I did it pretty much just like them. I passed about four people between the transition exit and actually being on the bike. I hopped right on (didn't snag my shorts this time), and got my feet on top of the shoes the first try. Everything was good until I realized that I forgot to un-velcro the shoes. It added a fair bit of time the the beginning of my ride. Oops.

Placed 26 out of 66 in age group and 234 of 620 overall.

Un-velcro my shoes. Learn how to do up a helmet. Figure out how to get the suit over the timing chip.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 49s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.63 km/hr
Comments:

I was tired from yesterday's ride, so my average speed suffered. There was a strong headwind on the northwest sections, which was pretty difficult to deal with. I didn't pass as many people as usual, which I took to mean I either had a better swim than the last one (and I was in a pack of stronger riders), or I was just tired. Or a combination of both. The ride back was freaking awesome with the tailwind (and a downhill). I got a chance to use the big gear, and averaged 43 km/h through one section!

My favourite passing maneuver is the one I'm going to call "the full 16 inches." I've been trying to figure how how I almost always build more speed on downhills compared to everyone I ride with. I know I'm not very powerful, but I keep up with riders that I probably shouldn't. This must mean I'm more aero. I measured the width of my shoulders and hips, and they're only 16 inches.

Since I have no aero bars, I've figured out this unorthodox tuck where I put my hands on the inside of the top of the drops (touching the stem), tucking my knees in to touch the top tube, nestling my elbows to my knees, and placing my chin on my hands. Even on the shortest hills I'm able to keep up with regular riders who are still pedaling (lightly I assume).

When the hill ends I use that rest and momentum to fly by one or two cyclists in front of me.

I ran out of water at the halfway point. I guess one bottle is not enough for an olympic on a hot day.

Not train double the distance the day before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Rock star getting off the bike. I took my feet out of the shoes a little early, but it was okay. I tried to set up a clear shot to the dismount line, but someone slowly moved in front of my path to stop and unclip, and pushed me to the side. The officials were pretty vocal about letting me know to get off before the line. I don't think they knew I was going to stop or dismount like the rock star that I was going to dismount like. :P I guess they assume the only rock stars are at the front.

I probably hopped off the bike a little fast, and I nearly overshot the turn into transition. No wonder they were yelling!

I stopped and sat down to reapply my sports tape, but it had blown off in the wind and got tangled up. I took a gulp of water and left.

Placed 39 out of 66 in age group, 272 of 620 overall, and #1 in awesome!

Use an actual IT Band strap instead of tape. Not bother drinking water (if I had brought enough on the bike it wouldn't have been a problem).
Run
  • 1h 07m 53s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 47s  min/km
Comments:

This was much better than expected. Ms. Miyaki (Dr. Cindy from Absolute Endurance) is a superstar for fixing my IT band. I wasn't expecting to run much at all, and when I did I was expecting to hurt. And when I was expecting it to hurt I was expecting to add weeks to my rehabilitation. But that wasn't it.

I was able to pass a few people this time! There were a few where we went back and forth, but for the most part I didn't lose too much time. I still alternated between running and walking (apparently 13 times - I freaking love my GPS).

My IT band did not hurt at all. And it still hasn't started hurting yet. I'm so stoked it's not even funny.

My form was pretty good when I was actually running. I'm pretty sure that when I started this new style, I was striking a bit too much on the balls of my feet. I think that's where the shin pain has been coming from. I'm nowhere near landing on my heels again (ewww), but now I've shifted it a bit toward the middle of my foot. I think this is better. I managed to run like this probably 80% of the time.

There were even a couple points where I managed to get my first runner's high. W000! Although it might have had something to do with my soaring heart rate - it was hovering in the low 170s (well into zone 5). My excitement was probably a bit high.

The only issue was near the halfway point. I've never had a quad cramp up before, but it did. When I stopped to stretch it, the opposing muscle in the back started cramping. So I pulled over, stretched the rear muscle (pretty much by touching my toes, but off to the side), then when that felt better I pulled the quad back to stretch. It worked well. I could feel it was a little tight for the rest of the run, but it didn't bother me much. For a small period it felt like my IT band on THAT side started hurting, but I'm sure that was related to the cramping.

The finish was good. It's hard to eff up a downhill run at the end. I wish I could run like that all the time.

Final time was 46 seconds off from my personal best 10k. That happened only other time I ran 10k, 23 years ago. Ew.

Aside from train enough to be able to run this straight? Let's cross that bridge when that happens.
Post race
Warm down:

Crap, still haven't done it yet. I ate a sausage. It was hard to eat something that hot, yummy and fatty in the heat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously not being able to run the full distance. But now the swim anxiety is something to address. Of course tapering would have helped too. Also yet again I had a lot of GI issues to deal with, thanks to last night's cheese steak and this morning's bad cereal choice. I really need to sort that out somehow.

Last updated: 2010-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 59/66
Overall: 572/604
Performance: Good
Lap 1 was 21:04 and second was 19:32. Add one minute for the run to the entry to the transition area.
Suit: Nineteen Frequency
Course: Two laps of a rectangular course with a walk in between laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:49 | 40 kms | 28.63 km/hr
Age Group: 54/66
Overall: 406/604
Average heart rate: 157
Wind: Strong
Course: Reasonably flat there and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:07:53 | 10 kms | 06m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 63/66
Overall: 551/604
Average heart rate: 163
Course: Along paths then through a conservation area. Two turnarounds.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 3:50 PM

User image

Toronto, ON
Subject: Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon

2010-06-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2932806

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon
Congrats on the solid finish!!!  It was a hard but fun race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake Weekend - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed