General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue, and a weak feeling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-20 7:08 PM

New user
Subject: Fatigue, and a weak feeling
Over the past month to 6 weeks I've had some problems with fatigue, and a general feeling of weakness, some slight dizziness along with an odd 'off' feeling in my stomach, not bad, but noticeable.  At first some problems sleeping.  I seemed to have 3 'cycles' where I just seemed to recover enough for a race, but did have to cancel a 10K because I wasn't feeling good.

I saw my Dr. on Thursday, and he seemed to think I was dehydrated, so the past 4 days I have spent resting and drinking, then drinking, then drinking some more.  I seem to feel somewhat better, but still have an odd feeling in my stomach, and a weird feeling in my arms and legs, almost like something negative is pulsing through my body which may account for my weakness. 

My Dr. also ordered a few blood tests, and he mentioned looking at thyroid and also electrolytes and cell counts.   I assume the while blood cell count test could show any infection.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any ideas what may be going on.  I researched so much the past few days my head is spinning, but seemed to read an infection, or thyroid problems, among other things, could contribute to dehydration, so that's got me worried. 

I don't want to lose too much fitness, and feel I could get some pretty good workouts in, but wondering how advisable that was.  Any feedback?  I'm thinking maybe some light bike workouts or light swimming might be good.  The Doc said to 'cut back on workouts' for 5-7 days, and I hope to hear the blood test results in next few days.

ANy feedback on similiar feelings or ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
     STeve

2010-06-21 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2933036

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Fatigue, and a weak feeling
It's really hard to say without any of the blood test results.  I'd bet low iron, B-12 and/or thyroid.  I also had the issue when I had some elevated liver enzymes which we (my dr and I) think was caused by fighting off an infection somehwere in my body.

When you say you're drinking a lot how much is that?  To some a lot is a couple of liters.  To others it's a couple of gallons.  I would probably just do some light, easy workouts until you hear more from the doctor.  Also make sure you're sleeping enough and getting good nutrition. 

Good luck!  It's frustrating when you have this overall eh feeling but can't put a finger on the cause. 
2010-06-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2934549

New user
COSkiGirl - 2010-06-21 1:48 PM It's really hard to say without any of the blood test results.  I'd bet low iron, B-12 and/or thyroid.  I also had the issue when I had some elevated liver enzymes which we (my dr and I) think was caused by fighting off an infection somehwere in my body.

I do take a daily B vitamin supplement, which I found over the winter seems to help my energy level.  The iron and thyroid are yet to be eliminated, but I do eat a fair amount of red meat if that is a source of iron - if I recall correctly.

When you say you're drinking a lot how much is that?  To some a lot is a couple of liters.  To others it's a couple of gallons.  I would probably just do some light, easy workouts until you hear more from the doctor.  Also make sure you're sleeping enough and getting good nutrition.

I've been just around or just over a gallon each day since last Friday, and this morning I felt much, much better.  Funny how when you feel bad for a while, just getting back to normal seems to feel incredible!  It's not as hot as it's been, and it's rainy today, so I'll probably do a slow ride later, and slug down water the whole time.

Good luck!  It's frustrating when you have this overall eh feeling but can't put a finger on the cause. 

Thanks COSkiGirl !  I appreciate the feedback and wishes.  I totally took 4 days to rest, as I'm not taking this lightly, and have learned, through research, some tricks to stay hydrated, and realize some mistakes I may have made.  Hopefully it was the incredible heat we've had, along with increased workout times that caused this, and no other contributing factor, so I can feel safe working out again.  I still feel kinda stupid if I didn't drink enough, but I totally misread some of the symptoms and didn't figure it out earlier.

Thanks again!

Edited by Steve59 2010-06-21 2:11 PM
2010-06-21 4:49 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Sounds like dehydration may very well have been the case.   I get 70-100 ounces a day depending on activity level and I always feel crappy when I don't.  But, see what they blood tests say and be mindful of flare ups to see if you can pinpoint anything else (like eating certain things, certain types of workouts, weather changes etc). 
2010-06-21 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2935297

New user
Just got back from a 16 mile ride, felt very good so kinda pushed some of the ride, then backed off just to test things.  I was talking to a guy who was running, about half my age, and he said he had been dehydrated and was doing the same thing I was, slugging down water, gatorade, banannas, etc....  It sounded like he was hit harder than me, but when we compared notes, he said he can't really drink much right before a run or during, so he has it worse than me, I can drink a fair amount before or during, except before a 5K.

I'm anxiously awaiting the test results, but feeling better about things.  We'll see.  I'm going back reviewing all aspects of my training, so good idea.

Thx again, gotta go refill my water glass Smile  It won't be half empty OR half full ! LOL
2010-06-22 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta

I've had the same symptoms.  Dizzy, can't focus, very tired. My stomach has been slightly messed up for months now and sleep too.  I had all the tests run and NOTHING came back to show any illness.

I have to think it's the training for triathlon that is doing this to me.  Based on the previous posts, I am going to increase my water intake and see if that solves the problem.  I take multi-vitamins and eat a healthy diet.  But I only drink about 1 liter of water a day.

2010-06-22 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2937596

New user
Patti678 - 2010-06-22 7:29 PM

I've had the same symptoms.  Dizzy, can't focus, very tired. My stomach has been slightly messed up for months now and sleep too.  I had all the tests run and NOTHING came back to show any illness. 

I still have some stomach issues, it's kinda like my stomach / system is struggling to process food and hydration and is mildly upset.  I have some dizziness, and tiredness, but overall kinda improving so guess I'm just impatient since just diagnosed last Thursday, but have been experiencing a wide range of symptoms over the last 7 weeks.  Sleep is down 1-1.5 hrs. per night too

I have to think it's the training for triathlon that is doing this to me.  Based on the previous posts, I am going to increase my water intake and see if that solves the problem.  I take multi-vitamins and eat a healthy diet.  But I only drink about 1 liter of water a day.

I had really increased my training this year, so wondering if this next thing or any other things are a result of that.  Upon exhale, not always though, I sometimes get a weird kind of flutter.  Hard to explain, but I can't tell if it's coming from my lungs, heart/heartbeat, or possibly my stomach or somewhere else.  It's like a slight internal shuttering.  I may move up my Chiropractor's appt. to make sure everything is in alignment, I have upper back pain at times, and have great success with adjustments, and he's an avid runner and helps me with all sorts of injuries.

Thanks for the reply Patti, hope you get it squared away.  Good luck, and drink up !  I'm also looking to 'beef up' my fruit and veggie intake, many are loaded with water, but more importantly can 'time release' that water which I hope to use to my advantage - something to consider.

Thx   - Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue, and a weak feeling Rss Feed